New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey Howzit 🤙

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Howzit 🤙

Just wanted to drop by say hi. New to forums, although most of my info digging lands me here anyways so might as well join in the convo. Lot more info in the spoken word rather than the videos I feel.

I have a few projects in the works and the one currently is a 97 cbr 600f3 (a) she was on her way to the dump when she caught my eye. So I took some screenshots and photos of the process I’d like to share to the group possibly help a few out and maybe get some advice along the way

Old 02-26-2023, 05:25 AM
Welcome crew
Received 318 Likes on 296 Posts

Welcome to the forum, glad you decide to join. There are some really knowledgeable folks on here so ask away...

Lets see some pics of your process, we love pics.

I spent a few weeks on the 'big island' what a fantastic place and managed to tick of one of the things on my bucket list...

Yep, that's me on the left of the pic....

She was a beauty

The following users liked this post:
Honestdayzpay (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 12:16 PM

Right on brother! I appreciate the welcome. Big island still kinda wild lol but looks like you made the most of it for sure. They’re having some lava flow these past few weeks so we’re getting a lot of that Vog. But It’s pretty cheap for us to fly other islands(RT 60$)so I try to go few times a year. Kauai my personal favorite, all green everywhere. Awesome pics too btw.. definitely someone’s aumakua 🤣

Old 02-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Old 02-27-2023, 12:35 PM

So I’ll try posting in a somewhat chronological order. But I wanted to go thru the entire process of how I got her and brought her back.

I found a post on Craigs lol
and I’m never that lucky..
the guy I picked them up from buys storage units in his spare time and flips the stuff. Apparently the locker was owned and forgotten by a military person who left island.
So I took a Chevy Colorado (and a few metic tools) to go scoop them up. Thankfully the guy had a forklift and help me load all three in the back. I did take off the exhausts and the foot pegs I could.

I love tinkering so I thought worst case I scoop these, do the research and hopefully I’m not sitting on stolen bikes. So I did pay to have the Vins ran thru the national database for a few dollars. I also heard legends of cops actually coming out to assist and running vins for people but not here lol.
I ended up going to the city hall and giving the lady the photos I took of the serial numbers on the frame and engine and along with the papers I printed from the database search.

Everything came back clean! So I’m stoked

Old 02-27-2023, 12:40 PM
Old 02-27-2023, 01:21 PM

All in all was 4 bikes that we loaded.
97 cbr600f3 13,xxx m
01 fzr100
99 gsxr
pos Chinese dirt bike

I had to drag each out the back by myself tho, a nightmare.(No need ramps😅&#128530Tires still had little air but resting the frames on my shoulder while I drag out the front wheels ripped my skin. But hey free parts!

out of all the bikes the f3 was in the best shape, and got even better during the preliminary tear down. Took a list of the parts I could see it needed. (I do collision estimates for a small but crazy busy shop btw)
so the obvious would be all fluids, battery, clutch lever, seat, gas cap, key, chain has seized links, rear blinkers and fairings.
So right off rip round 1k+
With plenty room for any supplementals. To get back to square. Less if I wanted a fighter.
no detachable sub frame on this but the frame looked straight enough,sprockets get plenty meat still yet, clips ons looked decent enough, I’m able to get clean rotation on throttle side. Fork seals still look good, no leaking or streaks when do a whoops section style test lol no bottoming out either.

Last edited by Honestdayzpay; 02-27-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 04:11 PM
Default Tear down

Not much space round here, I do have a semi covered flat surface 7’x3.5-4’ also used a shower curtain overhead for block the rain

Noticed the fender with tag holder was cut off already.

Inside looked in good shape

Some rust flakes and some foreign chunk of metal

Came with a two Brothers exhaust

Beside the filter crumble the air box looked great

The bullet tabs that go into rubber mounts on the front stay are snapped off, I still have the tabs so may be repairable.

Pretty much all the foam is rubbish already

Tried charging but was pretty much shot.

Fuel filter looked clean enough but found plenty junk in it later

Noticed the fuel pump right off was junk, those 15$ Amazon ones. I love Amazon but definitely go oem for things like that.

The following users liked this post:
Al1040 (02-28-2023)