New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New guy...again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy...again!

Name:  bike2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  86.4 KB

Soooooo, here's the dealy-o'. I have an original join date from something like 2008. I bought a co-worker’s CBR1000f for my "get back into it" bike. I commuted on it for a few weeks. Then, when an overly-aggressive tailgater prompted me to “get on it” while starting up the onramp to the interstate, the bike just revved up, instead of launching. I had to run it out of the power band to avoid the slipping of the clutch. Babied it another day or two but, eventually, I couldn’t drive it because the slipping became so bad. So, it got parked. Then, life happened, and it just stayed parked... stuff like:

Name:  Jeep2.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  smores.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  Gabeyellowstripes.jpg
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  Gabesnowshoeing.jpg
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  GabepeekfromtentDogLake.jpg
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  flamingshark.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  Devilsdreamsign.jpg
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  backpacking2.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  backpacking1.jpg
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  Abbysopranowinner.jpg
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  Abbydancepic.jpg
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  rainiernaradafalls1.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  Abgipodiumpic.jpg
Size:  101.0 KB

Name:  Abbywithmedals.jpg
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  Camimedalcloseup.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  8.1 KB

That is just a peek - there is volleyball, soccer, softball, piano lessons, paper routes... like I said: "LIFE." (with a family, that is)

Anyhooo... the ol' CBR has just been sitting there, needing a new clutch.

BUT, now it is back on the FRONT burner again, and here I am, searching threads about slipping clutches & heated grips.

And, since it would seem that I never introduced myself "way back when" when I originally joined up, I thought I'd do it now: "Better Nate than Lever!"

As you can see by the pics, I have 3 rug rats and have an affinity for the outdoors. But, LOOOONG before those hobbies/obligations, there was just me and my bike. Got my first when I was 15 1/2, a Yamaha XT-125. Then, after 5 or 6 months, I got a Honda 500 Interceptor. Then, my senior year of high school, got my first NEW bike, a Honda CB700SC, Nighthawk-S. Rode that home from Wichita while it was snowing, with the biggest grin a kid could have. Never mind that I couldn't feel most of my extremities. Took it cross-country after graduation. Not ALL the way across the country... from Oklahoma down to Florida via the high road, and back again along the coast. Moth-balled that one for Uncle Sam. Un-moth-balled a few years later and it joined me on base on Alameda Naval Station. Sold it to a "ship mate." Bought a Kawasaki KLR-650. Sold it right before I met my wife and got married. That was 1995, so it's been a few years...

Well, anyway, thanks to all those with more knowledge and know-how that contribute to this forum - it's really appreciated!

-Mark (Sharkmeat)

Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice intro Mark. Life certainly happens fast & time slips away b/f you know it. Welcome to CBRF...again! :-)

Glad to hear that the CBR has come full circle & ready to have some attention all its own again. Git R Done! :-)

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome back Mark.
I understand all those things. Let us be your escape from life every once in a while...

Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
...Let us be your escape from life every once in a while...
Thanks. That's the plan, actually.

Memory City, just THINKING about riding... The only difference, I think, has come with age and experience. That is, that most people are dumb and/or oblivious. In most cases, actually. But, especially with regards to "seeing" us on bikes, and acting accordingly. When I was a teenager - and, therefore, invincible - it didn't bother me so much that people were so stupid and trying to kill me all the time. Even in my early twenties, cruising around San Francisco in the wee hours of the morning on a weekend, I wasn't nearly as fearful. Now, age 42 & married with children, it kinda makes a difference. Riding on two wheels has become a double-edged sword for me: one side is escape and bliss. The other, "holy s*** n-shiola, Batman - that numb-nutz is gonna blow that stop sign and make a t-bone outta my geriatric a$$, I just KNOW IT!!!" (verify escape routes, flash brights, down shift, cover all controls, hair on back of neck standing up... You people know the drill. Messes with a guy's ZEN, I tell ya!)

:-)

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-05-2012 at 12:42 PM.