New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Just bought my first bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halzinky
Not a fun phone call to have... Hows your dad doing now?
Hey man he's doing a lot better! The wounds are healing up good, lucky nothing broken, minor concussion and bruises, knee & hip were just banged up a little. Road rash was prolly the worst of it. His bike(Vulcan 900) was totaled out by insurance which kinda worked out for him because he finally got his Harley he's wanted for a while. I believe it's an 06 street glide? Pretty sick looking bike. All in all he's doing good, thanks for asking man!!

And sporrtbikenmike, idk what the deal was but it just seemed like everyone out there thought their stuff was worth a million bucks, idk maybe it's just me, I'm just stubborn lol, I refuse to pay more than something is worth, regardless of how rare it is or bad I want it haha, I ended up paying 3000 for mine with 26,000m. They guy wanted 3800 for it. And with the e crept ion of dent in the tank it's in damn near perfect condition and runs like a dream!! also thanks for the info on dampers, I've been looking at some on amazon, prolly be a minute before I get one though

Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyfresh
And sporrtbikenmike, idk what the deal was but it just seemed like everyone out there thought their stuff was worth a million bucks, idk maybe it's just me, I'm just stubborn lol, I refuse to pay more than something is worth, regardless of how rare it is or bad I want it haha,
Oh I completely understand that. I went through the same thing with a few 954s. I got mine for $4500 with 5200 miles on it. Had to clean out the tank and replace the plugs but it runs awesomely now. I saw a few that had over 15K miles on them going for over $5K. Eff that.

I ended up paying 3000 for mine with 26,000m. They guy wanted 3800 for it. And with the e crept ion of dent in the tank it's in damn near perfect condition and runs like a dream!! also thanks for the info on dampers, I've been looking at some on amazon, prolly be a minute before I get one though
Check your bike over to ensure that it doesn't need anything else now, or in the near future. (i.e. tires, as a set will cost you north of $300, chain/sprockets). The money you have to spend on a damper, could go to other more pressing needs as well.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Talking

Check your bike over to ensure that it doesn't need anything else now, or in the near future. (i.e. tires, as a set will cost you north of $300, chain/sprockets). The money you have to spend on a damper, could go to other more pressing needs as well.[/QUOTE]

Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories at Motorcycle Superstore has great tires for cheap... I bought a Pirelli Angel (Rear) for 160 free shipping and they overnight the tire when i chose standard shipping... Picked up a handful of things off the sight and they are great to work with.

I work for a company that manages Ducati's website and online orders so ill check around and make a couple calls see if I can't get a damper for a bit less...

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

Very nice pics... Yellow/Black combo don't look good at first but they grow on you the more you look at them..

Last edited by 74demon; 02-20-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=Halzinky;I work for a company that manages Ducati's website and online orders so ill check around and make a couple calls see if I can't get a damper for a bit less...[/QUOTE]

I would def appreciate it if you ended up finding something, always nice when you can keep a little bit of change in the pocket haha, and ill check out that website, I know im gonna be needing to get a new back tire sometime in the near future. Tire isn't in bad shape, just starting to flatin out in the center a little, looks like the dude I bought it from drove 1,000 miles in a strait line lol.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike
Check your bike over to ensure that it doesn't need anything else now, or in the near future. (i.e. tires, as a set will cost you north of $300, chain/sprockets). The money you have to spend on a damper, could go to other more pressing needs as well.
Ya I've been looking it over, I know the back tire is gonna need it sometime, and I'm gonna put new plugs in as well just cause the guy I bought it from said he hadn't done and he put ab 6k on it so I'm gonna do it soon, sprockets and chain all looked pretty good, and supped sly the oil is only a couple hundred miles old but I'm gonna do it anyway. And I checked out the brakes and they're prolly a little ways from being due

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Mikey if your looking to order a tire your best bet not ordering from Ducati... There prices are extremely high as it is... Motorcycle-superstore.com is best place Ive found em online... They run sales all the time for 30-50% off and you can get an additional 10% off promotion code from here... They ship QUICK aswell

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyfresh
Ya I've been looking it over, I know the back tire is gonna need it sometime, and I'm gonna put new plugs in as well just cause the guy I bought it from said he hadn't done and he put ab 6k on it so I'm gonna do it soon, sprockets and chain all looked pretty good, and supped sly the oil is only a couple hundred miles old but I'm gonna do it anyway. And I checked out the brakes and they're prolly a little ways from being due
Pretty sure the 929s require irridium plugs like the 954 does. They are anywhere from $12 to $20 a piece.
Not sure what oil you will use but I use Amsoil and even at wholesale it's $10 a quart.

And just for ****s and giggles, you might also want to function-check your fuel pressure regulator. They are known to have a finite life span on the CBRs. A replacement is about $70 if it's bad, but it's a relatively easy swap, even with just the most basic mechanical knowledge.

Believe me, I want to do all sorts of **** to my 954 but I have to make sure I keep the routine stuff in mind and replace/repair any of those items first.

I would also recommend one of these. I got mine on Amazon for like $30 or something.

What about gear? What kind of riding gear do you have? I would highly recommend at the bare-assed least; helmet, gloves, boots and jacket (a whole suit as soon as you can afford it).
Quality gear is not cheap either.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike
Pretty sure the 929s require irridium plugs like the 954 does. They are anywhere from $12 to $20 a piece.
Not sure what oil you will use but I use Amsoil and even at wholesale it's $10 a quart.

And just for ****s and giggles, you might also want to function-check your fuel pressure regulator. They are known to have a finite life span on the CBRs. A replacement is about $70 if it's bad, but it's a relatively easy swap, even with just the most basic mechanical knowledge.

Believe me, I want to do all sorts of **** to my 954 but I have to make sure I keep the routine stuff in mind and replace/repair any of those items first.

I would also recommend one of these. I got mine on Amazon for like $30 or something.

What about gear? What kind of riding gear do you have? I would highly recommend at the bare-assed least; helmet, gloves, boots and jacket (a whole suit as soon as you can afford it).
Quality gear is not cheap either.
Hey thanks for the heads up on the spark plugs and fule pressure regulator, ill be sure to look into that, I had planed to use iridium plugs just cause I had always heard good they were good plugs and they did well some cars I had them in, as far as gear, I've got an icon contra jacket with all the armor in it, and a set of icon gloves with the reinforced knuckles, I also have a scorpion exo 750 helmet and love it so far, I plan on buying a good set of boots eventually but for now I'm using a set of com at boots I've got, and I'm also looking into pants as well. I'm gonna look into a manual as well, the one you posted there is a Hanes correct? I've always used those for my cars/trucks so glad to know there's one for the 929s as well. Thanks for th info man!!