New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New and have questions about my new F4i!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and have questions about my new F4i!

Howdy folks,

I just purchased an 06 F4i. And I am loving it. However there are few questions that I have that hopefully someone here can help me out with.

First off, I was wondering if there is an online owner manual somewhere that I could go over to learn the basics. The previous owner had lost their copy.

Next off, where exactly is the dipstick. I figured it would be in the same place as my Honda Shadow, but when I unscrewed the oil cap, there was no stick there and looking around I could find. And as far as oil and filter go, is there any preference for the F4i? (I know for my Subaru, they absolutely HATE mobil1)

Riding home I noticed that the clutch line was constantly in my vision of the speedometer, I figured I could fix this with some zipties, but hopefully y'all have a more clever/cleaner way of fixing it.

Lastly, there is a keyhole on the back of the bike above the fender. Can someone enlighten me to what this unlocks?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no dipstick, instead there is a sightglass just forward of where the oil cap is n theres a hole in the side fairing. I use Fram oil filters and Rotella synthetic (in the blue jug). You can try unhooking the clutch cable at the lever and reroute it, sounds like its been removed/replaced b4 and not routed right. Zip ties may work but may also cause it to bind. The keyhole on the back unlocks the seat to allow access to what lil storage space there is there and access to the battery and fuses.

And here is a place you can download a repair manual from.

http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-17.html

Old 07-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Hey there Crazy, congratulations on your new bike. PlayfulGod hooked you up with sound advice. Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic is good stuff; yum. The clutch-cable-in-the-way is inherent to the F4i. Motion Pro sells a clutch cable for it that is 1 inch shorter, and may alleviate that issue.
My question is, why would you care about your speed anyways? J/K
Welcome to the Forum

Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey there and welcome!! :-)

you won't go far wrong with a late F4i

take care :-)

Jules

Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Since I have the banana seat, I'm having trouble lifting it up to access the "storage space". Am I doing something wrong?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

hello & welcome aboard to CBRF
PLayful answered all your questions, so I really dont have anything to add!
Check out the F4i forum,ALOT of us here on the site so if U have any other questions check us out there.
As far as the Nana seat....it should "pop" open when unlocking with the key...U may have to move back/forth perhaps to get the seat unlatched though...not familiar myself with the 'nana seat.
May want to post it in the F4i forum though as not everbody checks out the New Members forum.Someone can answer that ? for you

Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM

I have the banana seat on my 04 f4i.

On mine, I have to turn the key to unlock it and hold the key in the unlock position to slide the seat back so it "pops" up and out of the lock. After that I can release the key and slide the seat off

Old 07-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Quick other questions. What is normal water temps for just cruising around? On a hot sunny FL day I managed to hit ~225. Should I be concerned?

Also, I think i'm not a big fan of the "air scoops" in the front. Is there any way I'd be able to replace them with 04 fairings or something like that?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM

Now that I think about it, how do I go about carrying an extra helmet? I cant seem to find a logical place/"hook" to attach the other helmet once i remove the seat.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Normal operating temps at around 50MPH + / 175˚-190˚F on the highway. Cruising around town (specially in hot FL) the temps will shoot up real quick. The fan should kick in at 223˚, then it will fluxuate between 220˚~225˚. These bikes were designed to stay moving (fast) all the time. Consequently, some guys will install a toggle switch to allow them to run the fan as they see fit.
As for the intake, I don't think you can swap it out for anything without major modification, but that may be better asked down in the F4i Section (more responses) than here.
With the helmet, there's a hook underneath the rear seat on mine (split seat). I would imagine there should be some sort of attachment point under your seat. May want to ask that down below as well

Quick Reply: New and have questions about my new F4i!