New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

helmets......

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmets......

Hi everyone, I am a newbie and just bought a 95 cbr 600 in april 07.it came with a white helmet which fits but does not match. SO I understand D.O.T. approved and snell somewhat but what is the differance between a 700.00 and a 150.00 helmet. I know SUOMY, SHOEI makes a fancy airbrush for 600.00 but thats not what I want . I have looked into thh, fulmer ect. and found nice graphix for my preferance. I obviously do not want a 60.00 helmet that does not protect me in a fall. I am not just being cheap but I would just like to know If 350.00 +$$$ is for the name brand. I am clueless so if any one could help me that would be cool. I just don't want to go to the local cycle shop so a sales men can tell me 700.00 will save my life.and 130.00 is crap.I just don't want pressure, just my own taste in helmets so it goes with my bike. thanks for your input

Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: helmets......

Go for wot feels comfortable, asking about helmets is like wot undies you wear? everyone has their own preferences. I have a Nolan (flip model, good if you wear glasses to) & another cheaper one (also flip model) for around town use, (as I sometimes leave it with the bike, I'm not going to be to shattered if its nicked) Both helemts suit, but there is a reasonable price difference between the two. Lot lids have special graphics on them, which can add to the cost. look for features that are usefull, like vents & so on. Buy a brand that is known, in case you need to replace the visor or something.
You don't have to spend a fortune on one. But you don't want to end up with a piece of crap either, like they say, its your head...........

Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

I paid $350 for my Shoei RF1000 camber (graphics)last year. Look at the 'Helmet shop' in Daytona. The solid colors were even less.

Good luck.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM

How much is your brain worth....alot of times the more expensive lids have an amzing fittment along with incredible graphics..Arai is pricey but fits well.But Suomy and Shoei are the bees knees...

Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 AM

You know, it'snice to see someones first post being a helmet question. Your priorities seem to be more in line than some people around here!

IMO, once you get into the $350+ range for helmets - the difference is mostly (not totally)name and graphics. I was very satisfied with my Icon Mainframe ($280 retailI believe, 200 on eBay) with the exception that the ventilation was not the greatest. I now have an HJC AC-12Elbowz ($350 +/-)and I absolutely love it. Better venting, lighter weight and my buddy crash tested his so I know it can take a beating and still protect my melon!

If you're looking in the $350 range I would highly recommend the AC-12 carbon line (there are 3 options: plain, Vader and Elbowz). If you can't find them in the $300-350 range, PM and I'll give you some more info.

Hope this helps - good luck on your search.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 AM

No matter what others say on here but if a helmet is dot/snell certified then it has gone through testing to get that. Make sure that you get a helmet that fits properly but a $350 helmet is not much better than a $60 helmet. They all protect your head if they are dot/snell rated because if they were not then the manufacture would be open to a law suit.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 PM

I agree, their was a test done not to long ago in one of the magazines and the cheaper helmets actually rated better in the test than the expensive ones. The only thing I have really noticed with the more expensive helmets is softer materail on the interior pads, better fit, and a few db's quieter, and they are lighter. HJC and KBC make great cheap helmets, if price is an issue look at those two.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM

^^ Thatis true, tests are tests... and if a helmet passes then it deserves the rating. The more expensive helmets DO offer better features though (as I outlined before). Most people here will recommend buying the most expensive helmet you can afford... I (personally) wouldn't argue with that.

And I am not trying to start anything here, just asking an honest question: Just because they meet DOT and Snell testing, does that mean that somedon't exceed the requirements of the tests? Compare it to fuel economy laws/req's: A car can satisfy the requirements by having the minimum allowable miles per gallon. But there are some that go above and beyond to offer better mileage/emissions/etc. Wouldn't you want one that offers more,better or safer options?

There's a lot of reading out there if you want to get into comparing test results of different helmets - I don'tknow where the article is off-hand, but maybe someone else can help abit more.

Here it is: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

Old 05-23-2007, 03:06 PM

hey for helmets i just bought a zox helmet, really nice great air flow really comfortable around 80 bucks well worth it, low wind noise check out www.zoxhelmets.com

Old 05-23-2007, 04:51 PM

WOW... thanks for theinfo guys. you have all been a help. I did not expect so many replies!I will take that in consideration in my new purchase.

Quick Reply: helmets......