New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Howdy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy!!!

Wow...I never thought trying to say "Hi" for the first time on this forum would be so hard! Feels like I'm in an AA meeting. Lol, anyways, whats up!

I don't officially own a bike yet, but I stopped by one today that caught my eye. ALMOST as much as my girlfriend...and I'm only putting that because she's laying right next to me. Lol. I've been looking off and on for the last year or so, for a bike to get. I've looked at a lot, never did anything about it. I took the Motorcycle Safety class (Team Oregon) so getting my license is just a simple trip to DMV to show them my Cert. I know that doesn't make me an great rider, but its a great place to start.

Now is where I ask my first question or so.

The bike I looked at today was (what the guy told me) a 2004 CBR F4. After searching the internet and browsing the site, I starting to question that. The sticker on the side of the bike said F4, but not F4i. So maybe a little help from you guys, I'll be in town tomorrow to stop by the bike again, so if there's anything I should look into about helping me figure out what it really is, that'd be great!

Another thing I wanted to ask, is about some issues with the bike. The guy is selling it for his friend, who is only wanting $1600, its sitting at a motorcycle shop, which has been around for a while, and the guy works there. The first issue, is the fuel tank. There is a bubble in it. The lady kicked it over when she was pissed off at her ex-husband and ended up puncturing it. It was fixed with something, ya I don't know what. but it now has a bubble. Bubble is about a quarter size...and yes...it is possible to push the bubble and have it come back out. How much would it be to fix this?

Another issues is the fork seals are going to be needing replacement soon. Since this would be my first bike, I have no idea what that runs to be repaired...and even if its something I can do myself.

So if I could get some input about the price of the bike, whats wrong with it, and how much it would take to repair it...that'd be great! Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 AM

oh ya...forgot to tell you about me. I'm Adam, 25 years old, hail from Central Oregon, divorced, father, 220lbs (Not TOO fat), 5'11", hazel eyes, strawberry blonde hair...wait...this isn't THAT type of site. LMAO ya...its late and I'm making myself laugh, sorry Goodnight

Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy Hey, Adam! Don't think anyone has convinced Chainstretcher to add a Dating subforum yet so yeah ya kinda hit the TMI zone at the eyes

To answer your question, check the VIN sticker on the frame. If it's 2004, then its a F4i and they prolly replaced the fairings. If you're really worried about something shady, match the frame's VIN to the VIN stamped on the engine.

Pop over to the F4i section and throw out your questions. Guys will answer up. Good luck on the bike

Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 AM

welcome to the site mate, you seem a bit nuts so im sure you'll fit in very well.

i would suggest getting a mate with a bit of bike knowledge or better yet a mechanic or indapendant inspector to check the bike out before you buy it. i would say you'd be up for a new tank or one from a motorcycle wreckers and fork seals arent expensive (check ebay) and are easy enough to do yourself. id say theres info on here to show you how. as far as the stickers go id say that the fairings have been resprayed at some point and they are replacement. my advice is get the bike checked by atleast one other person not involved with the shop before you buy.

keep us posted,

cheers chris

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOL & Welcome

Hi my name is Sprock and I own a CBRF4 (jk)............LOL that AA analogy
was too funny ........but it can be a bit that way sometimes

Hey with the bike the tank issue seems to be a really bogus repair job, I'd
spring for another tank new or used, the forks run probably 200 bucks
in a shop, you could tackle it yourself , check your bike section I'm sure
you'll get more bike specific info right there

Anyway man, welcome to the forum , hope you find the right bike for
yourself and try to resist impulse buying ! Buy based on facts.

Gear up and Ride Safe !

Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 PM

Ya...I can be a bit odd, sometimes. No point in being "normal" ALL the time. Gotta have fun and live life to the fullest.

I just called the shop, where its located, and its not like a HUGE puncture...its more of a microscopic puncture. The guy says there's a way of fixing it, by emptying all the gas, buying something to clean the inside of it (squeeze it in the tank and shake it around), then squeezing in another product, shaking it around, and letting it dry for 24 hours. Thats what he said it needs to be fixed...not sure if any of you have heard of something like that and how well it would work.

Also, the guy said it was a 2001 F4, so I don't need to worry about the model now.

So what do you guys think of the price? With whats wrong with it, does that sound like a decent price? I'm not going to offer the full $1600, maybe $1400 due to me having to repair the items mentioned.

Also, its black currently, but it was origionally yellow. There are some parts where yellow is still showing, inside of front fairing.

Maybe I'll just go down there and take some pictures, upload them here and see what you guys think.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i just registered you at match.com.
expect emails in a few minutes!

welcome to the forums!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^lol...easy spicy..he's a newbie
Welcome aboard Adam!
Id stay away from this one Adam.....sounds like tooo much going on with the bike ie. tank,fork seals, etc.
If the bike was a 2001 then it would be a F4i. The F4 was from '99-'00 so thats telling me he's not telling you the right year or the bike has second hand fairings on it from another bike...an F4 (the lower fairings are interchangeable between the two).

One way to tell is by the frame...if it's silver ie. bare aluminum, then its an F4 or F4i from '04-'06. Another way is the gauge cluster. The F4i has a digital speedometer and analog tach. Hope this helpsin your decision.
My suggestion is look elsewhere....too many things are out of place on this bike.
Good luck and keep us posted on your decision

Old 04-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Welcome!

One thing you can do is take the VIN, make sure it matches on the bike's several locations, and if so, run it through a vin decoder site:
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/honda.asp

That'll give you all the details. Also, the bike is at a motorcycle shop? Ask them how much to do the seals, seems like an obvious solution to that problem.

One other thing to be weary of . . . a bike shop selling the bike for a "friend." I've seen some of these deals done as a way to distance to shop from the sale, so you can't go after them later if you get screwed. Get as much info about the shop as possible, maybe print that online ad, take a picture of the bike at the shop, get the salesman's business card, and see if you can't get something on the shop's letterhead, maybe ask them to print you an invoice or bill of sale. Granted, I'm a lawyer and always try to be prepared for the "what ifs," so maybe this advice is just a little paranoid and unnecessary. Your call, but I bet when push comes to shove, they tell you that you're buying the bike from the "friend" and not the shop, unless it's a legit consignment deal.

The price seems right and I'm a big fan of getting a cheap bike for your first one. Good Luck, and keep us informed.

Last edited by scoots; 04-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 PM

I'm cool with the match.com...just don't tell my girlfriend. lol, she got a laugh out of it actually. I did get some pictures of the bike that I will upload to photobucket and link to in this thread or a CBR thread. It has an analog speedo and tach. And I'm not needing a "perfect" bike, for my first one. Cosmetics aren't that big of a deal to me, due to me expecting to lay it down sooner or later. Its going to happen, no matter how safe I try to be with it. And where would I find the VIN on it to search for it online? Another reason why I like this bike is the price. My price range is tops $1500, and I don't want a bike from the 80's. No offense to the 80's owners out there, just not my taste. I don't want to start with a 250, due to the fact I weigh 230. There wouldn't be enough umph to it, IMO. I appreciate all the input, and I haven't stopped looking on Craigslist either. I like this bike, but I'm keeping my eyes open to others within 300 miles as well.

Quick Reply: Howdy!!!