New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hey All!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey All!

I'm Thanh,

Just found this forum, I am kind of a car guy, coming over from is300.net, I picked up a '91 cbr600f2 from my then to be brother in law a couple years ago. It had been sitting for over a year (his headlight went out, he thought it was the harness) got engaged and his fiance disallowed him from riding it. He went on to get married and bought a Harley. He had purchased it new and rode it everywhere, across the US to having it shipped over to Europe (he was military) and has some cool pics of it in front of European landmarks, the bike had over 40k miles. It had been lowsided once and kicked over after an failed theft attempt, so it wasn't pristine but it wasn't trashed by any means. He had installed an aftermarket rear shock, adjusted the front with spacers (iirc) two brothers carbon fiber full exhaust system, k&n air filter, lockhart phillips red tinted windscreen and lockhart phillips tank bra.

He sold it to me for $700, I bought a new battery, resoldered the headlight wire, changed the oil and radiator fluid (with help from another cbr forum and a honda service manual) got my permit and rode it a handful of times and then it sat while I went through some personal, financial and health (back) issues.

Anyway, I got rid of his sister, kept the bike and now am in better health and have time and renewed interest. I had been trying to keep her running or at least ready to run, but had some issues with the petcock (so I thought) and dirty carbs. Anyhow, I finally got her back together and running, but I still need a few more things before I can ride.

Was at cyclegear to pick up a battery for my friend's suzuki and they had a special on bridgestones so I picked up a set of bt014s for $196ish installed, so I had to order some t-rex stands to get the wheels off, which means I might as well get new brake pads/ss lines, new chain and sprockets so I'll have to find some good deals on those.

I'll need to at least change the fork oil too.

Of course I have no plans of taking the bike out until I have all my gear (helmet, jacket, gloves and pants I had purchased a little after I got the bike, and I just found some great deals on some boots and also bought a pair of riding jeans- thanks to the links in your gear forum) and taken the MSF and gotten my license and insurance. From my road experience in my cage I simply do not trust other drivers, if they can't see my blue car with HIDs on...

Long story short; I've owned a bike for over 2 years and am still a newbie.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Default RE: Hey All!

Great introduction.

How about posting up some pics of your bike so we can all enjoy!

Loved the line about you got rid of his sister, but kept the bike!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 PM

here's a recent pic, after getting her back together, i forgot to screw the under panels before taking the pics[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the site!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 PM

Hell, sounds like you got itcoverd better than most, I think we'll give you a promotion to noob 1st class I have a 93 f-2 [8D]

Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 AM

thanks for the warm welcome guys

noob 1st class? sweet, does that mean i get to use someone else's toothbrush to clean the floor?

got back from rosarito bike fest and my t-rex stands were waiting for me, sweet!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:33 AM

a HARDLYMOVINSON? WHAT WAS HE THINKING? at least you made the right decision, ditch her and keep the bike!! lol. riding jeans? cmon now. do you really believe that crap? they are jeans with more pockets in em and say "ICON" or whatever on em. ill be damned if i pay $100 bucks for some jeans!! lol. boots? you dont need them unless you are planning on racing or something. waste of money! new pads, lines, chain and sprockets? do they need replaced? if not, dont WASTE the money!! not bein a d*ck or anything but it sounds like you are buying too much into the "idea" of being a rider. also sounds like you have more money than you know what to do with. i am poor and accepting donations. lol. good deal on the bike, congratulations and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 PM

no idea what he's thinking about the harley, he's a bit older, maybe that's it?

the tires have been sitting for years now (we're talking over 4), ditto the chain, it's rusted, i read you should replace the sprockets at the same time, the brake pads- her bro told me they needed to be changed when he sold it to me, lines are rubber, have been sitting for years as well, and i figure it's cheap insurance.

the jeans cost me $60 shipped brand new. the boots cost me $130 shipped brand new (oxtar tcs sport) they just came in today actually (local msf class requires leather boots that come up past the ankle to take the class)

i've got a hard enough time as it is with my back, i don't need a crushed ankle or skin grafts too.

besides... if i had money i'd already have all those things instead of finding deals along the way. i just know that the ppl around here drive very poorly and i'd rather take the steps to be as protected as i can- not like i'm buying the most expensive flashy look at me gear just to say i have it.

maybe i am over worrying/preparing, it's ok to laugh