New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

I need some help getting my license!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help getting my license!

I need some help. I just bought a bike last week, (hurricane 600). I just turned 17, and in CT if your under 18, you need a parents signature and permission to get a motorcycle license. It has been my dream since I was about 12 to get a street bike. My parents are very against me getting my license, since my mothers good friend died in a motorcycle crash, and my fathers friend is paralyzed for life from a motorcycle accident. They say that i will kill myself, and how dangerous motorcycles are. I am fully aware of how dangerous they are, and that alot of the time its not even the riders fault, but the fault of another driver. I have been riding dirtbikes for the past 5 years, and my parents are fine with that, but when it comes to the streets, its a whole different story.
Anyways, I wanted to ask for some some help. Does anyone know of any websites that have statistics on them about comparing motorcycle accidents to car accidents, and include information about DUIs, ect. I want to persuade them, and show them that alot of the crashes on motorcycles involve drinking, (if thats true) and that alot of people die in car crashes too. I want to show them the comparisons, hopefully they will help me out. If anyone has gone through the same situation as me let me know what you did to convince your parents to sign.
I appreciate all of the help.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: I need some help getting my license!

Your parents have made up their minds and it will be difficult to persuade them over to your side. Statistics may be in your favor but I doubt if your parents would be naive enough to consider them. I’ll assume without any facts that you would find statistics showing thousands and thousands of crashes and fatalities in automobiles and maybe a few thousand involving motorcycles. But when you consider that we have millions of cars on the roads compared to the thousands of bikes… its comparing apples to oranges.

Here’s a thought. Try to approach them with a very mature and open mind. I know it may not seem like it, but they do have your best interest in mind. This may depend on how you have acted in the past and if they can trust you. One of the best things a new rider can do is to attend a motorcycle safety course like the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) ones. Here's the link to see if you can find one in your area. Do you have any experienced older riders that your parents know and trust? Reason with your parents that if they help you obtain your permit, you will only ride with another experienced rider and attend the MSF course that will teach you the basics of motorcycle safety. In most states, the DMV or BMV will accept the MSF course as the riding portion of your license. That means once you have your permit and pass the MSF course, all you have to do is take the MSF certificate back to the DMV/BMV and they will issue you your license.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Your parents have made up their minds and it will be difficult to persuade them over to your side. Statistics may be in your favor but I doubt if your parents would be naive enough to consider them. I’ll assume without any facts that you would find statistics showing thousands and thousands of crashes and fatalities in automobiles and maybe a few thousand involving motorcycles. But when you consider that we have millions of cars on the roads compared to the thousands of bikes… its comparing apples to oranges.

Here’s a thought. Try to approach them with a very mature and open mind. I know it may not seem like it, but they do have your best interest in mind. This may depend on how you have acted in the past and if they can trust you. One of the best things a new rider can do is to attend a motorcycle safety course like the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) ones. Here's the link to see if you can find one in your area. Do you have any experienced older riders that your parents know and trust? Reason with your parents that if they help you obtain your permit, you will only ride with another experienced rider and attend the MSF course that will teach you the basics of motorcycle safety. In most states, the DMV or BMV will accept the MSF course as the riding portion of your license. That means once you have your permit and pass the MSF course, all you have to do is take the MSF certificate back to the DMV/BMV and they will issue you your license.

Agreed. take the MSF course to them. Probably your best shot here.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM

well, good luck changing their minds, but chances are if their minds are made up you may just have to wait the extra year. Having things like that happen to those who are close to you are very tramatic and that will most likely out weigh any statistic you can come accross.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Welcome and good luck.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Well I think doncollins couldn't have put it any better. There are no facts, figures or evidence that is going to convince your parents that they should sign for your license. Their excuse lies in the past with injured and/or deceased friends. I also think it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult for a 17 year old to be mature enough and build a good enough case to sway them. I don't mean to offend you by that, it's just inevitable.

My suggestion is this (if you want to prove your maturity and responsibility): Tell your parents that you would like to take the class, with their permission, and you will pay for it out of your own pocket. Reassure them that just because you are taking the class, it doesn't mean you're gonna head right out and get your license - you just want learn a little more about street riding and get some practice.

One final idea - do either of your parents ride? I am assuming they don't. See if you can convince them to take the class with you. That way they can witness your skills/behavior first-hand and get some experience themselves.

Good luck buddy. No matter what comes of this - just be sure that you're careful if/when you finally get that license. You want to be able to tell your parents "I told you so" each and every time you get back home after a SAFE ride.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 PM

Thanks alot for all of your help. I understand, my parents minds are pretty set and it will take alot to persuade them. Stats especially wont help.
jjkukla had a great idea! I researched the safety courses, and explained them to my parents, and that I just want to take them to get experience. They were interested, my moms thinking about taking one with me. They asked me when they start. They still say that theres no way im getting my license under their permission, but they know I wil get it when I turn 18, so why not get the experience now.
I think after I take the courses (i said I would take all 3 and pay for them) they will have much more trust in me and they may just sign for me to get my license.
Genius jj!
thanks again guys

Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 AM

Another piece of info about the course ....

I also understand that some insurance companies view the MSF (motorcycle) as a course the qualifies for a reduction in your car insurance premium. That reduction could help pay for the course.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 AM

rizoss16 - Hey no problem, that's what we're all here for... just trying to help out. But there's no need to call me a "genius", that's just plain ol' embarrassing!

Anyways. Keep us posted kid... let us know how it goes.

Good luck, Joe