New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi All! Glad to be part of the best!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hi All! Glad to be part of the best!

Hi everybody, wanna say hi from Wisconsin! I really am glad to have found this site, better than every other forum I'm aware of! You guys all seem helpful and have just crazy amounts of knowledge! Hopefully you can help with all my questions, starting with this(sorry if I should make this another thread somewhere else, mods, you can move it if wanted), but I'm 17, have rode dirtbikes maybe two times, down a road and back, and a fourwheeler with a clutch on a three mile trip. So would starting out on an 01 f4i be over my head or is it something you think I can handle. It honestly scares the s*** outta me but I wont be able to afford a 250 or 500 to learn on, because I'll lose money and wont be able to make it up at work, this is my bike, not daddys. I think I can handle it, but my dad really thinks otherwise. Wanna hear what you guys have to say about it! Thanks guys! Again, glad to be among the best!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Well i'd certainly suggest taking a MSF class first. That will give you the basic understandings and knowledge. You'll know just enough to be dangerous hah.

I myself started on a 600, and don't see a problem with it. You'll get a lot of mixed answers here and just about anywhere else, but just go with what you're most comfortable with.

I'll add that sometimes being scared isn't a bad thing as long as its not crippling. A healthy fear at the start can turn into a healthy respect for the machine underneath you.
As for fear inspiring moments I'll also never forget the first time I got on 66 (major highway around here) and hit 60mph. I looked down at the ground and thought I was flying.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM

I will be taking the MSF course as soon as one fricken opens up around here! There full before sign-up is possible it seems alot of the time. I hear lots of people who start on 600's without a problem but to my dad that means nothing, any good legit arguement I can use?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyF4i
I will be taking the MSF course as soon as one fricken opens up around here! There full before sign-up is possible it seems alot of the time. I hear lots of people who start on 600's without a problem but to my dad that means nothing, any good legit arguement I can use?
Honestly, no. He's right. To put it another way, someone has to win the lottery. But look how many people don't win. You won't win the argument.

Starting on a 600 is possible. It's not advised for several reasons however. You'll learn to ride a sport bike on a 600 than if you started on a 250. The intimidation factor and the reality of the bike slipping the rear with too much throttle will slow you down.

The best way to convince your dad is to show your dad you're taking it seriously. Get full street gear before you buy the bike. Complete the MSF before buying the bike. Buy some riding books like Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist series. Show him that you're doing everything you can to educate and protect yourself before you buy the bike. Demonstrate that you're serious and are preparing yourself as best you can.

He'll be easier to swing that way

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 AM

About 3 months ago, I started riding 600F4i (1st bike) and it was the best decision for me. It is very responsive in dealing with traffic, solid feel, not too big, and is very comfortable to ride. My friend let me try out his new Ninja 250R. It is much slower, less responsive, and quite honestly more vulnerable on the interstate.

I am an older dude, but if I had a 17 year old who wanted a bike, it really wouldn't matter the type, since many accidents are caused by the other driver not seeing the motorcycle/rider.

Look up the facts about motorcycle fatalities, injuries, and information about the bike, then sit down with your father, point this information out, and let him know how serious you are about safety. View some You Tube videos of guys being vaporized on their bikes before you get crazy with your riding buddies.

In Dallas it is mandatory to pass the Motorcycle Safety Course prior to taking the Motorcycle License Exam and it also takes a while (over a month) to get a seat in the class. Even if the class is not mandatory for you, I highly recommend, since many instructors are retired cops, there will be techniques covered in a controlled environment for hard braking, swerving, and dealing with objects in the road (as well as other inexperienced riders).There is also an insurance discount upon completion.

Oh, and ask the old man to go with you to observe while you take the class.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
The best way to convince your dad is to show your dad you're taking it seriously. Get full street gear before you buy the bike. Complete the MSF before buying the bike. Buy some riding books like Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist series. Show him that you're doing everything you can to educate and protect yourself before you buy the bike. Demonstrate that you're serious and are preparing yourself as best you can.
Ok so let's say I buy all the gear and what not, and he still ends up with a no. Gears not cheap and it's gonna put a strain on getting another "toy" as far as money goes. The books sound really good, I'd love to read those! Is there a good reason to own one other than gas mileage? My car already gets 40+ MPG, so can't argue that much. Do you guys really think these f4i's are just too fast for me? Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, gear isn't cheap. Getting full gear (helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, at least riding jeans and underarmor) is making a statement to your dad: I'm committed to remaining safe. He's more likely to say yes if you make a commitment like that than if you just run out and buy a bike.

And on 250, you're gonna need that gear anyways. The old Ninja 250s could pull close to 90-100. Lethal speed is still present in a 250. Major injury is still present on a 250. There is no difference between a 35 mph lowside on a 250 vs a 600 vs a 1000.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Well except the 1000 is more likely to break your leg than the other two.

But Kuro is right (god it pains me to say that) - you need gear either way, and its certainly sending pops a message that you're serious, committed to safety and want to do this whole process right. Gear and MSF before purchase.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome!
There's not much for me to add to your question on whether or not the F4i might be right for you as a first bike. Kuro & Nate got it pretty much covered.
Going over EVERYTHING about owning and operating a motorcycle in detail with your dad I think is a must in order for him to "see the light".
Good luck and keep us posted

Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 PM

So I ended up talking to the parents individually yesterday/this morning, and my mom is totally cool with it, she thinks I can handle it, and feels that I will be responsible. My dad however, went off about how he was a kid once too and he knows I'm gonna say I'll behave but then race it and kill myself. I honestly have no intent on going fast, just want something to take out on weekends and ride with some people I know. He also did tell me a story about how he had motorcycles around my age and he wrecked a brand new one three weeks after he got it, but it was his fault, so I think he's scared I will do the same. Not sure how to approach him with that, I feel comfortable with a 600, still scared like h*** though, but he thinks I have no respect for it. Thanks guys, you've been quite helpful!

Quick Reply: Hi All! Glad to be part of the best!