New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi All! Glad to be part of the best!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really cant say much that hasnt already been said, I just bought my first bike a while ago(92' CBR 600F2) I have been wanting a bike for quite awhile and my father was the same as yours, telling me crazy stories of people dying and getting hurt, I still bought the bike( im 20 and dont live with him so he didnt have too much say in the matter) I just explained to him that I would be as carefull and I possibly could and that I would take all the precautions, he is still a little uncomfortable as any parent would be but he has accepted it. Goodluck friend.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy some riding books like Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist series
I have them on CD's - if you'd like a copy, give me your address..........
Welcome to the asylum !
I agree with all that has been said by my knowledgeable colleagues.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fly... that's really a tough subject with the parents, especially since your dad wrecked out around the same age. He's definitely gonna be the hard one to crack.. lol...
You shouldn't have to pay for his mistake, but at the same time I can completely understand his feelings about his 17yr old boy riding a sportbike.

So how does he feel about a 250 or something? I mean, it's way better than not riding at all, and will make you a better rider. Like maybe a ninja 250 or something? Hell, I know a guy who's been riding for years and regularly runs his Rebel 250.
Plus, you can always get something small at first to prove you're gonna be responsible and then sell it off later for pretty much exactly what you bought it for.
If it's just an issue of not wanting a 250 because it's not cool enough, you're thinking the wrong way about riding in general.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
So how does he feel about a 250 or something? I mean, it's way better than not riding at all, and will make you a better rider. Like maybe a ninja 250 or something? Hell, I know a guy who's been riding for years and regularly runs his Rebel 250.
Plus, you can always get something small at first to prove you're gonna be responsible and then sell it off later for pretty much exactly what you bought it for.
If it's just an issue of not wanting a 250 because it's not cool enough, you're thinking the wrong way about riding in general.
I would have no problem riding a 250, but it's the fact I will lose money when I sell it and wont be able to afford to get the f4i later. Any suggestions there?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator - Retired

I would have no problem riding a 250, but it's the fact I will lose money when I sell it and wont be able to afford to get the f4i later. Any suggestions there?
Not if you get a used one for cheap. You can get a decent Ninja 250R for like $1,500. Then when you're done, just sell it for the same... maybe a couple hundred less.
That's what people do with them.
Same with the Rebels. You can find a decent older one for dirt cheap.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Not if you get a used one for cheap. You can get a decent Ninja 250R for like $1,500. Then when you're done, just sell it for the same... maybe a couple hundred less.
That's what people do with them.
Same with the Rebels. You can find a decent older one for dirt cheap.
Around here, those Ninja's suck, honestly. Someone has a bone stock 2009 with 4000ish miles on it, for 5 grand, more than they are new! Most of the ones for $1,500 need tires and a clutch and some other work, a 250 with 25,000 miles is $1,800, thinking about that one for the rest of the summer, then selling it next spring. But at the same time, I found the f4i of my dreams! Silver with black, carbon stuff all over, never layed down, just crazy good looking, but no crazy mods. AHHH the stresses of motorcycles, you guys have helped a ton, thanks for all the responses and support!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator - Retired

Hey man... I understand.
I was just saying that if it's the difference between riding and not... do what you can. Ya know?

By the way... if you haven't seen it already, this site makes craigslist a lot easier to use: craiglook.com

Best of luck, man!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Hey man... I understand.
I was just saying that if it's the difference between riding and not... do what you can. Ya know?

By the way... if you haven't seen it already, this site makes craigslist a lot easier to use: craiglook.com

Best of luck, man!
Very good point, I'm doing what I can, I don't know how my dad would take a 250, I'll see what he thinks of that idea. And that site is really nice! Surprised I didn't find that sooner! Thanks a ton!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im quite a bit older than you.. but I bought a Ninja 250 as my first bike last season... it was a great bike to learn on... I rode it for about 800 miles before I took the MSF BRC.. then rode it another 1200 miles after that... I sold it, and I bought my F4.

The N250 sold to teh first person that looked at it.. they don't lose money.. there is always somebody looking for one, especially the pregens.. the newer design is more expensive, but its just looks.. the pregen is a great bike.. will get 50-60mpg and will roll along all day long 80mph on teh highway... 100 if you lean on it...

Having the 250 was great for moving to a 600.. I rarely lean on my F4... I havent even gone above 8K rpm really.. no need.. it has plenty of power..... you are as safe as you right hand will allow you to be... plus the stuff you don't have control over.. like other drivers...

as was said before.. a 30 mph low side is tehe same on a 250 as on a liter bike..

good luck

Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM

The tax in wisconsin, plus the title transfer fee, and registration, is several hundred dollars. I know to most of you, a drop of water in the ocean, but as a kid, thats the difference between owning my own F4i and continuing to dream for many years after college. I really would like to have the 250, but I also am worried that after that, I won't respect the f4i the way I should, and I'll get arrogant and do something stupid, the 600 just won't scare me the way it should. Low siding isn't the concern of me or my parents I'm thinking, it's other drivers and the power available, as in wheelying(don't know how to spell that!), or flippling it if i accidently dump the clutch. I know what all of you are gonna say after this, and say I will try to find the bikes limits, but I honestly have no desire to go above highway speeds unless I visit a trackday and have some serious coaching time. I just don't have the guts to do it after what I have heard, but no one seems to believe that, which is understandable when a kid wants a sport bike. Don't know how to convince my dad, it's all I think about, and he refuses to discuss it, he gets mad and ignores me. Very frustrating, thank you for letting me vent!

Quick Reply: Hi All! Glad to be part of the best!