New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New here, and to bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, and to bikes.

Hello my name is Kyle. Just joined up because about a week and a half ago I just bought a 05 Honda CBR600RR. It is my 1st bike, only other thing I have been on is some Honda dirt bikes. The bike rides good. Front tire is getting close to being replaced, tread is almost gone. Rear brakes are very under powered, might just be me but they probably need pads. It has almost 12,800 miles, I need to change the oil and mabye the filter it is sucking down gas more than I figured it would. I noticed the light under the windshield between the head lights is out. I didn't even know if it had a bulb in it, but it does. I tried turning on the high beems and it doesn't come on with them. I have been taking it easy on the bike, I laid it down once...... I live on a real crappy road and the road is all messed up and has potholes and is un even. I was going to turn off the road mabye about 15 I wasn't looking at the speed, but I think the back tire caught a big hole in the road it shook and went to the side a bit and I wasn't able to catch it. Messed up the right side a bit, the bike already had a (custom paint job) I'm thinking the last owner laid it down on the left side. But the bike is good, and I just have a few scrapes.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello & welcome to the site Kyle,glad to have you with us.
Thanx for the short intro,helps us get to know you better
A 600RR is a bit much for a 1st streetbike,but at least you've ridden dirtbikes before so at least you know the basics.
Yes the rear brakes are underpowered...they are on ALL sportbikes. Just look at the size of the rear rotor in relation to the 2 front rotors...big difference huh? Hardly ever use the rear brake on the street let alone the racetrack. I've never ridden a dirtbike proper so I'm just going to assume you use the rear brake mostly .
On pavement all your braking power & traction is on the front tire so I think that's something you might have to get used to.
Sorry to hear about the lowspeed crash,sounds rather minor. Any questions on repairs or 600RR questions is general can be posted in the 600RR forum,lots of helpful guys there.
BTW post some pics of you CBR when you can...luv pics here
Ride safe & keep the rubber side down!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I am working on getting a Mustang right now. It and the bike will both be a project. The bike needs new plastics on the right side. I was thinking of trying to do it 09 Phoenix edition look alike, I saw that bike at a dealer and loved it. Just couldn't afford it. I'd just have to get the plasics have the bike repainted by honda specs and get those decals. That will prbly be a year down the road though... I am still working on buying all my riding equipment right now. I wish I could sue but that would be a waste of time seeing how half of it is my fault, might complain to the apartment people and try to get them to do something with the roads. There is pieces of asphalt laying around that have been ripped up in my drive. Road is totally un-even in most places. A couple years back part of the road caved in under a pickup truck and it fell into the ditch. The road is really bad right there. It is bad and sad. It has been raining and when it hasn't been I have been working on fixn my headlights. I will have pics up soon. It is a really nice bike and Hondas bike quality far surpasses its cars. I love it. The bike stood up better than I did. I rolled a couple times and it messed the helmet it was a loaner helmet for a day... LOL.. They didn't make me pay for it. I got all scrapped up cause I had a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers on. Still gotta get the ridn gear.

Last edited by kylecbr600rr; 09-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 PM

This is a very newb question. I never smelt really bad of fumes when riding dirt bikes or being around my friends Honda Shadow. But everytime I am on my CBR I smell really bad of fumes exhaust / gas. Is that normal. Gas mileage isn't that good... I need to change the oil and filter. Or check the filter. Oil doesn't look to bad, but I don't know when it was last changed. Is the fumes think normal??

Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 PM

first of all dude, no question is a newb question unless its like, "which side is the throttle on?" ok? any question is a good one... and btw welcome to the HONDA family hahaha.
as for ur exhaust question... im gonna say yes its normal, my jacket actually has a slight smell to it.. and everytime my girl rides with me, she tells me her hair smells terribly of exhaust afterwards...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks man. Ya it is real bad. Mabye I will get use 2 it. Or mabye I will get extra time and take the tank off and check injectors and rail. LOL.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 PM

well is it comin from the tank area or the exhaust?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Not really sure, just know I get off the bike smelling of gas/exhaust fumes.. I'll check into it my next day off. If it is something with the injectors or fuel system might explain the bad gas mileage.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

invest in a good helmet.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
mpz

^ and rest of the gear...

Quick Reply: New here, and to bikes.