New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hey Ive been riding bikes since I was 11. I started off with a NSR 150 2 stroke bike, It flew, And I then moved up to a CBR 400. All of this was overseas, Ive since moved back to the states and I want to buy a bike, ive been looking at some older CBR's for sale and ive found a 92 that seems that It could be a decent buy. Its a bike that doesnt have the fairings on it but they are available and the owner said, "the 92 has rebuilt carbs new tires New throttle cables new spark plugs battery needs fairings and speed odometer. Needs new battery but starts right up when u jump it." I was wondering if this would be a good first bike to have that I would have to fix up? (overseas I had a mechanic do everything since it was soo cheap, I got my 150 engine rebuilt for less then a 100 bucks) Anyways Ive never really fixed a bike before but im pretty good with my hands And i figured this might be a good deal but I dont know what I have to look out for or what concerns anyone has with me buying this bike

Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you feel confident that you can repair that bike, without putting more cash into it than it's worth? Only YOU know the answer.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just depends on what you're willing to pay, and what the real condition of the mechanicals are.

I almost get a red flag from someone that has spend a little bit of coin on a fresh tuneup and parts like throttle cables, then is selling it.

but if you're getting it insanely cheap, might be worth the elbow grease.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM

After talking to the owner of the bike he said that he can install everything and put the fairing back on for me. I still dont know if I want to buy a 20 year old bike, it has 33,000 miles on it also, What should I look out for when I go to look at it?

The owner also said that last year he got new tires last year, the carbs rebuilt the forks redone new cables, He says he spent close to 1,300 last year fixing it up and has the receits to prove it. He says that there arnt any gauges and he said that it was used as a street fighter and has been laid down several times However it has a clean title

Last edited by 74demon; 05-21-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: merge posts
Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Rowey,

Armed with a workshop manual, some good tools, common sense, patience and the people on this forum............most people can do anything.

That being said do you WANT to rebuild a bike? I do because I love putting them together to make the inanimate animate

I also look for the cheapest bikes with the least to do.

Cheers, SB

Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Default More Info

So I've been in contact with the owner of the bike and it seems as though the bike has around 33,000 miles on the bike. the Owners not sure since he doesnt have any of the gauges, Another thing is he said he spent around 1,300 last year getting new tires carb work done new cables, Forks redone new clutch, He also said the Gas tank was beat in since it was used as a street fighter. However the tank is still good. It has been laid down several times, However it has a clean title and it has a strong motor. The bikes frame is straight but there is some rust on it.
I want to give it a street fighter look so I figured that I wouldn't need the full fairing anyways but I want a bike that I can put a bit of work up front but then know it will run well for several years without any problems and only the normal scheduled stuff.
Im a bit scared of buying it since its a 20 year old bike But I know that honda motors last forever, What do you guys think and what do you feel would be a fair price for the bike.
Also what should I be thinking for the cost of a paint job? Im thinking Black or something just one color.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

it just depends on how good mechanically the bike is.... you have to see it and hear it run in person to decide...

welcome to the forum though!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM

What would be a good price to offer for this bike? He was asking for 1200 but I dont know what is reasonable

Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome

if your uncertain, take a while to look about at other bikes at that price to see whats available