New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New guy, turbo 900RR

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, turbo 900RR

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board. I think I recognized a couple names from some folks off other boards. Anyhow, I've got a yellow '98 900RR that is just getting the finishing touches of the fabrication done. I'll be bringing it back home tomorrow. Then I need to get the exhaust HPC coated, do the Barnett clutch, Cometic head gasket, dial the cams back in (MegaCycle w/ APE adjustable sprockets), new sprockets and chain (17/43), do the fuel system, boost gauge, and connect up the carburetors' pressurized lines. Then I've got to get it tuned. www.metalmanfab.com is the guy doing my work, and as you can tell, he only deals in top-notch quality.

If SportRider's MrTurbo bike took 13psi on completely stock internals & stock compression ratio w/o an intercooler, and MC-Xpress's 900RR kit makes 185hp, I think I ought to be able to make 200whp on mine since my head gasket is a bit thicker than MC-Xpress's. Anyhow, 200whp is my goal. And my girlfriend bought me wheelie bars for my birthday (this past Saturday), so I ought to be able to really get into the power now. Oh, and I'm running a dual ball bearing Garrett GT25-54R. Should *instantly* spool and shouldn't max out until about 270hp.

Here are some pictures:
Before-
Name:  IMG_4672.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  58.3 KB

After (click the thumbnails for full size)-

Name:  CBREX2FULL.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  23.8 KB
Name:  CBREX3FULL.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  26.8 KB
Name:  CBREX4FULL.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Default RE: New guy, turbo 900RR

Welcome to the baord.................SICKNESS! turbo.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Banned

And my girlfriend bought me wheelie bars for my birthday
You are a lucky man, a turbo bike and a girlfriend that wants you to be able to steer it.

Good to have you on the board.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Retired Administrator

Happy belated birthday and welcome to the forum.

I'd hate to be the guy riding next you with your exhaust. Then again, with the turbo... I'll bet you don't have too many riders next to you

Is this a street rider or are you making it a track only bike?

Old 04-18-2006, 12:18 PM

welcome! DAMN nice bike

Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the hospitality. The bike shouldn't be too loud. If you look at the before picture, that exhaust did hardly anything in terms of sound deadening or slowing down the air before it came out. Turbos make good mufflers, so I think I'll be quieter than before. At least when idling and cruising around. WOT ought to be pretty loud, especially when the wastegate opens and the exhaust starts bypassing the turbine. Should sound like a jet fighter with a deep, tearing roar exhaust sound and a high pitched shriek at the compressor housing. And if it's too loud, Brett (my fabricator) was suggesting we tack one of those cone baffles inside the exhaust to slow the air down a bit. I can't wait to hear it, but it'll be a while before it's got fluids in it and I can even start it.

More than anything, I can't wait to ride again!

Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM

Oh, forgot:

Street bike. I'm not too interested in doing track days on my bike, since I'm afraid I'm going to dump it. I do plenty of canyon rides though, and I've got countless laps around all the local tracks in a variety of cars. The only track my bike will be spending much time at will be the drag strip, but I've got to get NHRA licensed. It's a street bike, and as such is the stock 55" wheelbase and won't have anything done to it that I can't undo for street riding in a matter of minutes. Retaining street bike qualities (cornering, braking, ride height) are extremely important to me.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:27 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 04-19-2006, 06:34 AM

Yes the exhaust before was ridiculous sitting next to at a red light now i can just imagine what it will sound like. Cant wait to see what that thing in action Rob quit being a sissy and bring that thing out already ;-)

Old 04-19-2006, 06:35 AM

Oh yeah and WTF are you doing with a wheelie bar? I know you cant take tortilla like that

Quick Reply: New guy, turbo 900RR