New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello from Portland

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Portland

Hi. Just bought my first bike, a cbr f2 '91. It needs a little fixing up, but that's pretty much why I bought it. It runs and sounds wonderful and I am excited to fix it up and putt putt around town. I'm a wuss, so I probably won't be one of those kids who races around. Just mainly want a bike to go to school, library, the river and other casual activities.

I have the ferrings, but I took them all off. It's not a very pretty bike but it's more than what I want.
Name:  P1000281.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  139.9 KB
Name:  P1000282.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  132.9 KB
Name:  P1000283.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  138.2 KB

This will be a garage project. I've been lurking around the forums, so I feel I have a good grasp on what I need to do to prepare myself for the rigors of bike riding. But other than taking a motorcycle safety class and familiarizing myself with the bike on a fairly vacant road until I'm more comfortable and then taking it easy with it at first this is what needs fixing on the bike:

- front shocks are shot
- gas cap use to lock, but the key was lost and the previous owner popped it off with a screw driver, hence the safeway bag duck tapped to it. I don't think the bag is necessary as the cap still closes but I've just never gotten around to taking it off.
- swing arm is bent slightly. Someone forgot left the rear caliper out an then tightened everything down really good. So actually it's not a slight bend, it's a pretty severe bend.
- might need to replace the chain. At first I thought it was stretched but then I found the swing arm bend so now I'm not so sure until I get a new swing arm.
- small oil leak I need to find and fix
- rewire the front blinkers, looks like the previous owner just snipped them off with some wire cutters. =/
- replace rear break pads

So most if not all of it I can easily fix on my own.

I would like to thank you all in advance the helpful information you might provide and will graciously accept it like a hungry man accepts food.

Have a good day!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey there and welcome to CBRF!! :-)

It looks like you have a nice wee project there and the F2 is a good bike so worth restoring,
if you fancy a read there is an F2 review here...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/cbr600f2-super-review-cbr-comes-age-96801/

Good luck with it all and let us all know how it goes :-)

Take care and always ride within your own limits

Jules

Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome to CBRF. Looks like you got your hands full there. Please don't forget to change all the fluids. I like the fairings all white with the checkered flag look. Here are some great threads on the F2. Ride Safe Don't for get that a MSF is a good Idea too. opps you said you were going to take it.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Welcome to CBRF Frogman!! Congrats on the F2. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I just had mine in pieces in the garage too. Unlike women, F2s are not very pretty with their clothes off, are they?

Good luck fixing her up and be sure to swing by the F2 Section with any questions you may have, or problems you run into on your way to nursing her back to health.

Enjoy the forums

Last edited by eweppley; 04-15-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Funny thing is, I feel so uncomfortable actually going to a motorcycle repair shop and asking questions cause I don't know a lot but on line I can feel moderately knowledgeable (as in: knowing what your talking about) cause I got google at my fingertips and an online thesaurus to beef up my vocabulary.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Yes, I know what you mean ... I am a completely dumb blonde, mostly ... but in text I got me time to think so I appear less dumb ..lol

Jules

Old 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Yes, I know what you mean ... I am a completely dumb blonde, mostly ... but in text I got me time to think so I appear less dumb ..lol

Jules