New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to the Fourm, need gear advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Fourm, need gear advice

Hey Everyone. I'm setup for my saftey course this May. So far in my research I belive I will be going with an 09 CBR.

First things first though... Could you guys give me some advice on what brands I should be looking into for quality protective gear... Helmets, boots, jackets ect. there's alot out there to choose from. I willing to pay to be protected, and willing to pay more to be protected with something comfortable and stylish.

Off the batt Im looking at this leather jacket... Super Ego, by joe rocket

http://www.newenough.com/street/prot...le_jacket.html

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Good idea on the MSF, learn the good habits and practice them. Your head is the best tool, Protect it, get a good quality helmet (Snell, dot approved) leather gloves and jacket are a good choice too. Brand is up to you. Welcome and Ride safe

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy, Swann...
I don't have any advice on that particular jacket, but leather with armor is always a good idea.
Different brands tend to bring different opinions wherever you go, so I generally read a bunch of reviews and try to figure out which features I like and which I don't. Certain brands fit differently on certain people, too. If you hate it, you can always send it back.

Welcome to the forum, man.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Definitely see if you can try the gear on locally first, it's important that gear fits you proper and snug. Too loose, and it becomes practically useless. Look into some gloves, helmet, and armored pants as well, or at the very least, knee pads. My stupid self didn't wear my knee pads the first day I got them, and what did I end up with? A nice hole in my shin! Safety first, my friend.

BTW, more expensive helmets fit way better than cheaper ones. I'd recommend Shoei helmets, I got a killer deal on one because it was a discontinued model and it fits fantastic compared to most other cheap helmets out there. Alpinestars makes good gloves and jackets too.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, a good helmet , gloves, boots and pants are good.

If you are in a hot weather climate, mesh with armor is good.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Default safety

heya

i don't know what you got over there, but the most expensive helmet i think is still Arai and they look pretty najs , you can choose different varietes of gear! but everybody has his own taste! Here we got Richa, Alpinestars,ect......you just have to choose the best wich fits best for you,no matter what the price is
well thats my idea but hey who am i

well drive safe & take care!
Greetings.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Thanks alot everyone, I'm near baltimore so I'm useing the net to find what I like...and useing these places online sources to find local dealers. I'm hear you loud and clear... I am Not looking to spent thousands on a bike and then skimp on the gear that could save my life.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks alot everyone for your responses. I'm useing the net to find initially look for what I like threw these brands pages, and then useing their "find a dealer" to see if anyone local carries the stuff. I hear everyone loud and clear....I'm not planing to spend thousands on a bike and then skimp on gear which can save my life.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rommy
Definitely see if you can try the gear on locally first, it's important that gear fits you proper and snug.
+1

even the best gear won't do anything if it doesn't fit you right!

Welcome to the forums!
Good luck on the CBR hunt!

Keep in mind the insurance on those guys is a bit high!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix

Keep in mind the insurance on those guys is a bit high!

Insurance isn't bad (at least, in my opinion). I have a point on my record, I'm only 22, male, and I'm paying $33 a month for liability. That's definitely reasonable in my book, at least.

Quick Reply: New to the Fourm, need gear advice