New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New CBR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR Owner

Hello Honda People,

I'll be honest, until now I've owned one Honda - a 1990 CG125. That bike taught me many things - mainly that "Honda Reliability" is clearly a myth spread by people who only ride their bikes in the good weather!

I sold that bike last week for the princely sum of £150 (which is a small profit, moreso considering many parts for it still lurk in my garage).

This week, I've picked up a CBR600F1 Hurricane for the same princely sum!

Only pictures I have right now as it's not even at my house yet!

It's got all the original bodywork, all painted white. Not sure if it's a rough paintjob or just a dirty bike - at £150 I couldn't lose so didn't spend long looking at it.

All original bodywork is there, with a scrub up it could be pretty good. It has a full 1980's Micron System with a Carbon Fibre can on it, the wheels have been powder coated silver, and have a pair of new tyres on, and it has new chain and sprockets too, along with braided lines front + back.

It also has a spare engine too!
The bike was last on the road over 5 years ago, and I don't intend on changing that.

I've got a Kawasaki ZZR600E with various mods (late bodywork from a 2001 ZX6R, ZX10R forks, ZX6R swingarm in the works, few other bits too) for the road - this little bargain is going to be my track machine!

I've already looked (bought the bike yesterday) for Hurricane race fairing, which it seems there isn't any for a sensible price (the same reason I fitted 6R fairing to the ZZR), so I've decided it'll be a retrofit again!
I'm undecided on what year to go for, but I'm not in a rush.
I'm hoping to find a buyer for the full set of Honda OEM bodywork, and I'm hoping to get enough to cover the cost of buying some Race Fibreglass - Ricambi Weiss, 160 Euro's for the front and sides http://ricambiweiss.com/en/honda/282...cbr-600-f.html

I'm quite happy to take a grinder to the subframe of the bike, forever removing it's pillion-carrying capabilities and fitting whatever fibreglass ****-end I can pick up cheapest since I paid out minimally for the bike to begin with.

I'm also planning to swap the wheels out for newer ones to allow me to run the more conventional 120/70-17 and 180/55(or60)-17 tyre sizes. I'm thinking a swingarm swap will be required for the rear, but I'm hoping that the front end only needs a rim + spacers.

I think if I sell the stock bodywork, find someone to trade me their stock system (or tatty full system) + cash for the top condition Micron system, and someone to trade their stock wheels + cash for the Powder Coated wheels + new tyres, I'll be pretty much funding this project under it's own steam!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve.
Good luck with all your mods. You do realize that the fairing in the link is for an F4i, don't you?

Please be advised that you can't sell stuff here until you reach 100 posts. Keep posting, you will get there in no time.....

Nice calender, BTW

Old 05-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Official Glory Detailer

Hi Steve welcome to the forum . Nice bike .

Old 05-07-2014, 04:23 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. Nice original bike. Im sure you will get a penny for the fairings. Hope you get it sorted and back up in no time.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! That's a pretty nice condition baby 'cane! A swinger swap probably will be needed for the rear, but like you said, I wouldn't think you'd need one for the front.

You could however just swap everything over to a newer front end - which would also take care of the problem. Finding one from an F3 or even if you wanted to go more crazy - a 600rr - would probably require less work than custom spacers would be for the rim. The other benefit is better brakes along with newer suspension components and a wider array of aftermarket springs and valve kits. If your front end is in good condition, selling it would probably make it a very cheap swap.

I hope you post a build thread too - especially for when you pull out the grinder. I'd look forward to seeing that very much. Newer RS125 race tails look mighty nice in case you have to piece together a fairing set.

Again, welcome to the forum. We look forward to seeing your bike take shape.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:18 AM

Hello and welcome! Whats this about reliability being a myth said by people who ride in nice weather?

I'm new to Hondas and bikes altogether, so I'm not quite sure I know the reference

Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to cbrf

Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome congrats on the f1, best of luck with the project keep us up to date or start a thread in the 600f1 section, you will find them a helpful bunch if you have any questions

Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Don't suppose anyone can help out - I've logged into here using Facebook but it doesn't work on my mobile, is there any other way of logging in without using the Facebook button or do I need to make an account here?

Originally Posted by Colombo
Hello and welcome! Whats this about reliability being a myth said by people who ride in nice weather?

I'm new to Hondas and bikes altogether, so I'm not quite sure I know the reference
Well, the CG had bits falling off now and then which apparently doesn't happen to Honda's according to some people :P

Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You have an account here already. Go to cbrforum.com and log in with your user name and password.

Quick Reply: New CBR Owner