New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Need help on a first bike.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on a first bike.

I know the answers here might be a little biased but I need some help. I'm in the market for my first bike. I've always loved the look and feel of the 2008+ Ninja 250r. However, it's not fuel injected and that is really making me look at other options. Should I go with the new 2011 CBR250R? Or should I go with the more Versatile, slightly faster, more top speed, less vibration Ninja 250r?

Basically, to all those with Carbeurated bikes out there. Is it really THAT big of a pain in the ***? Or would I be better off getting a FI bike that I can just start and be on my way? Thank you very much for the replies. I really appreciate any help I can get.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 AM

If you buy the bike new, or from someone who has taken care of it, the carbs will not be an issue. You will just have to make sure to properly winterize the bike if you plan on letting it sit for long periods in the winter, or start it up and let it run for a little while every now and then. Carbs usually get gunked up from having old fuel sit in them for too long.

I have not ridden the new cbr, but I was able to take my friends 09 ninja 250 out a few times (he bought it new). Definitely a fun bike, very light and flickable in the turns. Even after riding 600cc bikes for a few years I could see myself enjoying the 250.

I'd say if you are looking to keep this bike for a few years, the cbr should be more hassle free. If you are looking for a starter bike to use for a while then move on to a bigger bike, I would go used ninja 250.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Yeah what Mike said.

Damn mike - that is one sexy bike in your profile by the way.

If you're debating between the CBR and the Ninja 250 as a starter bike to learn on, i'd say get whichever you find a better deal on. Most likely after a riding season you'll want something larger.

Either of those 250's should retain their resale value

Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

test ride both bikes if possible and see which one you like better.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Clefan. For a first bike, the 250 is a wise choice. You'll gain experience, learn technique & safety. Check into the MSF Course if you haven't already.

The newest Kawi 250s are very nice. As previously said, the carbs won't be an issue if maintained properly. And Honda...well, what needs to be said?...its a Honda! ;-) Don't think you can go wrong w/ either choice.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 PM

honestly i dont think it a wise idea to buy something brand new as a first bike. i'd say buy something a little older (and cheaper) with the knowledge that you're going to make mistakes on it. Take it and use it as a tool for learning the technique, the mechanics, the maintenance and spend the money you save on the MSF course and other proper gear. Then when you feel good and ready you can upgrade to a new larger bike without the fears that go hand in hand with inexperience.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned on a Hyosung 250r, back before they were injected. Carbs only become a pain when the bike sits for over a month without proper prep, cold starts in the winter, and when you over rev them going down hill in 5th gear seeing how fast it'll go and blow out random bits in your drivetrain. Otherwise, it's a great starting platform. Don't worry about those extra few mph or bit of acceleration, though.. if you ever get to that point where you're really that comfy with the bike and feel that bit of a difference it's time to upgrade anyways.

Between the bikes you listed, I'd find a used Kawi 250 on craigslist 'cause those things seem to never go down in resale value.