New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

How many miles is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles is too many?

On a used bike how many miles is too many?? Everyone I talk to has their own opinion. But what is a good rule of thumb on milage?

Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: How many miles is too many?

kinda hard to set a number... need to know the year, condition, owner and price. I think it's just a judgment call on your part. I’ve never ran across a sport bike with 100K +…. But I have on goldwings and cruisers and they run great.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

kinda hard to set a number... need to know the year, condition, owner and price. I think it's just a judgment call on your part. I’ve never ran across a sport bike with 100K +…. But I have on goldwings and cruisers and they run great.

Very well said. It all depends on a lot of factors.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM

Good average miles would be around 5-7k a year so its an easy some - bike is 2001 and has 32k miles is a little high, about 28k would be `average` but like peeps have said there many more factors to it that might help you decide to buy a bike, a well maintained service record is a must in my op.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Me personally, I wouldn't buy a used bike with over 25k miles on it. But thats my personal opinion. I've known people with sportbikes that had over 50k miles on them. It's all about how they are taken care of and ridden.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM

yeah i agree with all the above but i have seen sport bikes with 65,000 that still run very strong but were well takein care of

Old 12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
L8X

ive actually never seen a bike over 32k miles. its sad really, it means people total them sooner or later. jeez, sorry for the morbid thought.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM

My previous bike ('97 F3) had 78k miles when i sold it. And it was still a very track worthy bike. I wanted to keep it until 100k miles (which I had no doubt it would reach) but my family bought my present bike for me on Father's Day. My buddy has a '96 F3 with almost 90k miles on it. I know of other CBRs with over 100k miles on them.

Maintenance is the key!!!!!

IMHO, people put too much emphasis on mileage as an indication of the condition of the bike. You can have a bike with only a few thousand miles on it and be total junk because the owner abuses it (e.g. wheelies, burnouts, etc). Or just as bad, you can have a bike with low mileage but has sat for several years. Non-use is a killer of engines!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: abadfish

Maintenance is the key!!!!!

IMHO, people put too much emphasis on mileage as an indication of the condition of the bike. You can have a bike with only a few thousand miles on it and be total junk because the owner abuses it (e.g. wheelies, burnouts, etc). Or just as bad, you can have a bike with low mileage but has sat for several years. Non-use is a killer of engines!
totally agree. i would rather buy a 50,000 mile well kept bike than a 5,000 mile no mantenence burnout machine.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 PM

I agree on what some of the others are saying. It is hard to say. I had a cbr1100xx with 72,580 miles on it. Believe me those were the most hardest earned miles of a big bike I have ever seen. Do some investigating when looking at a bike. I went to the dealer with a friend and the bike had about 20k on it. The dealer was asking a fair price may be a bit over blue book. But as I poked around I had seen there was plastic burn on the fairing, right by the exhaust. So I asked the sales men hey had this bike been laid down? His reply of course...oh no...it has brand new plastics? Hmm why would it have brand new plastics if it has not been laid down. The plastics that were on there were also damaged. To make it short they knocked the price waaaaay down, gave my buddy a nice helmet. You can thank OCS for that one.

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many?