New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new to the bike frat

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the bike frat

I have recently purchased a cbr rr 600. I have read how some people can get into trouble I have owned the bike for a week and Im still just hitting over 4 MPH!!! I am not into a racing or going fast I just want to ride. I want to take my time with this bike, I mean I am in no rush I have an isolated large parking lot I can use for the next 2 years for practice. I owned a 97 camaro SS and 0-60 was under 6 seconds, the bike is faster I learned the hard way to respect power with fast cars. I spend atleast three house just sittin on the bike working on standing it up, supporting myself with my middle section, and peg positions. The most I have done is let the clutch disengage and role a couple of feet, getting used to the rear brake, clutch and rolling with my feet off the ground. After reading the threads I feel maybe I should have got the ninja 650. WHAT CAN I DO TO TAKE THE POWER OFF THE GAS, i have noticed that i am supporting myself with my wrist and it makes the throttle to to about 2k rpms, I keep the clutch in though so theres no mishaps. Is there a way to put "stopper so I can only get 30% of gas or lower? I think it will take me atleast 2 months before i even start do turns, etc. I got a friend that rides a TL to help me with learning other than the MSF course what do yall suggest. Im looking that I wont even hit the roads for 6-8 months is this too slow??????

Old 08-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: new to the bike frat

Welcome to the forum. You're taking baby steps and that's what you need to do to keep yourself safe.

Don't do anything until you are ready to. The riding posture of the RR doesn't make the perfect beginner bike. You need to support more if not all of your weight with your legs and back. Squeeze the tank and relax your arms. You elbows should be down.

Be careful. You might want to check your local MSF course. Some offer a beginners class where they teach those with little to none rider experience and they supply a smaller bike. The MSF is for those that already know how to ride a bike. They just teach you the basics of safety and how to handle situations that are everyday riding like road hazards and such.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Hi there, better to be safe than sorry albeit too slow a speed will hurt your wrists and make balance more difficult. You wil read a lot here about the rr not being a novices bike. Whilst that is true, as it develops most of its power at about 8,000+ RPM, below that it is all quite progressive and novice friendly when compared to some of the sports twins which will wheelie or wheel spin much lower down the rev. range.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:52 PM

The best advice i can give you is to take a deep breath and Relax. It sounds like your pretty tense on your bike. As far as the throttle goes, just take it easy and concentrate on contolling your wrist. Thats where the first step to safety is. Secondly, Take the msf. I learned on an old crap bike doin what your doin. I Never left my subdivision for like 6 mo. Once you feel comfortable taking off and getting up to speed and feel good and comfortable taking turns. Then you can try short hops on main roads. And make sure your adrenaline isnt clouding your head. Keep it calm cool and kickin ***.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:32 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 PM

Hey all well I finally got 30 mins to take my first ride. I worked on clutch engagement, and rear brakes. I did finally get into 2nd gear. Riding is relaxing, thanks for all the tips. My gear will be bought tomarrow. This will be more of a hobby instead of a everday rider, but i can tell it will be fun. Finally heard my fan cut on at about 220 degrees.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 AM

HEY...... WELCOME!!!