New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New guy, turbo 900RR

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New guy, turbo 900RR

Welcome

Old 04-19-2006, 01:22 PM

Wheelie bars bolt on and off, that's how. It's the super-awesome alternative to a stretched swingarm. I keep my ability to corner and throw the bike around, and when I head to the strip I spend about 5 minutes bolting the bars onto the bike and a little longer replacing the rear shock & spring with the solid strut. I suppose I could do the same with two swingarms (one normal, one stretched), but then I'd need two lengths of chain and I'd have more work going back and forth. And on top of that, extended arms don't guarantee you're loop-proof- just a little bit more loop resistant. With 60" bars out the back, I'll be pulling the front wheel a couple inches off the ground, settling all the weight onto the rear, letting those little Pingel wheels do the work, and hope the Metzeler sticks. I'm going to have to get NHRA licensed though, or they're going to kick my stupid *** out after one pass, maybe two. I'm aiming for high 8s at 160mph, and I've stepped my horsepower goal up to 230. If 10psi can be run on a stock compression '94 to make 215hp, and the stock rotating assembly will take at least 260whp, then a low compression 919cc ought to handle 230 on pump gas (91 octane) with a conservative a:f ratio.

I'll be making passes at the normal ride height. It's going to be odd. And my lowering links I bought... useless now with the wheelie bars. Their geometry is different, so they don't bolt into the mounting bracket. Oh well.

The previous exhaust wasn't too loud when idling. OK, it was really loud when idling and it would hurt my ears if I had my head down by it. But it did get maybe a little bit loud when the throttle started to open. Just revving it to the limiter in a parking lot, helmetless, it felt like it was itching my brain for me. On the bike, helemeted, it wasn't too bad. Fly-bys with Matt riding sounded great though. I think the bike is going to have the same basic sound as before, but it just won't be so loud. At least until the turbo spools. And it'll probably be a little loud when the wastegate opens. Before I had pretty much NOTHING for exhaust sound deadening. Now I've got a shorty manifold and a snail for it to be going through. There are plenty of turbo guys just running some 6 inch long dumps straight out the side of the bikes, and they don't seem too loud in the videos. I've got about 2 feet of exhaust under the bike. I'm tempted to just go spend $40 on fluids (oil & antifreeze) just so I can start the bike up to hear it idle.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:18 AM
nkx

thats nuts!

have you thought about alcohol/methanol injection? im not sure about how that would work in a carb situation, but it might help you run a bit more boost without intercooling if you lower the CR.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:33 AM

It'd be do-able on a carbed setup. I was thinking water injection though if that's the case. Or just a water:air cooler instead. I've already got a (small) air:air cooler and a yet-to-be-installed thicker Cometic head gasket to drop compression down. I like the suggestions though.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:39 AM

Hey man, welcome over here. Glad to see you made it. Your bike is looking sweet.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet looking setup -- should be lots of fun One thing though -- if you lower your compression then you'll end up with some lag. Intercooler should be enough to keep the temp down to avoid running a spacer. You mentioned maybe adding air:water intercooler -- that'd be the bomb. I never ran a spacer -- had water injection (aquamist system) and it was enough to keep things from detonating.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:30 PM

Hello & Welcome!!