New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

LoL, First ride story

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LoL, First ride story

Dude..all great advice above. I'll just share with you that I rode all last year on a Katana 750 (after not having been on a bike since college - about 13 years) and wanted to move up to something faster. I test rode a 929 and the power jump from a Katana made me too nervous. I wanted to be sure I was ready before moving to a liter bike (I have two young children..probably part of the motivation). So I decided to go with an F4i for now and it has all of the power and speed that I need. I'll probably move up to a 929 eventually. Enjoy it and respect the power of that bike. I think someone in this forum wrote to me when I was debating the 929 vs. F4i - "a 600 will try to kill you, a liter bike will kill you." Have fun and be safe!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:12 PM
L8X

hmm everything that needs to be said has, dang...

Old 04-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you're dying to get in the class....man you are dying to get a sneek peak at Jesus. I don't know you from Adam but I sure as hell know safety. Take your keys and give them to someone who wants to see you around for a little while longer. Take the MSF course!!!!!!! That's about the only part you got right in your initial entry...dying. Don't do it! We all have love for our fellow CBR riders...we'd love to hear good (common sense) stories. Take the course! MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF...I THINK YOU GOT IT!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 PM

Welcome to da site bro! I almost got a 954 fer my first bike and everyone said it would be too much fer me. I rode it ONCE and about craped my pants! 929 pretty heafty bike too! But I'm gonna be like da rest of da folks and say take da course and take yer time! Keep da rubba side down bro!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:07 PM

I bought my 929rr 2 weeks ago and it is my first bike. I never took the safety course, but I do have my permit. All my friends are experiences riders, so they took me out the first few days. I had ridden 4 wheelers and dirt bikes many many times before, so the shifting was simple. THey had me start in a huge parking lot for a few hours with cones and obstacles, and within 3 hours, I was on the road leaning into corners. I am very comfortable on my bike now and I just put over 700 miles on my bike last weekend. RESPECT the power and tendencies of the bike and never run the rpm's up in the first two gears right away and you should be fine. I am scared of what my bike can do, but I'm not scared of my bike altogether because I am ultimately twisting my own right wrist. It's a nice bike, but just think about what the new 600 race bikes are doing now and how many beginners are going to get a 600 thinking it's more forgiving. I've put over 1000 miles on my bike in a week and a half and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:15 PM

Well, as I have staed before, I tried getting into the MSF class by waiting two hours in line, I couldn't get in. All the appointments showed up except 1, and the person that filled it was the person on the waiting list. Its so rediculous, i'll try again this week and see if i can get in. I'll have a tent and sleeping bag ride outside the door waiting for the riding coach to show up. In the mean time... all good advices, I thank you. But seriously, in the meantime, I'm going to follow the manuals instructions and practice with cones on the swerving. It's hard enough as is that i can't reach the ground. Just bought corbin seat and lowering links are on the way.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Dude, you are in Springfield!!???? I can come over some time and give you some pointers!! I am only 30 to 45 minutes away...........if I follow Illinois posted speed limits.....LOL!!! Shoot me an email sometime and maybe we can get together. I have been riding almost 20 years now so surely I could help you out in some way...??? Anyway, my email is shane_workman@insightbb.com

Later,
Shane

P.S. I am not an MSF instructor or anything but thought maybe I could help.[8D]

Old 04-22-2005, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: bubbeewuv0630
Well, as I have staed before, I tried getting into the MSF class by waiting two hours in line, I couldn't get in.

It's hard enough as is that i can't reach the ground. Just bought corbin seat and lowering links are on the way.

Ok, as said, stop trying to ride your bike before taking the MSF class. Look into other options. I know there are more then one place in your area that offers the MSF. Go to the MSF website and see where their certified classes in your area are. I know here in FL, there are motorcycle dealerships that offer the class, independent classes, local colleges offer the MSF class. Look around, you will be suprised when you see more then one place offering it.

DO NOT LOWER your bike. You can't handle your bike already. When you lower the bike you are changing and making the handling of your bike worse. Bikes are designed to perform and handle at a certain ride height. When you change that, you change how your bike handles. Honda spends alot of money testing and designing the bikes to perform at the specific height. Look into shaving the seat down, wear some boots with more of a bottom on them. The corbin seat should help some.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard enough as is that i can't reach the ground. Just bought corbin seat and lowering links are on the way.
This thread is taking on the sickly smell of a "WIND UP" or "**** TAKE". Carry a donor card and be of some us to the rest of us....

Old 04-23-2005, 03:24 AM

Hey bubbee,

From my minimal 3 and 1/2 year of riding, I know that taking the MSF class saved my butt several times.
I started out with the Ninja 500 (a good beginner bike) and worked my way up, I went from street to freeway to twisties.
If you really want to enjoy riding, you should get back in line for the MSF class.

Good luck and ride smart,

-TJ

Quick Reply: LoL, First ride story