New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Howdy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 I'm with Junkie on this one - LEAVE IT ALONE
2 Yes there are tank products to fix the problem, like Kreem etc but there's too much out of place on this bike.
Me, I wouldn't even look at it any further, irrespective of the price.

Your size and weight makes you a candidate for a 1000F - big, fast bike and probably better looked after than the cheaper sports bikes in your pricerange.

Don't be in a hurry over this - there are plenty of good bikes around - don't get stuck with a lemon...................

Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've talked to the owner of the bike on the phone, she's wanting to get rid of it because its her ex-husbands. She doesn't want any emotional ties to it anymore. As for bikes in my area...the only other bikes i can find in that price range are late 80's bikes. not my style. and I'm not into cruisers or hogs. Don't get me wrong, nighthawks are nice looking, but i want something funner. And for my weight, lol, i'm 5'11", 230lbs. Not fat, but delivered a lot of sheet rock, so I have some muscle...I don't get out of breath tying my shoes yet. lol. If I could find a nice sports bike in the mid to late 90's, i think I would be ok with it. and I don't mind traveling...a LITTLE ways, lol. any idea's? I've looked at the classifieds on this site and they all seem to be old posts. and ya...I'm a little under the influence of vodka, so I might have a few run on sentences. lol

Old 04-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are keen, the Hurricane boys will find you a 90-94 model in good shape, which will be a much better option, for a big guy like yourself. No offense but a 600 will be a bit on the small side for you, IMO. Sure there are guys out there your size on 600's but they soon learn that
1 it isn't that comfortable for a big guy
2 your butt gets sore after 150 miles on that flat slab of plastic seat....

We're here if you need us............
Luck to you

(and no matter what she says, I wouldn't touch that bike..............)
Just my 2c worth FWIW

Old 04-11-2010, 02:50 AM

Lol, as for size, the VERY first cycle I drove was a '98 BMW K1100. It was HUGE compared to me. Ya, it was comfortable, but wasn't practical, I don't like standing on my tip-toes while at a stop light. And if I could find something in my price range, I'd be glad to take a look. Looks like I'm headed to the Hurricane section. Lol

Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VIN sticker will be on the frame, upper left side towards the forks. Should be visible with the fairings on.

Make sure the woman has the legal right to sell the bike. If the title isn't in her name or she didn't inherit it when her husband passed, it's not in your price range. If she does have the legal ability to sell the bike, go over there with $700 in twenties. A thick stack of cash helps convince people that don't want something to say yes.

Just be ready for wrench work. Shame you weren't closer. My F3 isn't technically worth much with a reconstructed title and maxxed mileage. But she's rock solid after all the work I've done to her and will make some new rider a very reliable learning platform. When I'm ready to part with her that is

Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM

I know exactly what you're thinking, and this bike is so "getable" that it's eating away at your soul. You're spending hours searching online for others, but you're mostly just searching for more info about this bike. You can't get it out of your head. Your girlfriend thinks you're nuts cause you even joined some forum to talk with people about the bike. And, in all likelihood, no matter what we all say, you'll probably go buy it. With that in mind, I'm trying to help as much as possible, but like everyone else, I'd say stay away from this one, cause too much sounds odd.

My first bike was a "mechanic special" and they wouldn't even let me test ride it, nor let a salesman ride it cause it was on a salvaged title. It was a 1982 Virago 900cc. I flat out got lucky with it. My second bike was also a salvaged bike, a 1996 Interceptor. Plastics were shredded but it ran just fine, a little scary over 70 mph due to the air turbulance though. The key to both was that I knew that each was in poor condition, but it was the cosmetics and not the guts that weren't great in each.

I'm a fan of getting a cheap bike for your first, but you gotta go in extremely skeptical. If it's cheap and the cosmetics aren't bad, something else must be wrong! If you've only got that $1,500.00 bucks . . . you certainly don't want to waste it.

Have you ridden the bike? Have you started the bike? Because you're not very experienced, I'd ask one of the guys at the bike shop to ride it down the street and back, and ask them to cycle through all gears and get it up into so higher revs in 1st or 2nd. You'll know really quickly if something sounds or looks funny. Check the brakes, stopping is kinda important, I guess.

