New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

looking at getting first bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at getting first bike

Hi all, looking at getting my first bike before my 16th birthday, i found this bike and could use some opionon! thanks heres the ad
1987 Honda CBR 600
All regular maintenance done
Owned for 13 years
Both Brand New Tires
Custom paint done 8 years ago
New fork seals
New chain and sprockets
Stripped rims to aluminum, and painted
Painted inserts silver
Custom seat
30,000 mile

Attached Thumbnails looking at getting first bike-00r0r_av7kj0bxs9k_600x450.jpg   looking at getting first bike-00v0v_1tiwvkkvyf5_600x450.jpg   looking at getting first bike-01010_9tmk8zc5ceh_600x450.jpg   looking at getting first bike-01313_ltsxw6zderx_600x450.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you like it?

Looks pretty nice from here.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Do you like it?

Looks pretty nice from here.
i like it and like the price, just the miles conserns me, also people are saying im too young for a 600, should start on a 250 blah blah blah

Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a hot looking hurricane. I learned on dirtbikes, but that was so many years ago I don't even count it. Basically I started on the '88 600 and it was great. Lots (too much?) of power, but it didn't have that "ohhhsh-t" bipolar disorder that modern 600's have when you get in the higher rev's. About your age... year at 16 I would have cooked myself on a sportbike, no doubt. I loved (and still do, just more responsibly) speed and that bike there has quite a bit of it. Many people will say its too much, but it depends on the person. If you are responsible, then yea, go for it. If you are getting it to go fast and get some skirt, then I'd advice against it.

If you do decide to go for it, here's a couple things to watch for:
- Brake lines, bulging or cracking... basically the old rubber doesn't last and will need replaces
- Left side of the frame at the rear of the engine cradle, basically directly being the petcock. Check it for a crack. Really common for the model. It's fixable with a good welder, but something to watch out for.
- CCT can make a racket on these if it is the oem style. You can replace it with another honda or a manual one.
- The right and left clipon are different colors - been replaced. Could have been something as simple as an electrical problem someone didn't feel like fixing, or could have snapped it off in a crash. I'd ask to remove the plastics and see underneath. Also, the forks/frame could be bent if the crash was hard enough.
- Enjoy that paintjob while it lasts. More than likely you will drop the bike... Honestly, I'd consider stripping the plastics off for your first few hundred miles, until you learn low speed handling (parking lot stuff).

There is a ton of info on that bike if you decide to go that route. Welcome to the gongshow

Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
That's a hot looking hurricane. I learned on dirtbikes, but that was so many years ago I don't even count it. Basically I started on the '88 600 and it was great. Lots (too much?) of power, but it didn't have that "ohhhsh-t" bipolar disorder that modern 600's have when you get in the higher rev's. About your age... year at 16 I would have cooked myself on a sportbike, no doubt. I loved (and still do, just more responsibly) speed and that bike there has quite a bit of it. Many people will say its too much, but it depends on the person. If you are responsible, then yea, go for it. If you are getting it to go fast and get some skirt, then I'd advice against it.

If you do decide to go for it, here's a couple things to watch for:
- Brake lines, bulging or cracking... basically the old rubber doesn't last and will need replaces
- Left side of the frame at the rear of the engine cradle, basically directly being the petcock. Check it for a crack. Really common for the model. It's fixable with a good welder, but something to watch out for.
- CCT can make a racket on these if it is the oem style. You can replace it with another honda or a manual one.
- The right and left clipon are different colors - been replaced. Could have been something as simple as an electrical problem someone didn't feel like fixing, or could have snapped it off in a crash. I'd ask to remove the plastics and see underneath. Also, the forks/frame could be bent if the crash was hard enough.
- Enjoy that paintjob while it lasts. More than likely you will drop the bike... Honestly, I'd consider stripping the plastics off for your first few hundred miles, until you learn low speed handling (parking lot stuff).

There is a ton of info on that bike if you decide to go that route. Welcome to the gongshow
thanks for that ifno! itll come in handy when i go to look at it, ive been riding dirtbikes since 2010 i belive it was, get a yz80 (2 stroke) leanred how to ride on that, and now have a 125 (2 stroke) I Have the clutch and shifting down pretty well so the bike should be the same, and whatever bike i get the plastics will come off because almost everyone drops their first bike and as you said i dont wanna mess up the paint job

Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Nothing wrong with starting on a 600. As said already, it's an older 600. A brand new 600rr is a different story! Irresponsibility on two wheels is dangerous, no matter what displacement you're riding. Take an MSF class and keep a good connection between your right wrist and brain.

I'd leave the plastic on. Maybe it will remind you to be extra careful. If you mess them up, you mess them up. It'll be a constant reminder of a mistake you made.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Nothing wrong with starting on a 600. As said already, it's an older 600. A brand new 600rr is a different story! Irresponsibility on two wheels is dangerous, no matter what displacement you're riding. Take an MSF class and keep a good connection between your right wrist and brain.

I'd leave the plastic on. Maybe it will remind you to be extra careful. If you mess them up, you mess them up. It'll be a constant reminder of a mistake you made.
good advise. i have found a few other bikes but this one in particular has also caught my eye.
1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600, 38,xxx miles, not the original motor. Runs good. Great beginners bike. New battery, carbs just cleaned. Tires should pass inspection but will need to be replaced soon. Bike is painted like a green/grey color changing paint, Looks different in the sun than it does in the shade. It was knocked on the left side since paint, with some minor cracks and scuffs. I've owned this bike for 6 years and have since upgraded, and need out of the storage were its located.

Attached Thumbnails looking at getting first bike-00c0c_9t0frdgviyy_600x450.jpg   looking at getting first bike-00d0d_7q682olmh8s_600x450.jpg   looking at getting first bike-00z0z_lyn4zx9kssy_600x450.jpg   looking at getting first bike-01515_hiaiil2oqxl_600x450.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM

The Honda looks to be in better shape.

30k is nothing. Its barely broken in for a Honda.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 PM

The Honda looks to be in better shape.

30k is nothing. Its barely broken in for a Honda.
the kawasaki guy wants 1500, he got it and replaced the motor becuase the orgional motor had a rod nock (i emailed him and ask) the kawi was 500 less than the honda also.. im leaning towards honda but not sure what will happen..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF. Starting on an older 600 is a great idea if your end-goal is to be on a more modern I4 sport bike. You'll learn how it feels without it being quite as aggressive in steering and power delivery.

The things that stand out to me:

New tires
New chain and sprockets
New fork seals

Those are the bigger ticket/labor intensive items that are usually required to be additionally replaced when buying an older bike. (maybe $250 in tires and $120 in chain and sprockets isn't that outright expensive, but when you're talking about a bike that you have under $2000 in - it starts to be a significant amount).

The other things, general maintenance items that need to be done, when buying an older bike are all things you should learn to do yourself anyways. I'm in the camp that says new riders should learn how to properly clean carbs, change brake pads, change oil, etc. And an older bike lets new riders learn how to do those things - all while saving you money and having a bike that is mellow compared to today's I4's.

Take someone with you that knows what to look for and make sure the check the "baby 'cane" section here to learn about some common problems that happened with that bike. Once you get it, make sure to read up on some tech stuff and go over the bike with a fine comb.

I once knew a guy who had been riding a bike that - let's just say, he should have been riding (safety wise) - because he started riding, didn't know how a properly maintained bike was supposed to feel like. He thought the problems he was experiencing were normal, just part of riding. So it may be advantageous to also have a rider ride your bike to test it for you.

Last edited by Conrice; 05-22-2014 at 08:41 PM.