New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new here

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here

hi i am new to the fourms I am looking to get a Honda CBR 600RR like an 03 what should i be looking for in them when i go to look at them? And what are some common problem with them? thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common problems to all Honda CBRs (it seems) are the Cam Chain Tensioner (to be referred to as CCT or "rattling noise" from here on). And the Regulator /Rectifier (to be referred to as R/R or "smoking lump of plastic" from here on). Both are easy fixes

What to look for beyond that:
  • Previous owner
    Since you're looking for an 03, it'll be used. The previous owner(s) will determine the bike's soundness. A well maintained bike with a single previous owner can be like getting a damn near new bike. A poorly maintained bike with several owners will be a living nightmare.
  • Mileage
    Ties closely with the previous owners. The better the prior ownership, the higher the mileage can climb while still getting a very sound bike.
  • Damage
    A 7 year old bike that's never been dropped is like finding a 21 year old virgin. So it won't so much be a question of if it's been damaged. More of how badly its been damaged. A couple of newb drops (forgot the kickstand, foot in oil) prolly didn't hurt anything but the owner's pride (and maybe the butter-like fairing stay). If she were owned by a stunter, run away. Good hints will be holes in the fairings for frame sliders... but no sliders, inconsistent age of parts (right hand grip newer than the left, rear brake lever newer than the shift lever, stator cover newer than rest of bike). Ask if you can inspect the fairings off the bike. The back of the fairings will show any plastic repairs.

Good luck and welcome aboard. Someone will add anything I might have missed or forgotten (or intentionally skipped so not to frighten you). Go ahead, ask me about my bike's previous owner. I dare ya

Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM

ya because i have found one for sale for like 3400$ with under 10k miles i just wanted to kno if that was good or not?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM

welcome, 600rr is a killer ride...good luck gettin it....peece

Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!! :-)

The 600RR is a fine and very fast bike ... if you get a good one, you will love it :-)

Don't be afraid to walk away though if the bike doesn't look or feel right, there are always plenty more out there

Take care :-)

Jules

Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 AM

welcome! good luck on finding a bike