New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hi!!

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about purchasing a cbr250r or a cbr600rr. I am in desperate need for a means of transportation, but I'm a college student, and can't afford paying $300/month to cover car insurance. Am I doing the right thing buy a motorcycle, or should I just stick to public transportation and stop being a sissy?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM

price out motorcycle insurance on the cbr600rr first, even if its not required you will probably want comprehensive.
the 250 will probably cost you 200 dollars a year or less, 600 a year for full coverage. the RR will be 1200-3600 full coverage or higher if you are a first time rider.
insurance is good for new things in case they get stolen.
if you pick up used, i would go with the 250, do not buy a new one unless you are loaded for cash, if you like riding you will be selling it at a loss.
that is unless you never happen to test ride a bigger bike.. then ignorance is bliss...

bottom line buy a used 250cc, colleges used to be pretty cool about the ability to park a motorcycle anywhere.
And with how "green" everyone is, you think they would put parking up front.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, only you can decide what's right for you. ;-) In your position, I would look at the pros & cons of each, & then have a more informed decision. Really tho, w/a bike, you'd be able to make your own schedule & come & go as you please. Besides transpo, it would be a great source of relaxation & enjoyment...something much needed to relieve stress when necessary.

Welcome to CBRF!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome!
If you cant afford $300/month, how will you afford everything that goes along with a bike? Motorcycles are more critical with repairs and maintenance than a car. Tires are expensive and don't last as long. All the additional gear you need to be as safe as you can be can cost lots of $$$. You still need to get fuel, have insurance, and registration. The weather changes can make it miserable, then you will spend on more gear, and can make it impossible to ride. What then? Hot days are really hot while cold days can make you numb. The amount of stuff you can carry is limited to a backpack, things get heavy on your back and get all smashed up.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but just pointing out some things to consider. If you are going to ride a motorcycle, do it because you have a passion for riding. Don't do it to save money on a little gas. Your savings, and then some, will all be spent other ways.

Where are you located? I'm in California and I could almost pull off riding everyday, almost....

Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM

I may be of some help since I just bought my 99 F4 last week and I'm in the middle of paying for all of the expenses.

Here is my price breakdown so far
Helmet, Gloves, and Jacket w/armor = $330 (I still want motorcycle specific boots)
Progressive Insurance, comprehensive with $500 deductible, no collision = $375
State inspection required for registration = $69
Tax, Title, and registration fees (maryland) ~=$150
and add in the Riders Edge/MSF course = $300/$200
and that is just to get on the road. Maintenance costs will add in once you get run up the miles.

I've also bought
Set of new tires $275 + $95 mounting per tire = $465
A chain cleaning kit (the most frequent bike maintenance) = $30

I'd still like a set of riding boots, oil and filter change, spark plugs, and air filter change.

I paid $2000 for the bike and when all is said and done, I'll have spent another $1400 just to legally and safely ride it on the road (not including a RE/MSF course because I took that a long time ago)

Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM

Thank you all for your replies. By what you guys are saying, riding a bike will cost roughly the same as running a car! And guess which one is more practical!! I live in Florida, and its almost daily thunderstorms and rain showers over here..making the idea of get a motorcycle less favorable.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by speeder94
Thank you all for your replies. By what you guys are saying, riding a bike will cost roughly the same as running a car! And guess which one is more practical!! I live in Florida, and its almost daily thunderstorms and rain showers over here..making the idea of get a motorcycle less favorable.
Just not as your only mode of transportation.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 PM

I certainly don't equate it that way speeder94. You can get a good used F4/F4i for $3k or even less. As long as the bike is in good mechanical condition, w/ regular routine maintenance that you can do at home, you can keep it maintained fairly inexpensively. Most maintenance items can easily be done w/ basic tools.

Gas for a bike is certainly w-a-y cheaper than for a car. For the bikes mentioned above, you can easily get 170+ mi per tank. Look at it this way... a tank = 4.76 gal. Even @ $4/gal, that's only $19 per tank fill-up. Try filling up a car tank for $19...you can't.

Insurance for bike that's paid for isn't all that expensive either...as long as you have a good driving record. Keep in mind that you'll need a motorcycle endorsement to be a legal rider. However, getting your motorcycle endorsement isn't all that expensive...for just taking the written & riding test at the DMV. It only gets expensive if you take the MSF course. While we highly recommend the MSF course for learning good basic riding techniques & safety, it isn't a requirement to take it. You could get your endorsement & take the course at a later date if you wish.

Gear doesn't have to be expensive either. You can get a good basic helmet & other gear at CycleGear or your local bike shop, or order online. You can get used gear as well. Nothing wrong w/ used gear (other than helmets), as long as it fits well & is undamaged. You really only need a good helmet, gloves, jacket, & over-the-ankle boots. You can use leather work gloves til you can afford riding-specific gloves. Same goes for the jacket & boots.

So, NO, it doesn't have to be expensive unless you make it that way.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 PM

I only have around $2,500 to spend on all the stuff needed, from the MSF course, to the gear, to the motorcycle itself. I know thats a really tight budget to stick with, but like i said, im a college kid! I looked up at florida dmv's website, and they said that they dont require insurance, theres no state minimum at all. Is it possible to find a clean sturdy bike for around $1500 or less? If not, would i be better off just looking for a scooter? I know they're easier to get for that low of a budget!!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Its possible but you'll really have to look. You'll have to spread out your search area as well to see more bikes.

As for ins... At minimum, you'll need liability & uninsured motorist.