New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

I am new and help me what bike to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am new and help me what bike to buy

hey guys,
I am very serious about buying a bike within the next week, but i want some of the experts to help me out here,
I am 23 175 lbs 6 feet tall
I have been rding dirt bike for the last two years, I started with a CR250R
I have done lots of track racing before with my Civic and Integra TYPE R,
this bike will be my first street bike, as you can see I have always owned Hondas and love them
I am looking into the CBR600
I have been on my friend's F4 and I thought it would be faster than my dirt bike, but it didnt feel like that, he says I should just buy the RR instead, but on Honda.com , I was looking at specs and both are pretty much the same except suspension and handling, dont get me wrong, I dont wanna super Fast bike, to Kill my self, but I dont wanna get sick of my bike after a month,
so if you guys can lead me to some good links and info on the net and may be you can tell me what bike would better fit me,

Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Default RE: I am new and help me what bike to buy

Here's my .02:

I rode dirt bikes CR125 (everyday) and CR250 (upon occasion) and my 06 CBR600RR would smoke both of them without trying. There is NO comparison. Maybe the F4 you rode has some problems or something. You will not be dissapointed with the 600RR (has more power than the F4i- about 15HP, better brakes, forks, etc...). Or, you can always get the 1000RR, but that's too much for me. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:07 AM

well not sure what kind of skills you have but i'm almost positive you're not going to ride a 600RR to its limits. you won't get bored of it anytime soon best of luck to you in getting a great bike! post pics of the civic & type R in the mean time

btw, welcome to the forum!

Old 06-03-2006, 11:19 AM

Would suggest that you take a MSC to be familiarize yourself with local and state laws pertaining to street riding, plus it would be a smart thing to do if you are needing the motorcycle endorsement for your liscense in your state.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 PM

F4i or 600RR should blow away any dirtbike you mentioned. If it really is an F4, being non-fuel injected (F4i is FI), is also contributing to the lack of power. The RR has a more aggressive riding position so the F4i feels better to me but it's all personal preference. You really won't outride either, safely.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:41 PM

thanks for all the input,
I dont think I am gonna go for a 1000, I think it's too much specially for a begginer,
so the 600 should be fine for me, however I dont know where I can find detailed spec of the two F4 and RR, I believe someone mentioned that RR has 15 HP more than the F4, is this due to a higher Redline? are the trannys on both bike exactly the same? i noticed the CR is same on both bikes,
I have seen a yellow 04 RR, is there anything I should look for when buying a bike?
thanks for all the help
PS: what is the MSC by the way

Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: smokemaker

PS: what is the MSC by the way
i think they meant MSF. http://www.msf-usa.org/ the MSF is the motorcycle safety foundation and they have classes for beginner and advanced riders, as well as others. it a great class for learning the basics.

and by the way, i think you should start on something other than a 600rr. and if you do go for a 600 repli-racer, go with an older used bike. the 600rr is not a beginner bike and should not be taken lightly.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:09 PM

Just as nine2nine said the RR is not a beginner's bike, and I'll submit that neither is the F4i. I have been riding for 37 years and I do not get anywhere near the limitations of my 05 F4i! With your limited experience, if you start pushing ANY middle weight sport bike to its limits, you'll be dead in a week! In all earnestness I suggest you take a long look at the Honda 599 Hornet. It's built in Italy and is one of the best selling bikes in europe. It runs like a rocket, but is much more user friendly than any of our CBRs, and therefore far less likely to turn you into road kill.

Just a Bit of Fatherly Advice,
Boo

Old 06-05-2006, 02:41 PM

While I had ridden on sport bikes here and there I never owned one and my first bike was an 02 F4i. The owner of the dealership, initially, tried to talk me out of it due to the fact 600's are way fast today especially with fuel injection. But if anyone rides with a little sense in their head and doesn't push the limits right out of the gate an F4i could be good, even for a beginner. Whatever bike you get, learn the right way to ride. MSF or ABATE is a good way to learn. Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 PM

Yea, i'll have to agree. All this a 600 RR/ F4I is not a starter bike is not a fair statement IMO. I would say, " a CBR is not a good beginner bike for people who don't use their brian." any bike can kill, just like any car, truck, or kitchen sink - if you don't use your head. Just ride within your limits and don't be tempted to try stupid things. If you know your going to push your limits without first learning what they are, then don't get ANY fast bike first. Your call, have fun and take the MSF.