New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

I am new and help me what bike to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am new and help me what bike to buy

The whole problem is that a 600 supersport is a LOT less forgiving when you're learning. Sure you can learn on one, but you have to be REALLY REALLY careful, and have some luck on your side.

As mentioned before, all bike are dangerous. What makes the 600 supersports more so is that small mistakes are magnified a LOT more than on other bikes. To the inexperienced rider it's so easy to accidentally grab the throttle (if you hit a bump/pothole/whatever) causing you to go from 5k to 14k almost instantaneously, while you're holding on to dear life (the first time you accelerate past 8k, you WILL freak out), then grabbing on to the insane brakes on these bikes to find both wheels locked, and you flying in the air.

Just the fact that you mentioned the f4i not being as fast as a dirt bike shows lack of experience (or a totally broken bike - less likely).

If you can, start with something smaller (or an sv650). If you're dead set on the cbr600's, I see no reason whatsoever to get the RR. You will never notice the performance difference. The f4i will be just as fast (for you), better ergonomics, cheaper, and just more fun (IMHO).

Either way, good luck, have fun, ride safe, and take the MSF. It's a great class for beginners, and experienced riders alike.

Z.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 AM

Smoke, I can relate. This was my first post:
New Bike Help?!?! - 5/9/2006 4:59:02 PM

ryan3294
Starting Member

Status: online What's up everyone. My name is Ryan. I am 27 y/o from CT and I am happy to be a part of this group. I am currently shopping for my FIRST motorcycle ever. I have read around the various threads and understand that taking it easy, learning your limits, taking the proper training courses, and living to ride another day are of the utmost importance. With that being said, I am trying to decide between the 1000RR and the 600RR. I am six foot tall and 210 lbs. Is the 600RR too small for me? I have asked around and gotten different advice. Everything from the 600RR is too small for you, you'll get bored with it's lack of power/speed quickly, etc. On the other side of the spectrum I hear that the 1000RR is too powerful for a first time rider or it's perfect for me. HELP! What is true and what is BS? I appreciate eberyone's support and thrive on as many responses as possible. Thanks.
I ended up going with the 600RR and have to say that I feel I made the right decision. I agree with everyone on here who says you can get killed with ANY bike, but the bottom line is to take your time to learn the bike and it's capabilities. Take it slow and PRACTICE. The 600rr is NO JOKE. This things moves like i'm not even on it, and can scare the hell out of you and top 90mph in only 3rd gear ( a little faster than a dirt bike)! Always wear proper gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots) and take the MSF course (about $150.00), plus a 10% discount on insurance after you pass the course. If looking for good, inexpensive insurance STATE FARM is the way to go IMO. Again, there is nothing wrong with the 600rr to start but be aware that this is a serious bike, with experienced capabilities. Good luck and welcome. You have joined a great group on here!!

Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM

I suspect that smokemaker never got the F4i up on the pipe. My 05 is not all that impressive under 8000 revs, but between 8 and 14 it can scare the crap out of me, and I been going fast on motorcycles for almost 4 decades! However, if ridden with great caution and real respect, the F4i could be a better choice than some of the alternatives. (I often hear people suggest an older UJM. Now there's a bike taylor made for killing newbies!)

I still say the 599 is an even better choice for a first bike. The engine is the same displacement as our CBRs, but it is a different configuration. The CBR's are "big bore short stroke" engines; typical of hot rods. The 599 Hornet has a longer stroke and smaller bore. That translates into a mellower and much broader power band. At low rpms it actually feels stronger than a CBR because it has more low end torque. Don't dismiss this bike lightly. It is one of the most popular bikes in europe, and in 04 was number one in the european union. THESE ARE THE FOLKS WHO INVENTED SPORT BIKES!! ( ie the old cafe racers.) And they love the 599.

Boo

Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 PM

ive got my 03 600rr for sale.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 PM

I started out on an EX 500, and I have NEVER regreted it!! I have since moved up to an '06 1000RR. Take it slow. That little 500 nearly broke my neck and other body parts many times. If it had been anything bigger I would most likely be dead.

I know I'm taking this saying from someone else...Don't let your first bike be your dream bike.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Get what is comfortable for you.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:47 AM

thanks for all the input
I picked up an 02 cbr 600 f4 last week, and it's a pretty good bike, I have been riding every day now since last week,
are there any good articles and other info I should read about CBRs and their performance,
where Can I find all the info and specs of the bike, such as C ratio, rod ratio, ....
also is there anywhere I can download the Service manual for this bike?
I am really liking this bike, and this active forum

Old 06-15-2006, 01:35 PM

good choice, i bought an f4i a month ago....at first i wasn't impressed by the power and was considering selling it after a couple seasons of getting used to it. but now i've started to realize the real power and thrill that is within. These things can really blow you away when you think u've figured them out. enjoy the ride

Old 06-15-2006, 05:16 PM

POWER=RPM, I found that out after my 600RR came back from the initial service. not too fast until the 7,000 RPM range, then gone....................