New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi from Maine

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Maine

I'd been thinking of getting a CBR for a while now. It's been some time since I owned a sport bike. My last was a 1986 Honda VFR that I bought new.

I sort of stumbled onto a free bike near the end of summer, which I fixed up with the help of a friend. It was a nearly thirty year old Yamaha XS850, which probably hadn't been started since the mid 90s. It took some work to get it running, but riding it brought back the motorcycle bug. Unfortunately, I quickly found the performance lacking in pretty much every respect, especially compared to my memories of riding the VFR, which handled competently and had good brakes, too.

Initially I was drawn to the Yamaha R1. I'm 6'2", and I heard the R1 was a little roomier than the other bikes. I'm sure the Ninja and GSXR are great bikes, but I really don't care much for their style. The Kawasaki looks a little too plain and the GSXR looks way to busy, but hey, to each his own.

So, the R1 had my eye, but the closer I looked the better the CBR seemed. This combined with very positive experiences with my previous Honda led me to buy a leftover 2008 1000RR. The pricing didn't hurt, either.

So, I now have a wopping 140 miles on the clock. I was lucky to get a couple nice rides in before the snow hit this past weekend. Now I can't wait for Spring.....

Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the CBRF, man!

You certainly made the right choice. The new 1000RR is a one sweet machine. Congratulations!

I wish you the best of luck getting acquainted with the new beast. Be sure to take her easy and wear all your good gear. This ain't no VFR as you've probably noticed....

There are a bunch of cool 1000RR riders around here, so stop by the section and say hi. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Again, welcome to the forums and Ride Safe!

(It's gotta be tough getting a new ride at this time of the year, you're right....and in maine no less. It was in the high 20's in southern PA today... brrrrrr....)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Thanks! Yeah, it's certainly a different bike from the VFR. I think my VFR was more of a true sports bike than the later versions, but difference in power and braking are still remarkable. I feel a little like Rip Van Winkle.

The tires are radials! Not sure, but I think the old VFR seemed to lean into turns a little quicker. Is that a result of the skinnier tires?

Working on the gear in the off months. Just snagged a Corsair V to replace my old old old Arai F1. Lots more gear to find, but I plan on keeping my bike pretty much stock. Somehow I think it's fast enough, or at least it is for now!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator - Retired

Haha! Rip Van Winkle...

You're probably right on the skinnier tires thing. A little suspension setup on the rr should make a nice difference, too.

As far as it being fast enough, I'd say you're good forever with this one just the way it is....lol..

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome back into the fold F Bud!
As I'm sure you've already discovered, the new 1000RR is quite the performance machine!
Good luck with her & post some pics when you can

Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks guys. It's great to be back. Took it for a real short ride today in 20 something degree weather. Here's to a short winter.....

Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator - Retired

Thanks guys. It's great to be back. Took it for a real short ride today in 20 something degree weather. Here's to a short winter.....
Haha! I've been doing the same thing. I actually have a heated jacket and coldgear. 20s is still a little chilly..lol..
I'm wishin' for a short winter, too.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey F Bud, 140 miles on the clock , you are teasing us ......LOL it sure is a deep freeze this week man, a short rides for sure..........well if we a get a few warmer days here
might catch ya out and about since you are not so far from where I am.

Hey got a pic of that brand spanking bike of yours ??

Old 12-12-2009, 01:40 PM

ok, here ya go. Another 30 miles on her today....

brrrrrrrrrr.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM

nice bike and welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Hi from Maine