New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey there, virgin lookin for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey there, virgin lookin for advice

Hi there, I joined this forum in the quest to find out as much info as I could to base my decisions on.
OK first of all, I am looking to make my first purchase of a bike and being new to the sport I need so help.
I made a decsion that I want a Honda and that I want a sport bike, so don't try to convince me otherwise.lol
I would be looking for a newer model that would give me lots of trouble free miles.
I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs, so fit is an issue. Also I'm new to this sport but have been riding quads, dirt-bikes and sleds since I was physicaly able to, so I learned quite well over the years that I first must get good before I get fast.lol
If anyone could give some opinions on what bike I should be looking forand any that I should avoid, please let me know.
P.S. I hope they don't cost as much as the sled to run.lol[sm=smiley29.gif]

Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
June 2011 ROTM
Default RE: Hey there, virgin lookin for advice

im 6'3 and ride a 600. Its not too bad, but every now an again my leg will cramp up pretty bad. Im sure it looks retarded some big guy hanging his leg out side ways. oh well

Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Default RE: Hey there, virgin lookin for advice

Yeah I would have to agree with Steve, while I know quite a few guys who are 6' or better do ride 600's they usually have to modify themto make them comfy ie. new adjustable rear sets, bar risers.

I would actually try and find an older 1000f or even give the 1100XX Blackbird a try, it was kind of a heavy bike but it had plenty of power and it would fit someone of stature very well.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 AM

Wow thats some good info, I was looking towards a 600 because of being new to the sport, but if it doesn't fit, it is not going to give me a very good first impression of the sport.
So going with the 1000, is there much difference other then wieght a power. My buddy had both and prefered the 600 because of ability to play where the 1000 he said was more of a cruising/speed bike. I just don't want to get in over my head.lol
Thanks for the info and keep it coming, I have alot to learn.lol

Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM

welcome! im new haha like my third day. good choice with honda its all i would ever take. my advice is not to shop for the advice your given but shop for something affordable and that you look at and like. i had very little quading exp and went out and just bought a cbr 900rr and learned on that no problem. im about 5'11 200lbs but keep in mind everyone goes down at least once.. so dont wait till you got your dream bike to wreck (like me). start out with a learning bike and once you got the feel and your comfortable look into what else is out there.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

im round 6'1 235 and i started on a 95 f3 and never really had any problems, by nature no sportsbike is going to be like sitting on the couch at home (thats what tourers and cruisers are for) but there was nothing that was unbearable.... other than seeing pictures of my big a$$ on the little bike hahah

but i would definitly suggest an older bike to learn on just incase it takes a spill.... or you decide the sport is not for you than you wont be out a ton of cash... then after a summer or a year you can move up for something newer and sexier

Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 PM

6'2'' 6'3'' 250 and i have a 2001 600 f4i and i think its really nice i rode my friends vfr800 but i think mine is more comfortable

i dont know if i over looked it but where are you from growing up on sleds?
Arctic Cat boy from mi here

Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 AM

Keep it comin, I have alot to learn.lol
Also, someone told me that the F4i would be a good choice.
Could anyone shed some light on this for me. Good or bad!
Whats the difference between the F4i and the RR?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Congrats on deciding on a sport bike. I have had a cruiser and bmw1200rs sport touring and a sv650s. I am looking also at a honda. By buddy has a cbr1100xx and loves it. It is a sport touring bike but just barely. Thing is way fast enough in a straight line, does well in the curves. It is a bit cheaper on insurance as well being a sport touring. I am trying to decide between a 600 and 1000 myself. What I consider more important than which bike is get gear and use it. Also consider spending the $$ for some good instruction. Kieth Codes has a excellent school that travels the country. I took his level 1 and 2 over a weekend. This was well worth the $$ for the amount I learned and it was a blast. At the end of the weekend I was dragging my knees. Will go againsoon I hope. but get the grear it could save ur life.

Quick Reply: Hey there, virgin lookin for advice