New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new to forum, stepping up to an 08 600RR

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to forum, stepping up to an 08 600RR

I know the feelings on the "graffiti" paint job are mixed, but we just bought a 2008 CBR600RR in Graffiti/Black. Wife and I have been sharing a 2001 Ninja 250 for a while. The Ninja is a lot of fun, you can really throw it around a lot, but at a certain point, the rear wheel is just too skinny, and there's a limit you have to respect unless you want a low-side.

We were buying her a new set of gloves when we ran across the CBR. I'd seen one a few months ago and said, wow, that is a great looking bike, but at the time, we just weren't in the market for a 600. I let her wander off and find her gloves (women and clothes, go figure), and she comes back to find me on the Honda, tucked onto the bike like I was driving to work, there in the showroom. She gave me that look, and I said, "yeah. This is it."

After some arguing about "do you really need another toy?" and the inevitable, "are you sure you want to buy a new bike? can't you just get a used one?", we came to an agreement. The longer we argued, the less likely the chances were the Graffiti was still going to be there. I didn't want a red, yellow, tricolor, orange, whatever. I wanted that bike. We went back to the dealer, put the money on it, and literally two seconds after the guy's given me my receipt, this guy comes in, plonks his butt on it, and goes to ask the cashier how much it costs. Good thing I bitched and moaned as much as I did about needing a new toy, eh?

So, to be frank, the step from a carburetted 250 Ninja to a 600RR is huge. I have a very healthy respect for the bike, and don't expect to be driving it anywhere near the limits of either its or my ability any time soon. The jump is partially because I'm 6'5" and needed a bigger bike, and partially so we can take the bikes out together. But, since she can fit the Honda, we'll both also grow as riders.

We haven't taken delivery – it's been ugly and rainy here (I am effectively in DC, I live a few blocks from the Pentagon) – and they're going to be putting the frame sliders (I looked at a bunch and I just like the Puig ones the most) and rear spools on. I have been thinking about the "knee grips" (carbon fiber on a black bike! oooo!), adjustable levers, and a double-bubble, but I intend to ride the bike for a while just to get a feel for what she's like before I go changing things.

The quick story on how I got to bikes (everyone's got a story, right?) was that as a teenager I was really into fast cars. I built Datsun Z's from wrecks at the San Diego yards, and eventually settled into an unholy 82 Turbo that pulled off just shy of 180mph (only ever did that once). I knew then, I just wasn't responsible enough to own a bike, and never did. Then my wife and I were deployed to Taiwan, and it became clear we were going to have to know how to ride a bike, and we had a discussion about whether I (I'm the problem, not her) was responsible enough to own something really fast (aside from the Z, which I still own, we have a Subaru STI), and we tenuously agreed. Time on the 250 has taught me a lot, and I think we're both (but especially me, right?) ready for the 600.

Can't wait. Love the bike.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: new to forum, stepping up to an 08 600RR

Hello and welcome to the forums!! :-)

Congratulations on getting *that* bike ..sounds like you were really lucky!!

Heres the 600RR forum ...

https://cbrforum.com/forumid_9/tt.htm

If you want to chill and have fun come and join the action in Off Topic :-)

https://cbrforum.com/forumid_3/tt.htm

Enjoy your stay!! :-)

Jules

Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board! Nice long post there fella ... all newbs should take a lesson from you on first post etiquette Congrats on the new bike ... I like the graffiti paint ... main thing is you like it!

So once ya get it home post up some pics so we can drool [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher
Welcome to the board! Nice long post there fella ... all newbs should take a lesson from you on first post etiquette Congrats on the new bike ... I like the graffiti paint ... main thing is you like it!So once ya get it home post up some pics so we can drool [sm=drooldude.gif]
Gregg ... by the way ...
someone has to take those keys to the Locks off you mate
I bet you were a prefect or hall monitor at school ?
Someone said 'aye' ... my hands were tied And I was kid smokin in the bathroom not monitoring a hall. I liken my job here to tending preschool [8D]

Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome avriette ... Sounds like that ended up being an expensive pair of gloves but worth it I'm sure.