New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

MSF newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF newbie question

Hey everyone, just to let you know, I have never ridden a motorcycle before. I just got my permit and just called to sign up for the MSF course. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there, or if they know, if it will be hard for me or not. Will I have trouble with anything or will it get easier once I learn. Thanks for your time.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Default RE: MSF newbie question

when i took the msf class in 2001 in tx. there were 12 of us, 4 or 5 who had never ridden at all. evrybody passed, nobody dropped a bike. some of the new riders did better in some parts of the riding tests than those of us with experience likely because they learned propper technique at the beginning. the course was lots of fun and really educational for all. enjoy it.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:38 AM

I took the class and it was great. I think everyone should do it. Welcome.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:19 AM

I took the class, but started riding prior to it. In NJ you only need your permit to buy a 250 - my first bike. I had never drove a motorcycle before, but have been a passenger to them and drove mopeds, etc. I got on the bike and it took me about 1/2 hour of doing circles in a lot next to the dealership and I made it home. Of course, I went out practicing that night, but it just came to me. I'm one of those people who learn things quick and I learned myself, took the course, and have been just about fine since. The course is helpful b/c they teach you things you wouldn't normally know just going to take the test. Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Retired Mod

i took the class 3 years after acquiring my license and my first bike. and i was honestly shocked at how much i learned. most in the class were new to riding and a few had never even sat on a bike before. no one had problems and the instructors were great. you learn alot of slow speed manuvering (which is way harder than turning while moving fast), panic braking, and emergency swerving manuvers. priceless lessons and some insurance companies will give you a break on insurance after completion.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:23 PM

Well by everyone's replies it seems like it shouldn't be too hard for me, I can pick up on things pretty fast, unless its math. Thanks for the help, just waiting for those MSF people to call me back.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:15 PM

The MSF course or one like it, is something everyone should do. When I took the course I was amazed at some of the things I learned, and I have been on 2 wheels almost my whole life(29 out of 34 years).

Old 10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the class in 2001 on Kaden AFB in Okinawa. Over there, you cannot touch a bike unless you've taken the course. I had never ridden a bike prior to the course (and knew what I was doing). The "Figure 8" in the box without going out of the lines and without putting a foot down was the hardest thing. I assure you that the course will get you prepared for learning. What I mean by that is this...the course gives you a license to learn not to ride. It takes much road time to get experience. Be well!

Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Hello & welcome to the boards. When I took my class on 2003, there were 12 of us. 6 men and 6 women. 7 people in the class had never been on a bike and 4 of the women had never even driven a car with a manual transmission. Everyone ended up passing with flying colors. Just make sure to practice what you learn often on your bike. Also just because you pass and get your license doesn't mean you are qualified to ride on the street. As our instructor told us when we passed. We now had our license to practice.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 PM

Well I registered for my MSF course. It starts on 12/8.....seems so far away. At least I got that one, the next closest was 1/12 so now I have to do is just wait. Anyone think I should go out and buy a bike soon to at least get familiar with it, or should I just wait around? thanks.

Quick Reply: MSF newbie question