New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey everyone.Looking to get a 600.questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey everyone.Looking to get a 600.questions

Hey every im new to this site just joined. the reason i joined is because ofthe fact my parents just told me yesterday that as long as my grades remain good, i can get my motorcycle license. Now i was wondering everyones opionon on the bike that i want. i know everyones most likely going to have good things to say about it but the 600rr. This is the bike i want. i will have around 8grand to spend once summer comes along(put some of the money towards a yosh exhaust hopefully) here is where my problem comes in. Now i really dont want something smaller then a 600. and its kind of split on what people have to say about it towards me so far. some say get a 250 a 600 is way to fast others say a 600 is a good size and i will be happy with that. what is all of your opinions? im just trying to get as much imput as possible before i do buy it so i can do my research. ive already been doing a ton on the 600rr. Now alot of people say for my first bike dont get one so large.ill kill myself.and so on and so fourth. well ive been riding dirtbikes and 4wheelers and snowmobiles for some good time now and im comfortable on them. i have also drove one of my friends bikes. so its not like ive never ridin before or anything. but i just want some imput on if a 600 would be right for me. thanks for the help.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey there :-)

Welcome to the forums!!

I am afraid it is the age old question again of what is right for YOU!!

A general rule is to start smaller and work your way up, I did ... I went 250, 400, 500 and then 600 ... it's true the 600 has a lot of power and can be a handful if you are not used to bikes and don't have much affinity for riding but, if you are competent a modern 600 is very easy to ride and at low revs they are very manageable and won't bite you.

That said, go into a bend and grab a handful of throttle at 7000 - 8000 rpm in the powerband and you are asking for trouble ... how much self control do you have?? ..do you feel you will be sensible and get used to the bike first, gradually opening it up as your confidence level increases and only in the right places ... or are you just going to get on it and say "gee whizz this is the chit" and go for it!! ..only you can answer but if you are sensible and know you own limitations the 600RR is a fine bike and will be easy for you to ride :-)

Good luck and be safe!! :-)

Jules

Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juliet
hey there :-)

Welcome to the forums!!

I am afraid it is the age old question again of what is right for YOU!!

A general rule is to start smaller and work your way up, I did ... I went 250, 400, 500 and then 600 ... it's true the 600 has a lot of power and can be a handful if you are not used to bikes and don't have much affinity for riding but, if you are competent a modern 600 is very easy to ride and at low revs they are very manageable and won't bite you.

That said, go into a bend and grab a handful of throttle at 7000 - 8000 rpm in the powerband and you are asking for trouble ... how much self control do you have?? ..do you feel you will be sensible and get used to the bike first, gradually opening it up as your confidence level increases and only in the right places ... or are you just going to get on it and say "gee whizz this is the chit" and go for it!! ..only you can answer but if you are sensible and know you own limitations the 600RR is a fine bike and will be easy for you to ride :-)

Good luck and be safe!! :-)

Jules

+1 Jules. You can start out on any bike that you want. You're brain and wrist on your right arm are what's going to keep you alive no matter what you ride.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Default thanks

hey thanks for both of your imput i appreciate the help. I'm going to go along with my plan for getting a 600. I would love to be able to get a 600rr graffiti but im going to have to start working more hours per week then lol. But i do believe that i would have enough self control for it. Also im going to take a motorcycle saftey course because thats the first thing my mom told me i would have to do when i asked if i could get my temps(which now i can just get my license instead) and i also think its going to be very benifical for me. My dad also told me that he was going to teach me some things before i start to go out by myself. hes been riding since he was 18 and has had people pull out in front of him and he has gone down twice from it so he said he is going to teach me to be more aware and how to avoid an accident the best way possible and so on. also this is now causing him to want to buy a bike(he hasnt had one for a few years now) he already told me i wouldnt be able to ride it this summer atleast cause he is getting a 1000 at the minimal he said. but i really appreciate your help oh and also jules, i read your post on countersteering and found it very helpful. i read through that whole thread thats a very good post thanks for that info. anyways you will probably see me around the forums more often asking questions and what not. for i want to get as educated as possible before i get my bike. thanks again

Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM

I started out with a 650 p-twin standard bike and at the time it was a bit more than i could handle. I'm a small guy and i'd been riding dirtbikes all my life so i was confident that a ~600cc bike would be no problem, but after a couple drops, i learned some self control and moved on to the cbr.

But like Juliet said, its all about what you want and what you feel is best for you. Just keep in mind, if you rock a 250 for a while, prepare to get made fun of by people. Some people in the community are like middle schoolers about that that kind of stuff.

But whatever you decide, i'm sure it will be great for you and i hope everything works out well.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 PM

I started out with a Ninja 250... Now when i ride on my 600 with my friends, i can tell i have much more control than them. They were the ones that never read any riding books & they went out and bought a big bike on a credit-card and thought they are "real riders". My opinion is start small & go bigger.. But its up to you. Good luck & be safe out there!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 PM

so your like 18 then? your gonna want atleast a 600 but if you never had a bike maybe barrow a smaller bike to learn on.. if you buy a 250 you will get board of it forsure.. im 18 and i had a KZ400 that toped out at like 65 and i got board fast... i might be just me but there are two reasons to owning a bike as a teenager, going fast and looking sexy that would be hard on a 250... get the 600 but becarefull.. i wrecked after have my bike for a week.. with motorcycles its not "if" its when and how hard you will go down...

Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Default .

yea so i think im going to get a 600. i dont want to buy a 250 then end up selling it/wanting a 600 by end of summer. i know thats what would happen. here is a quick question tho. the 600rr graffiti. how much would this run me? i havnt been able to find any used or any info on how much they would roughly be used. im hoping to get lucky to find one im constantly looking but i do have an estimate of how much it will be in my head im just not sure how close i am. thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 AM

not sure about the 600rr.. how much are you looking to spend? i have a 2000 f4 and i got it for $2900 and i love it... maybe get a cheaper 600.. becase you will lay it down at least once. and dont be a dumbass like me and say it wont cuz it will... get a f4i or something then put some money into you will will love it.. or sell it and get 1000 later in life.. maybe its me but i dont go above 165 much so im fine with my 600

Old 03-13-2009, 05:18 PM

not totally sure about the newer 600rr's, but if its in decent condition and from a private seller, look at paying prolly around 6k+ from what i've seen on craigslist. I have a 99 600 f4 that i picked up for $2200 a couple weeks ago and its great. plenty fast, looks/runs great and a great price. for your first bike you may want to think about getting an older bike, like a mid-late 90's cbr 600 f2/3/4. if in good condition they're still plenty fast and have better looks imo than most other bikes of those years, and if/when you wreck it, its alot better to trash a $1500 bike then a $6k bike. Then when you get used to it you can sell it, make your money back, then buy a newer one.

Quick Reply: Hey everyone.Looking to get a 600.questions