New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Girl!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Girl!

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and to riding, so I thought I'd check in and introduce myself. I've been wanting to learn off and on for a while now, but the bug has bitten me again pretty hard lately, so I figured it's about time to stop thinking about it and start doing it.

I came across this forum earlier today, and I haven't stopped reading since (a good hour of it went to that demotivation thread in the Off Topic section, but that's another topic all together!). I'm excited to learn everything that I can.

I'm taking my MSF course soon and have been researching what bike would suit me best. I automatically fell in love with the 600RR (of course), but from what I've read the f4i is a little friendlier to the beginner so I'm looking into those as well. I've read all the debates about starting on a 250, but I'm still unsure of what I think about it. A guy in my neighborhood has a new one, and although it's great for a small bike, I pass by it in the parking lot and I can't help but think that maybe it's almost too small. I'm a bit older (31), divorced a few years ago, and have no interest in racing around town like an idiot, so I see the reasoning for people who suggest starting with the 250 in order to work your way up. I'm not hellbent on a bigger bike just for the sake of it being bigger and cooler, but at the same time I want to invest in something that I will actually be excited about and want to go get on, and I'm just not sure that bike is the 250 for me. The final decision is still up in the air though, I'm still reading and trying to figure it out before I jump on one bandwagon or the other. Either way I do know I want to buy older and used so that when I ding it up I won't cry too hard about it.

Whatever I end up with, I'm happy I've decided to get this ball rolling. I'm excited to finally be doing something other than just thinking I'd eventually like to learn!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Julie !
I'd buy a good secondhand 600 - just be a bit careful on the throttle and you'll be fine..... Either the F4i or the RR. Both will make you smile a lot.
Take someone with you when you view a bike, who knows what to look for in a good bike.
There are some unscrupulous sellers out there............

Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
BTW , I deleted your duplicate post .....
...and I merged the other thread with a response.

welcome to the forum julie, sounds like you have a good plan doing some reading and research before you take the leap. based on your explanation, my recommendation is the same as shadow's. do you have any seat time on anything, or will the MSF be your 'introduction' to riding?
btw, we also have a ladies lounge section -- you might post up in there to get a woman's perspective on the matter if that interests you.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Were in FL are you? I'm in Sarasota County. It would be nice to have another girl to ride with.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard Julie!

I like the fact that you have given careful consideration to the 250 vs 600 for a starter bike. This shows a great deal of maturity about how you are approaching motorcycling. You obviously have respect for the power but want room to grow quickly. No one will fault you for that...especially since you are taking the MSF & have been doing research on riding, bikes, etc.

Yes, many of us here recommend the 250 for new riders due to the learning curve w/ modern 600s. The 250 isn't meant to be a keeper-bike but rather a stepping stone on the way to the 600. The 250 will allows a new rider to hone skills w/a lighter more forgiving bike. Once those skills are ready for the 600, you're ready to move up. For some, that can be a matter of a few months...for others, longer.

In your case, at your maturity level, I believe you could start on a 600. Just keep in mind that less-forgiving level that the 600 will have. Things will happen that much quicker w/a heavier & more powerful bike. If you start on the 600, just maintain that maturity level & be aware of the bike's power & characteristics. Practice riding, turns, & stopping in large parking lots til you get more comfortable.

We're happy you found us. Hope we can be of help in your riding research & maybe have a little fun along the way learning. :-)

Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And sorry for the duplicate post, oops! I agree, I definitely plan on taking someone with me that has some knowledge about what to look for before I buy anything, and someone who can take it for a little more aggressive test ride than I would be able to. I'm starting fresh in the experience department so the course will be my first time riding on my own. Probably not a bad idea to take the course and get a feel for it before I make any definite decisions on what to buy. I'm leaning toward the 600 but I'll be using a 250 for the MSF, so it will give me an idea.

TechGirl, I'm in Gainesville.. Not TOO far to go. Once I get some experience under my belt and actually make it out of my apartment parking lot for more than a mile at a time we'll have to make that happen. I agree, it would be good to have another girl to ride with!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by TechGirl1414
Were in FL are you? I'm in Sarasota County. It would be nice to have another girl to ride with.
And pictures of your riding adventures together.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF
keep in mind the power the 600 has. i got on mine for the first time at the begining of the year and i came off a 125 dirtbike. the power difference was insane (not trying to compare dirt to street) just trying to say be carefu with the throttle.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Why was't I notified about this thread......

Hi. I'm Nate.

Quick Reply: New Girl!