New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

NC lane splitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC lane splitting

Does any know if cops in Raleigh, NC (or NC in general) will bust you for lane splitting? I checked the code on the AMA website but there is no mention of it one way or the other. thx

Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Default RE: NC lane splitting

I am not sure on the legality, however, after being in the traffic in my car alot, I would not even want to try to split lanes on my bike. Too many people who are nuts.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:23 PM

Since there is no mention of it on the AMA site I would bet they would give you a reckless ticket. Even if one cop told you it was ok another could give you a ticket.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 PM

The only state that I know of that it is legal is Cali, and there you cannot travel over 20 mph if you are lane splitting. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Now there are a few places that are "tolerant" of lane splitting, DC area, North Jersey/NY area.

I wouldn't think of it in my area, some people (cagers) wouldn't expect a motorcyclist to be splittin' lanes. Therefore you have a higher probability of someone cuttin' you off on purpose or not. ...And if I didn't have my full gear on, yes I ride without my leather jacket sometimes, always wear my helmet though.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:17 AM

I don't want to eat pavement either so I wouldn't try it while under way. What I meant was coming up to a stop light, when all the cars are stopped. You know, get up front so you don't have to wait... I'm so impatient. Thanks for the replies

Old 08-26-2006, 03:48 AM

Yes. NC's finest WILL give you a careless and reckless pink slip.[:@]

Old 08-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Mad

ORIGINAL: Frerice

The only state that I know of that it is legal is Cali, and there you cannot travel over 20 mph if you are lane splitting. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct but I really don't know what the max speed limit is. I do not split lanes at anything above 15 because I am not comfortable and besides cali has a "safe and prudent" law for lane splitting. Also some problems you can encounter in cali is if you lane split and the cars swerves. You as a motorcyclist are liable and will be ticketed for causing an unsafe condition. I think they call it forcing them out of the lane or something like that.

Another problem is as long as they don't cross the line they can "Squeeze" you. You just have to be extremely careful. LEO's also are pretty open to use their judgement on what is safe or not.

Luckily most drivers are cool and share their lane. There are always the few that don't....

Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Check here!!! http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Old 09-03-2006, 04:34 AM

i was told by MSF instructor that you are allow to share lanes only if the driver allows you...up to 40MPH...in cali...
that means the driver still has the right away...
i was furious to split lanes in freeways at first but got used to it now...
cool thing is here most drivers are aware of the riders...so they just move away for you...

Old 09-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll split lanes here (NYC) but only when traffic is at a standstill or close to it. When cars are bumper to bumper, they don't have room to swerve out of their lanes. Once things start moving enough that cars have maneuvering room, I fall back in line.

Quick Reply: NC lane splitting