New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New dude sayin What ^

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New dude sayin What ^

Hello all!

Looking forward to the forum and the CBR experience.

I just picked up a new-to-me 98 CBR F3 Smokin Joe's ed. It's fun as hell! I told myeslf I was going to take my time and really get a good feel for the bike b4 I started doing anything with speed. Well, I rode with a buddy who's been riding for over a decade last weekend (keep in mind I bought this two weeks ago). I couldn't hold a windy on-ramp curve and put my baby in the wall at about 40 or 45. Long story short, I knocked the two bros pipe off, scratched the **** out of the plastic, and broke the right side handle bar... along with my thumb. The bike came with a Micron high mount that I will install and some plastic pieces for that area that I may or may not replace yet. If anyone could help me out with what I should be searching for in regard to the right side handle bar and/or how to istall it, I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty good with a wrench (I had three fox body mustangs) so I'm hoping to get back up and running on my own here!

I just bought this bike, a new snowboard and bindings, and will have to pay for this $1500 surgery on my thumb so as you can imagine.... trying to keep cost down.

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to the forum experience.

~Smokin Joe

Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New dude sayin What ^

Welcome to the Forum.
Sweetbike looks smok'n hot!
Sorry to hear about your slight miss-hap. Hopeyou heal up soon and get back in the saddle.
E-bay seem to be a good place to get parts and plastics, be carefull of some sellers.
Any ?'s you have on bikes, prolly search first then ask.
Lots of experienced forum members here to help you out.

Good luck, be safe, and keep usposted.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Hey thanks kodiac.

You know, I did a lot of searching and really didnt find much on how to replace handle bar. I was checking out the forum for hours last night. Cant walk much yet.

The handle bar seems to be filled with a solid, concrete like substance that in my searching last night I found and believe to be the handle bar weight filler. Is this pretty important? I've found replacement handle bars on e-bay but they dont have that inside. Mine snapped in two along with the handle bar so I assume I need to get another. Do I just need the bar itself (everything attached to the right handle bar will disconnect and reconnect to the new bar???) b/c Ive noteiced one or two on ebay that come with everything attached to the bar already. Also, I've noticed some that come with what looks like no bar ends. Can I take off my bar ends and put them on the new bars?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Welcome to the forum. I too am a new cbr owner. I bought a '06 CBR 1000 RR brand new a week ago. I would post a pic on here but it says all my pics I have are too big. Sorry to hear that you ran in to the side of the on ramp. It is a great looking bike you have. I hope you get fixed up.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM

were you trying to keep up with your buddy?...

if you were... try going at ur own pace next time... its a huge mistake new riders make all the time... there is nothing embarrasing about it.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM

oh yea... wish you a speedy recovery... and hope you get back on the road quick!....

Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your thumb. I broke mine skiing a few years back, they take a while to heal. Glad your not going to lose interest in the sport.
+1 on riding at your own pace. Be safe and have fun!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:16 PM

smart looking bike, shame about the accident. take it easy when you get back on the road

emxx

http://www.myspace.com/ems_249

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Thanks everyone... much appreciated!

I'll def. be takin my own pace and do more riding solo to get better acquainted with the bike b4 riding over confidently again.

I would really like to keep my bike and myself in one piece!