I've heard those gas tank lining products are bad news and I don't see how it could fix your "bubble."

Holy crap, monster truck rally on TV. Wait, there's no bigfoot, what is going on. My world is crashing around me. I've gotta go google what happened to bigfoot.

Peace

Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Not exactly true scoots. The story behind my F3:

Was at my usualy titty bar hangout when a friend who danced there came in. It was before she had to work so we sat down and tossed back a few. Don't quite remember how the subject of bikes came up but it did and she mentioned she had a bike that was wasting space at her mom's house. Said it didn't run so she'd let me have it for $500. I went over pretty skeptical but pretty sure I'd grab it. True to her word, it'd crank but not start. Got the cash and came back with a U-Haul pickup + friend. Loading ramp nightmares and tons of sweat we got her on board and home.

Off the truck and in the driveway, my bud said "hey give it a crank so we can see what's in store". Key in, starter button pushed... She lit right up. Guessing being in transit kicked something loose

$50 worth of spark plugs, $8 worth of gas and...
Name:  DSC00796.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  97.0 KB

What I've done so far is clean the carbs several times ($0), put in a Dynojet Stage 1 kit ($100), replace the gauges & wire harness ($50), replace the radiator with a stock one ($20), replace the linkage with a stock one ($20), new tires ($190), new chain & sprockets ($150) and replace the front axle ($20). I've spent more on tools, painting, led kits and stuff that wasn't anywhere near necessary. But she runs strong as hell. And aside from wanting to strangle the mechanic that had his mitts on her dozens of times, I haven't had any real issues except a minor lowside from my own stupidity.

Name:  IMG_0035.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  92.2 KB

I'm not advocating blowing a wad of cash on a potential headache. But some bikes are steals waiting to be stolen

Last edited by Kuroshio; 04-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM

You are 100% right, there are deals out there . . . but this one is being sold by some guys at a mechanic shop, not by a non-mechanic out of her garage. Bad for seals, crazy ex-wife, weird hole in tank with weird patch, 2 different models and years, neither of which appear to be right . . . I'm skeptical.

But yeah, my first bike was the same way, as I said, they wouldn't even ride it, but it was on a salvage title. Turns out the only mechanical issue I had was that ran a little rich and would foul out spark plugs regularly. My solution was simply to get some hotter plugs.

That thing was a beast and it was born the same year I was.

And you gotta admit, you got lucky as all hell, as I did with my first one.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Eyes wide open would be my suggestion too. That's why I suggested $700. And be prepped to use the leftover cash fixing it up.

I'm not gonna enjoy letting my F3 go, first street bike and all. But I'm getting an 06 F4i in near mint condition. The F3 served so many purposes in getting me ready. From riding to wrenching. So if you can get away with spending less than $1000 on your first bike, sometimes the mechanic's specials are best.

I damn sure don't want to drop the F4i twice in 5 minutes like I did the F3

Old 04-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Scoots, your good, figured me out. Except for the whole joining a forum thing. What better place to get information? I've done it before, when I owned my RX7 (FC) and my 240sx (S13). RX7club.com and Northwestnissans.com.

I have heard the bike start up, saw the guy drive it to put it in the shop. He held a wheelie. Lol, but it was loud. Not sure if I prefer loud or quiet exhaust. I like the sleek silent type of vehicles. But I love the drift car exhausts too. Oh well.

I got pictures uploaded. The black one is the CBR in question. The red one is a race bike the shop had sittin in the back. Race bike is only $600. But not street legal the guy said. He's rebuiling it and isn't TRYING to sell it, but he would if somebody wanted it.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4300.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4301.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4302.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4303.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4304.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4305.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4306.jpg

Race Bike
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4307.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4308.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSCN4309.jpg

And in regards to my eyes open, I have a program on my MyTouch, that informs me of new items posted to the Motorcycles catagory on Craigslist. I'm searching Oregon, Cali, Washington and Idaho. So I'm not confined and don't mind traveling.

Quick Reply: Howdy!!!