New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just purchased my first bike last Monday

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased my first bike last Monday

Hey everybody! I picked up a 2006 CBR F4I last Monday, and am real excited to join this board as well. I am anxious to tear down my bike and clean the sh*t out of it, as well as learn as much as I can from the more experienced.

A little about my bike, 2006 yellow/black F4I, 3700 miles, bone stock and pretty dirty. The person before me stored it outside under a cover, but lived off a dirt road. Needless to say, it needs some TLC. Mechanically, it is flawless (to my knowledge). Cosmetically, previous owner let it tip over on his gravell driveway. It broke the turn signal and did very minor fairing damage.

A little about me, first bike, limited motorcycle experience, but plenty of motorsports experience. I understand the very limited relevance, and am signed up for the Motorcycle Safety Course at Harley D, ran by the state Po. I plan on taking my time in getting comfertable. I dont want to mess up a good thing. Im 26, 225lbs, 6 ft., if that matters.

A few early questions, someone mentioned a list of common problems to look for. I went back nine pages in the F4I forum, and coulnd find it. Can someone link me?

This thing has low miles, how much damage could one person do in that little time? The dude didnt seem shady or anything, but you never know. The tire is somewhat flattened on top, like someone may have smoked it a couple of times.

I really appreciate/anticipate any comments, feedback, advice, whatever. I am located in Northern VA, if anyone was wondering. Thanks, I'm real pumped!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Dustin, great intro' man , bike sounds great with low miles even if ya have a
bit of clean up on it. Sounds like a new rear tire is in order. Some good gear and you'll
be all set. Good luck with it.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Great job on signing up for the MSF class! you're one step ahead of the game already.

Just take your time and wear your gear! A good jacket is a lot cheaper than road rash.

Also get some pictures up of your new toy if you can!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Great job on signing up for the MSF class! you're one step ahead of the game already.

Just take your time and wear your gear! A good jacket is a lot cheaper than road rash.

Also get some pictures up of your new toy if you can!
Welcome to the board, great choice of bikes! We need a pic!

Nate likes the pics! Actually pics are a must for forums in general, makes everything a lot more interesting. Plus there's always the saying "No pics otherwise it didn't happen!"

Also Nate, nice avatar!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Default pictur

The previous owner took a picture. I have a camera phone picture, but cant upload it now.

Last edited by regener8ed; 12-29-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:45 PM

Nate, are you knowledgable of any common problems with my model/year?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by GhostriderCBR
Welcome to the board, great choice of bikes! We need a pic!

Nate likes the pics! Actually pics are a must for forums in general, makes everything a lot more interesting. Plus there's always the saying "No pics otherwise it didn't happen!"

Also Nate, nice avatar!
We do like pics! And I will pass along your approval to my wench.

Originally Posted by HondaDustin
Nate, are you knowledgable of any common problems with my model/year?
Dustin - check the basic fluid levels. Listen for a rattle (sounds like a can of nails) that would mean the CCT needs replacement.

Other than that I can't really direct you too much - they keep me around here for the entertainment value and picture posting ability. Not my knowledge

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Thanks Nate. I also dig that piece or pie you got posted there..

I have read about the cam chain tensioner, I will pay close attention for that.

I am thinking about stripping all the fairings off this weekend, but it is still reallly freakin cold. I will have to heat my garage if I do it. We'll see, I'll keep anyone posted who is interested.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site, Dustin! Bike looks good and I wouldn't be too worried about issues with the bike. I'd take a look at the service manual, tho, and make sure all the regular maintenance stuff is covered. If you need a manual to download, I have one hosted HERE.

Good move on signing up for the msf, btw. It will likely teach you some valuable info. I like reading books in the off-season as well. "sport riding techniques" by Nick Ienatsch is a good one. He also wrote "the pace" which can be found free on the internets.
Enjoy the site and ride safe, dude!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Oh and change all the fluids when you get a new bike. Never truly know when the previous owner changed them.

Quick Reply: Just purchased my first bike last Monday