New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

the new girl

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the new girl

Hi all...I don't have a CBR...yet...and am actually here for some expert advice. I've been riding on the back for about 4 years, finally in 2008 I took the MSF course and got my license, now I just need to find a bike! There is a 92 f2 with a 96 f4 motor for sale. I'm almost positive this is the same bike I saw for sale a couple months ago, so I'm not sure if someone bought it and is selling it already or if it is the same guy. Anyway, he's asking $1900, it has cracked plastic and he says the timing chain needs replaced, that it's the tensioners and the kit to fix it is only $18. I was also told that an f4 motor wouldn't fit in the f2, so I'm not sure what's up with that. From the picture it's not the prettiest bike in the world, which is fine with me since it'll be my first bike.

Sorry this is getting really long. I guess I'm just looking for some rider's experience with f2, is it a good starter bike? I was thinking about going to look at it today and see if he'll take $1600 or so if it looks alright. My boyfriend is tired of hearing me talk about bikes, but I was curious of some other opinions. Thanks for reading!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board! If you have some mechanical skills then it might be a good deal for you. But I'll be honest, anytime I hear of "mod B" motor being crammed into "mod C" frame it kinda worries me. Won't cost anything to go look at it. Make sure he cranks it up and runs it around the block.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 PM

I can definitely say it sounds a little fishy to me. If it has a '96 motor in it, it has to be an F3 and not an F4, because the F4 wasnt produced until '99. If the cam (timing) chain needs to be replaced, its around $66 USD for a new OEM part (bikebandit.com) and another $66 for the OEM cam chain tensioner, and depending on how bad of condition the chain is it may have worn down the guides and sprockets which will also need to be replaced-$70 for the sprocket set, and around $120 or so for the guides. Granted thats probably worst case scenario, still something to consider. Its not really to hard to replace these parts if you have a little bit of mechanical skill (or know somebody that would do it for cheap/free/beer). Id bring up the cost of these parts to the seller maybe you can bring the price down more. Its not a bad buy if your willing to put a little time/cash into it.
I would also ask the seller the circumstances surrounding the new motor and why hes selling it. And like stretcher said make sure he starts it and rides it around the block!

O yea and how many miles does the motor have on it?

Last edited by P_Glasovatz; 12-06-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I talked to him and went to look at it. He had all the plastic off and it all looked really bad, it was bad enough it would have to be replaced. Also, he couldn't get it start, it backfired several times and wouldn't run (although it is cold here). The whole motor thing really makes me nervous...I'm not necessarily mechanically inclined, though I know people that are and I'm planning to learn a lot, but with this being my first bike I want to make sure I'm on something dependable. We knew something was up with that, and he told me it was from a junk yard, I don't know why it was changed. I want something that looks decent, and a couple of scratches and scuffs aren't going to bother me much, but at this point I'm not willing to put the money into new plastic. I'm not picky about the looks, but I do need something that runs good. I'm kind of disappointed, I'm really wanting to get on a bike soon, but I'm going to have to keep looking. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM

I'd stay away from modded bikes as a new rider. Treat them like the plague. Dunno if the person that did the modding knew what he was doing. Dunno how far from the intended stability Honda spent years developing into the stock design. Dunno how much more the mods are going to make you dig into your pocket if something breaks. For what he's asking, you can prolly find a good stock bike on Ebay. And have it shipped to you for a little more if it's outside your travel radius.

Your confidence will be your greatest tool in learning to ride. It'll affect every action you take on the bike. Questioning your skill can be a good thing, as it'll keep you from doing something stupid. Questioning your bike's integrity is not a good thing.

Its winter in Iowa. Give the ppl there time to drool over the 2010 bikes and they'll be jumping to change their current bike into a down payment. So be patient, setup a custom search on Ebay and wait for something good. The colder it gets, the longer it eats garage space, the lower the prices will drop.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Kuroshio, and for the idea CBRclassic... I spent some time this afternoon checking out Ebay and I know there are other, better bikes out there for me. I had looked at a Katana back in August and was all set to buy it, but I knew it wasn't something I would be happy with for the at least two years I'd be riding it before I traded up. I had decided then that I would wait until at least February or so, that way I'd have some cash saved and be closer to riding season. When I saw that one come up this morning I just couldn't help but call on it. It's hard because I've been dying for my own for so long...it's so hard to wait!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM

By the way CBRclassic, that bike in Iowa City was on Craigslist...I can't remember how long ago, but I've seen it before!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
and no probs thatsarachik, we are all here to help in any way we can ....
BTW - whats your first name miss ??
Hmm.... just a 'rang in a bushes but I'm gonna guess "Sara"

Quick Reply: the new girl