New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi and help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi and help please!

Hi guys I am new here and wanted to say Hi and ask for help on my motorycle. I just got a new bike and it is my first one and I don’t know anything about them besides the small stuff like oil. But it broke down yesterday and I cant find what is wrong.
I wanted to warm the bike up because I havnt been able to ride it yet since it is freezing cold. So I used my dads thottlemister from his Harley it is a kind of cruise control for motorcycles and let the bike run for a while. When I went back out to the garage the bike was shutoff and the garage had smoke in it and the bike was dripping a little bit of oil. I guess the smoke was from the bike being new but I don’t know why it leaked oil. Anyone know what the deal is do I just need to fill it back up with more oil I know my dads harley leaks oil? I dont know what to do with it if anyone knows.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM

If it is NEW as in from dealer take it back.
How long did you let it run and and at What RPM.
You do know these bikes are water cooled and running them at high RPM for
long time is not a good IDEA!
can you spot where the oil came from?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned

Welcome to CBRF!! I agree with Mr. Roberts. Take it back to the dealership and get it looked at. Harleys might be expected to leak some oil, but Hondas are NOT. I have a 92' F2 and it's never dripped a drop of oil my garage floor or anywhere else for that matter. Still not quite sure why you warmed it up with the throttlemeister and not just letting it warm up idling.

Good luck and enjoy the forums!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by joeroberts
If it is NEW as in from dealer take it back. How long did you let it run and and at What RPM. You do know these bikes are water cooled and running them at high RPM for long time is not a good IDEA! can you spot where the oil came from?
+1
Did you have enough gas in it?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM

That's not good that it was leaking oil, especially if it's a new bike. Definitely take that back to the dealer and get them to fix it.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard! As u can kinda see when asking for help, it helps us help you if we know a little bout your bike. What year / model, if you got it used how what's its history, etc.

Right now best can suggest is what pit said: you still got gas in her?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 AM

I still don't see how it running out of gas would have anything to do with oil being on the ground under the bike.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't see how it running out of gas would have anything to do with oil being on the ground under the bike.
Exactly. Something weird happened, I'd say.
We need a history and specifics on the bikes. Oil line maybe? Did the bike overheat?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abeer1
Was going on what he said: "dripping a little bit of oil". A little bit is something minor and shouldn't stop the bike from running, unless that little bit was all it had. So I went with the bigger question: why'd she stop running? Tracking down the oil leak can wait a minute unless the leak is bigger than a 'little bit'

I'm guess his new bike is new to him. Mine developed an oil leak when I trucked her over to the house. Water pump o-ring let go. Never interfered with the bike's running (cept having to pick up a pint once a week).

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM

I only had the rpms at 10 or 11 for half an hour and its not the gas becasue i can still see it in the tank. Im not sure where the oil came from it is a mess and I have to clean it up to check and know.