New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro

hey glad to be here everybody - m/34 wife & 3 kids, motoX biker, gave it up a few years ago, but I've had a fever. A lot of my friends have sport bikes, and I've ridden them on short distances. Not the speed demon I used to be, but wow, I have wanted a bullet bike for a long time, especially when that f4i came out. always been a honda fan, and now after research, I'm wanting the comfortable cbr.
Now that I've matured (a little) and it seems very affordable, I'm wanting to jump in. (affordable, as in $3k - $4k)
I am a forum chaser, read a lot, learned a bit. I've learned that these cbr's are quite bullet proof... maintenance always prolongs the inevitable, however I've heard they really take a beating... I'm looking for one now, and I'm not looking for one that's been handed around like a poor little groupy. it seems that there are plenty of 02 & 03 that are responsibly owned.
K, any wanna gimme some advice & encouragement of what to watch out for in purchasing a used f4i?
thanks

Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

As w/ any motorcycle you consider buying, you need to know what you're looking at. A thorough visual inspection w/ side fairings off, is a must. Looks can be deceiving tho. A polished up bike can hide a lot of sins. Naturally, you're looking for any obvious signs of neglect & mistreatment. There are lots of 'used motorcycle buyer guides' via google. Be sure to check them out for tips.

A good mechanical inspection is obviously a must. Maintenance records are a real plus if the seller has them. IF you have any question in your mind at all as to the mechanical condition, ask the seller to meet you at the Honda dealership for a 'pre-purchase inspection'. You'll pay for it (about $85-100). It benefits you both tho, in that you'll know what the bike needs & doesn't need. Then you make a more informed purchasing decision.

As to specifically the F4i, the most common 'issue' is a clicking CCT. However, the CCT is easily replaced when necessary w/ another factory auto CCT or aftermarket manual unit. Otherwise, the F4i really is a tank. As long as its properly maintained at regular maintenance intervals, it will run for m-a-n-y thousands of miles.

The '01-03 is the split-seat version. '04-06 is the banana seat version. If you prefer the split-seat version but want a later model, you can always convert the banana seat tail to split-seat tail (see my tutorial).

Take your time looking for your F4i. There are lots out there. Values tend to stay up for CBRs. Gauge prices off of Official Kelley Blue Book New & Used Car Values - Kelley Blue Book. Of course, availability & location will affect selling price but kbb is a good rule of thumb in general.

Good luck shopping! We hope to see you back w/a new-to-you CBR asap! ;-)

Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck finding a bike. Be patient, dont settle for anything but what you want, and listen to gotcbr. Hes full of good advice there....

Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! Glad you join & share your experience with us. Your affordable price range is same as mine when I start looking...I wanted something never down, as OEM as possible so i can apply some modification myself...and the adortable price range is for keep...buying a bike is very easy...easy to make mistake judgement.. selling a bike is even tougher. So buy to keep..

First you have to decide if you want carburetor or EFI...the F4i is fuel injection Vs older models is carb.

Of course the older the model, the more flexibility you have with your dollars..newer model bike at this price range is mostly been down, repair, mod out...

I went with an older model with 18k miles....never down. $3500....learn all the basic maintenance DIY...6 years later, I still have a blast every time coming home from a ride! I'm PUMP!!

Good luck hunting...My advise is find something as factory OEM as possible. Honda scheme are sweet! If bike never down even better! Don't forget eBay too....as least you know eBay seller must register, Paypal confirm....stay away from CL as possible...lots if scams....

Dont hurry, a good bike comes up, rather pay a few hundred more to buy the bike from firm seller and ride it!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Welcome aboard the CBRF ... remember yu bike pics ! :-)
Ya, this is what I'm looking at, but only because it's so clean - the one thing I dislike about the majority of F4i's I see around are the black decals (or what I hope are only decals) on the paint/fairings.
my question is, can the black be removed from these bikes?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

ah, I'm trying to post up a photo but it's not letting me... I'm sure I'm doing it wrong. it's a jpeg on my computer. weird.
well, I just posted it on my user profile pic.
thanks everybody - good advice

Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

if you want it to show up next to your name, it called an avatar, go to the edit avatar tab in your user control panel.

to load pics....read this
https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-membe...-posts-116758/

Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
if you want it to show up next to your name, it called an avatar, go to the edit avatar tab in your user control panel.
ya, I'll have to load it up on photobucket or somethin - I just tried to set my avatar and it does not give me the option to... an option is selected that does not allow me to change my avatar... weird.
this is what I'm looking at.
Your Current Avatar No Avatar Specified Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.
Do not use an avatar
Note: if you have a custom avatar selecting this option will delete it.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Just to clarify, it's not letting me uncheck that option. It looks like it would but it won't. Too bad ... possibly it's cuz I'm a noob

Quick Reply: Intro