New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, help please!

Hi, i'm new to the forums. I recently purchased a 2002 CBR600 F4i as my first bike after much consideration and deliberation. Of course, i completed the MSF course as required by FL before getting my endorsement and taking her on the road. You'll have to forgive me for foregoing some of the introductory banter in exchange to ask for assistance with a major issue:

A couple days i was riding home from a friend's after waiting for it to stop raining, so the bike had some moisture on it. I began experiencing one of the only intermittent problems the bike has had (since purchase) where the brights would flicker on and didn't want to turn off. Frustrated, i punched the switch at a light to try to keep them off and the entire bike cut off. I pushed it up onto the sidewalk and off the road and into the parking lot and eventually towed it back to my house. Ever since then there are no lights coming on, no fuel pump prime, nothing. It's as if the key isn't even turned "ON" though it is.

I checked fuses (all i could find), battery has charge, couldn't push start it though it would try to start/turn over it wouldn't crank. Any ideas>

Thanks!

(pics to come.... eventually)

Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

where the brights would flicker on and didn't want to turn off. Frustrated, i punched the switch at a light to try to keep them off and the entire bike cut off. Ever since then there are no lights coming on, no fuel pump prime, nothing. It's as if the key isn't even turned "ON" though it is.

So what your saying is bike seen rain, Then when riding home the light flickers? Which light are you referring to? would not turn off? Even if you turn off the key ignition?

Sound like you got a electrical short? Maybe a ignition fuse or a relay

Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM

I've been keeping it garaged since i purchased it a few weeks ago. I only mentioned the rain in case it was important. The high beam indicator was flickering on (while riding, not with the key "off"), so the high beams were the ones flickering on/off. I mashed the switch to try to keep them off, and everything on the bike cut off. No response from it now in any way from turning the key. Also, the underglow still works and just a side not i have aftermaket turn signals if any of that helps.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard. F4i's are great bikes. Congrats on it being your first.

Kudos on taking the MSF course. I recommend it to everyone.

For your specific questions, the F4i section & General Tech will hopefully provide you w/ the answers you seek.

Looking forward to the pics!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Well i feel dumb... it was all the master fuse. Once i found it it was, obvously, very easy to correct. Started right up with no issues once a new fuse was in. Thought i had checked the master fuse, but i guess i was confused about its hidden location. Anyways i'll try to post some pics of my bike later today when i get home. It's a 2002 CBR600 F4i, 30K miles, Two Bro.s exhaust (slip on), K&N intake, newish paint (grn/blk), reflective take, and new tires. Just waiting for my HID kit to arrive and install it, then the only other stuff i plan to do is maintence (oil+filter change, rear brake pads, maybe front too, and likely spark plugs). Plan on this being my daily (as long as weather permits) to and fro school (Univ. of Fla). Love the bike though, and also i just got a FS-15 Carbon Fiber helmet a couple days ago in the mail from eBay for about $210 (awesome deal). I highly recommend it, huge diffence in, obviously the weight, and the feel, noise reduction, and ventilation.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Also i plan on getting a jacket soon, maybe some pants and boots too. Possibly some gloves soon too, been using my old paintball gloves.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah. ATGATT

Originally Posted by nubbiecakes
Also i plan on getting a jacket soon, maybe some pants and boots too. Possibly some gloves soon too, been using my old paintball gloves.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 PM

congrats on finding the problem. i was thinking it was the main fuse too after reading the first post. Dont skimp on the gear its more important than the bike itself in my opinion. Great bike by the way.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 AM

Here's the pics

Attached Thumbnails Hi, help please!-2011-08-11_17-19-17_33.jpg   Hi, help please!-2011-07-27_01-52-50_102.jpg   Hi, help please!-2011-08-11_17-19-28_663.jpg