New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to the bike world.. a Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the bike world.. a Q

Hey I'm new here.

My fiance has a 2005 (I think) Honda 919and
recently we have been talking it over that I should get a bike this spring. I am looking to get something to start with that I am not going to get bored of after a few months to a year. Something worth keeping. So I am kinda hooked on the idea of getting a '95 CBR600F3. Just wondering if anyone has one out there that is bone-stock that could tell me about how much torque it has off the line when -not- trying to pin it. Is it going to jam me back or could I handle it? I'm about 130lbs, and 5'7". Anyone willing to put in their 2 cents?

Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Default RE: New to the bike world.. a Q

Im sure that the 95 03 may give ya a few thrills here and there at the start and if its your first ride ..i would say go for it...better to learn on something a lil more forgiving as far as power is concerned because as we all know it gets ugly fast in traffic and if you know what your bike can do your better in tune with how to **** and get..where as if you are on something u have never tapped for power..and it gets away....OMG...ride the F3 for a season and decide if riding is for u...some people forget that its alot more work than driving a car...constant use of all 4 limbs...both hands both feet and your posture but its soo rewarding because not everyone can do it...and by far the most liberating....im sure that alot of us here will go all in on that one...so welcome aboard and by all means.... any more questions ask because there are no such thing as stupid questions...o wait....off topic gets pretty dumb now and again..so......my 2 cents..

Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Well right now I am asking my fiance non-stop questions, how to lean, when to shift, when to hold in the clutch etc..and we came across an idea.

I know you are all going to think I am a ***** but I have had an issue before with one of my old bikes (And I mean old, try an early 80's ish 175 honda) getting away on me because for some stupid reason I revved the hell out of it, thinking I was in neutral (keep in mind I was 14 at the time) and I ended up doing some stupid motocross Superman across my front yard. I managed to hold on to it, didnt even lay it downbut I have a slight fear of doing something like that on a bike that could leave me behind on my butt.

Anyways, our idea was to attempt to limit the throttle for my first week or so while I am practising out at the airport. I am not sure the exact wording, but a plastic tube on the throttle cable or something so that it can only be pulled back so far before it is maxed out. Any ideas on this subject?

FYI: Call my a ***** all ya want, I can take it, I am also wanting a steering damper to save myself from fear of speed wabble (Which I am a past sufferer)

Old 02-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Great choice of bike, I had a 97 F3 as my first bike. They are alittle heavy but damn reliable and plenty of power throughout the entire powerband. It will lift the front end off the ground if you pin it in first but that goes for any sportbike. Its a very user friendly bike, I would still have if i didn't get such a great deal on my current bike.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM

My advice would be to take the MSF. It's not just for brand new riders. They even have 2 levels (at least around here). Beginners and Experienced. Take it, it's fun and you'll still learn something even if you've ridden before. The beginners class they supply the bike. Take that one, get used to riding again. Then if you still want a bike, get it and take the experienced class where you use your own bike. Great way to get started all over again.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Well I'm from Canada, not sure if they have the same msf course here. Looking it up on Google, it seems to be something completely unrelated. Haha, awesome. Well my Fiance has a bunch of other older biks, but they are heavy as hell, and I wouldnt feel comfortable on them to practise.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM

In Canada looks like it is called: The National Motorcycle Training Program

Try this search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks, looks like something I could look in to for sure!! Do you have any comments on my question to do with limiting the throttle?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM

Well, off the top of my head that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Throttle control is something that needs to be learned. On the surface, limiting the throttle may have merits for a day or two... depending on where you're going to ride and so on.

I'd say start on a smaller bike that won't bite so hard, but that's just me.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Welcome,

you can always bring your wrist down most to give you less of a pull back and less of a chance to get on it.

Quick Reply: New to the bike world.. a Q