New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to bikes, not Honda though!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to bikes, not Honda though!

Hey everyone, just picked up a 2000 F4 with 17k miles on it. Got it for 1500 with no fairings. A bit of a streetfighter look. Came with a Delkavic slip on and a custom Triumph exhaust. Pretty sure I'm going to clean up the Triumph and run that exhaust although it's a bit heavier.

Right side frame damage, welds are still great and minor scuffs.

Also came with a brand new Tomahawk rear tire (haven't heard many great things about this tire, but I won't be going crazy any time soon to need anything else)

A few other aftermarket parts that I likely will not use as well. Vortex
RK quick acceleration 520 race chain and sprocket kit (currently on the bike). Along with a Vortex front and rear sprocket kit.

Will be looking for some fairings to cover up the blemished frame.

Also have a 2009 Honda Civic Si and am a moderator over on 8thcivic.com.

I look forward to learning much about this bike and bikes in general!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Here are some pictures. I'd love feedback or opinions on how to 'restore' it back to somewhat of a stock state.

Thanks!

Name:  1a09623b.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  90387e7d.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  ab71a54a.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  118.9 KB

The bad:

Name:  05ad82a6.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  104.1 KB

Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome. The F4 is a powerful, reliable, and comfortable motorcycle. Check out our F4 section!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the CBR forum.
Bikes are way more fun than cars. Give it some time and you will not want to be stuck in a car anymore! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks! With this heat lately, the car is a little more comfortable I've heard with some A/C, but soon it will cool down and I will have to ride!

Has an RK 520 sprocket and chain right now. I have the stock sprocket and chain, which I will likely be putting back on. No need to mess with sprocket changes right now!

A lot of zipties holding this thing up. :hmm:

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-08-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like it needs some work. There is no better way to learn a bike than bringing it back to life.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 PM

well, i got it for 1500 with 17k miles. i expected at that price to have to put some work into it. but it runs great, so i will slowly restore it.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as its solid mechanically w/ straight frame, you can bring that bike back. You'll need the air ducts & covers, windscreen, & a new seat of fairings. We have a fairing supplier who's a forum sponsor here on the forum (motorcyclefairingsrus). Be sure to check them out for your plastics needs. I'm sure they can hook you up w/a set of OEM look-alike fairings. Also, looks like the rear needs some attention as far as the tail light & signals go. I'm sure that's on your to-do list already.

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you w/ us.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM

hey, thanks for the warm welcome! It seems the previous owner(s) were more zip tie inclined than mechanically inclined. Everything is held by zip ties, I'm gonna call her Zip.

I am definitely looking for some fairings. I'll check out the sponsor. Since I need them, I was thinking the F4i fairings, but does that require to replace the rear seat frame?

Mechanically, it's solid! Needs an exhaust for a little more torque, but I have those, just need to figure out what the hell they did to this custom Triumph exhaust...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by h0ndafanat1c
... It seems the previous owner(s) were more zip tie inclined than mechanically inclined. Everything is held by zip ties, I'm gonna call her Zip.
"Zip" that's good. ;-)

I am definitely looking for some fairings. I'll check out the sponsor. Since I need them, I was thinking the F4i fairings, but does that require to replace the rear seat frame?
You can do a front fairing conversion. However, keep in mind that if you want to retain your F4 gauges, you'll have to do some rigging of your own. The F4i uses a dif front fairing stay to accommodate both the dif fairings & gauges. However, all of this is possible & we have write-up/how-to's in the F4 section, w/ pics as well.

As for the tail... You can keep the banana seat (OEM on F4 & '04-06 F4i) or you can do a split-seat conversion to be like the '01-03 F4i. I did the split-seat conversion on my 2000 F4 & have my tutorial available to help you if you want to do it. The link to my tutorial is in my sig-line. If you do the split-seat conversion, you'll need the '01-03 split-seat subframe, battery tray/undertail, tail cowl, seats, & misc hardware. Its a straight forward conversion.

Mechanically, it's solid! Needs an exhaust for a little more torque, but I have those, just need to figure out what the hell they did to this custom Triumph exhaust...
Good to hear. As long as its a solid bike, you can save it. ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to bikes, not Honda though!