New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Everyone!

Hi people!

I'm not a new rider but I recently bought a 2002 Honda CBR600 F4i and it's giving me some serous problems! This could be a good introduction as to why I'm posting it here (couldn't post it on F4i thread) and why I bought a 2002 model.

First, I got it cheap.
Second, I wanted to learn how to take care of motorcycles on my own as much as possible! (My first step was when the dealership quoted me 130$ for installing a 12v cigarette lighter for GPS power supply for my cruiser).

So, It was pretty beat up but I'm facing an issue I have no idea what's up.

It's always the same. I turn the key switch ON it does the RPM roll, turn the killswitch ON the "eeeee" fuel pumping sound and then press the electric starter it goes "tick tick tick tick" but no sound of ignition, does that make sense?

Soon afterwards, the display starts going out, eventually the ticking goes out too and then altogether nothing happens. Only FI light is on, neutral N light is gone too.

I charged the battery up afterwards and it worked fine for two weeks.

Weirdest thing of all is, if I go after a day and turn the key ON it does the startup routine perfectly and I pressed the horn to see if my battery's dead but the horn was sharp and loud as it should be and then it just goes into being dead and gives like a dum dum sound.

I just need someone to give me suggestions as to what might be wrong with it. I'm highly determined to fix this by myself with your guys help.

Thanks!

Sagar!

Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Saga,

And thanks for the introduction - it's always good to see new members!

Now in looking for a solution to your problem, post your questions up in the CBR600 F4i section, as not all members read the 'new member' threads.

Best of luck finding a solution to your problem.

Cheers, SB

Old 10-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-17-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi and welcome I'm new here as well
That definitely sounds an electrical problem. Have you tested the battery yet? (Start with the easy and obvious)

Old 10-20-2016, 04:04 AM
Welcome Crew

hello and welcome, charge the battery then test the voltage with out the bike running, then do the same check after a couple of days. just to see if the battery is holding charge, then post up again and someone will guide you through the process of checking the charging side of things

Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 AM

Thanks a lot wheelnut

Old 10-21-2016, 04:11 AM

wheelnut! I think I figured out what's the problem! So, it's been a few days and I've been really busy! So I put the battery back to charging (was sitting on my table for a couple of days), so it should be fully charged right? because that's how I left it but no, the level has dropped to less than 80%! I guess the battery's not holding charge right?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:32 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

There's more to the battery than just voltage. Does the battery seem swollen? Is one of the sides bulging out at all? That's indicative of a bad cell and could cause the starting issues. You can charge a battery as long as you want, but if it doesn't have the amperage to turn the starter - it's not going to work

Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old batteries sulfate. That deposits drop to the bottom of the battery shorting out cells.

Maybe a new battery would help.

Welcome to the forum.