New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Bikes

hi! I don't even know where to begin. I'm seriously considering purchasing a CBR. I'd like to spend around $4k (used?) on one as it is my first one, and I don't really want to go over 600cc's. I'm 26 and getting married in July. I know about bikes enough to know the differences and such, however, i'm not sure really what to look for. In fact, i'm a little concerned overall about getting a bike in the first place. I really like the Honda CBR's, especially the 900's. However, i think that is way to much power for me right now. I don't want end up with my head in a tree. I would appreciate some intelligent feedback, for a first time (maybe) buyer/user.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:39 AM
Default RE: New to Bikes

No bike is too big if you have half a brain. I started on an R1 and it was fine. As long as you respect the kind of power a bike like that has you'll be good to go.
By the way, IMO I love a big bike more, if for no other reason than when you have to pass someone you can do it quickly. I don't like oncoming traffic that much lol

Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: itomek

hi! I don't even know where to begin. I'm seriously considering purchasing a CBR. I'd like to spend around $4k (used?) on one as it is my first one, and I don't really want to go over 600cc's. I'm 26 and getting married in July. I know about bikes enough to know the differences and such, however, i'm not sure really what to look for. In fact, i'm a little concerned overall about getting a bike in the first place. I really like the Honda CBR's, especially the 900's. However, i think that is way to much power for me right now. I don't want end up with my head in a tree. I would appreciate some intelligent feedback, for a first time (maybe) buyer/user.
Hello and welcome to the site

For the amount you willing to pay I would suggest a Ninja 250 msrp $3999 (brand new) or for about $2500 for a used one. Great first bike to learn on if you are not sure about riding a motorcycle. Also it's a must for anyone who are starting out riding to take a MSF class they will teach you alot on safty stuff and how to ride a motorcycle.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 AM

Hey Itomek- I was in your shoes about two weeks ago. I debated for about 3 months on wether or not to get a sport bike and finally did it. I had never even sat on a sport bike before walking into the dealership and two weeks later, it's the greatest purchase of my life. I do ride dirt bikes so I have experience on motorcycles, but nothing on the streets. The 600RR to me is an excellent bike and while it has a lot of power, if you respect it, you'll be fine. Good luck in your search and let us know what you go with.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and welcome. If you're not really sure about riding, I recommend you start by taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. This is a good place to start anyway, and you use their bikes. After the two day course, you'll have a better idea if this is something you want to do, plus you'll have a good foundation for being a safe rider.

Then, assuming your total budget is $4,000, factor in what you'll have to spend on gear - helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, pants, plus your first year's insurance. What's left over is what you can spend on a bike, although sometimes when you buy a used bike, the seller will throw in some gear.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 AM

hmm... thanks for the great feedback, very interesting. I did check out that Ninja 250R, it looks pretty neat. I didn't think about the insurance aspect. Is the insurance much higher than for a car? i guess I would imagine so...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, liability insurance is a lot less than for a car since you can't do as much damage to anyone but yourself.

But don't even think about riding without good health insurance (and life insurance, if you have a wife, kids, or anyone else who depends on you financially).

Old 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Definitely take the MSF course. They will teach you a lot of things which come in handy. Also, no matter what you get, don't ride outside your ability. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM

i'm still fairly new to bikes, i have one summer under my belt on a 99 600 F4. just picked up a 2003 F4I and will have it road ready soon.

just my opinion but i think the 600 is a perfect all around bike for myself. after my first summer on a 600 i felt i wanted a bigger bike with more power. that was 2 years ago and now i think a 600 is all the bike i need. maybe because i'm 40 years old i don't crave the stunts/wheelies or ***** to the wall power of a 1000cc bike. but then again i've never been on one. all i can say is i think the 600 is the perfect first bike, all the bike i want or need.

you'll decide for yourself i'm sure, but i don't think you could go wrong with a 600.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Quick Reply: New to Bikes