CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Hello from Chicago w/ pics! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/hello-chicago-w-pics-143158/)

singram 11-13-2012 01:54 PM

Hello from Chicago w/ pics!

7 Attachment(s)
Been lurking on here for some time and now have a reason to post. About 3 weeks ago, I became the proud owner of of an absolutely MINT 2002 F4i. I had 3 other F4i's and an SV1k to look at. This bike was the first, and last I looked at. For 3200 in pristine condition with 19700 miles I couldn't turn it down. Bone stock, only mods being a Delkevic oval mini slip-on, flushmounts and c/f wannabe aftermarket mirrors.

Coming from years of 90s rebuild project sportbikes(currently a 93 Kawi ZX6E), this bike is a pure luxury to ride. Controls and handling are butter smooth. Fuel injection:icon_drool: My wife is not 100% happy with the seating comfort, and lack of grab bar(at 4'11 with matching arms, reaching the tank to brace for braking is not an option), but hopefully we can find a work around as we plan on alot of 2-up sport-touring next summer.

I have to say though, I was a little disappointed and concerned after reading an earlier post and finding out that my fairings are aftermarket(PGM-FI under the F4i logo). I'm a little confused why though since there isnt a single scuff or scratch ANYWHERE on the bike indicating that it went down. The bike rides and tracks perfect-

Attachment 35534Attachment 35535Attachment 35536Attachment 35537Attachment 35538

Next spring, that hideous fender will be replaced with an undertail. I couldnt resist a quick mod of my own in the mean time:p

Attachment 35539Attachment 35540

gotcbr 11-13-2012 02:03 PM

Welcome to CBRF!

Great looking bike! I have the Red Bull "mod" as well. ;-)

Don't sweat the aftermarket fairings. Most likely just the side fairings are replacements. The PO could've simply replaced them from the bike being tipped over, etc. It doesn't always take a crash to feel the need to replace parts/fairings.

The pipe/can looks like a Yoshi Tri Oval CF but there aren't any visible markings.

Good to have you w/ us.

74demon 11-13-2012 02:13 PM

Congrats on your first post....(and the new bike :))
Hopefully we see more of you around now that you have a bike! There is lots to see and do here besides repair questions. Come visit the picture challenge thread and help us get some challenges done.

MeatHelmet1981 11-13-2012 02:16 PM

I swear you guys 'across the pond' get the better colour (sorry, color)schemes for your bikes. Ive never seen one like that over here. It looks awesome.

Very nice.

singram 11-13-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr (Post 1202218)
Welcome to CBRF!

Great looking bike! I have the Red Bull "mod" as well. ;-)

Don't sweat the aftermarket fairings. Most likely just the side fairings are replacements. The PO could've simply replaced them from the bike being tipped over, etc. It doesn't always take a crash to feel the need to replace parts/fairings.

The pipe/can looks like a Yoshi Tri Oval CF but there aren't any visible markings.

Good to have you w/ us.

Thanks! The pipe is definitely a Delkevic. I recently figured out how to remove the baffle. I think I'll leave it out for the time being:p Moderately loud in the higher rpms, but not so much as to p/o the neighbors when leaving/arriving in the lowers.

I have to say, though this color combo was probably my least favorite F4i scheme, its really starting to grow on me. Yeah, I'm really loving this bike.

gotcbr 11-13-2012 02:23 PM

You could easily change the color scheme to black wings on silver by replacing the lower fairings & putting on black tank decals. Just pointing out the option for you. In fact, sans the tank, you can change the entire look altogether w/ completely dif fairing kits but you'd have to paint or wrap the tank.

singram 11-13-2012 02:24 PM

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the welcomes/compliments guys. I wish my replies didnt have to get reviewed before they're visible, but I probably have to build a post count first.

Hopefully we see more of you around now that you have a bike!
Oh, its been along time since I've been without a bike. This is just my first modern(ish) one.:D

gotcbr 11-13-2012 02:25 PM

Yep, you'll be in moderation til your acct is fully approved. No worries...keep posting. It won't take long. ;-)

singram 11-13-2012 02:28 PM

You could easily change the color scheme to black wings on silver by replacing the lower fairings & putting on black tank decals. Just pointing out the option for you.
Nooooo. Thanks, but the brilliant red really sets it off. Silver/red was one of my least favorite schemes(favorites being red/black, blue/black, and yellow/black in that order), but it's really starting to grow on me.

gotcbr 11-13-2012 02:33 PM

Yeah, the red on silver really is eye-catching.

Honda silver really is a nice color.

Shueisha 11-13-2012 04:30 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Very clean bike, you got a steal at that price given the slip-on. For the seat you can change it to a banana one if im not mistaken this should come with a grab bar too. Well you can do banana to split seat so I cannot see why it wouldn't work it reverse.

Gotcbr, you have any idea on this fella?

gotcbr 11-13-2012 04:38 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would want to change from split seat to banana banana seat. ;-)

All j/k aside, yeah, its easy to swap subframe tail assemblies on the F4/F4i. OP, if that's something you want to consider doing, its very easy.

singram 11-13-2012 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually believe it or not, I am very interested in at least looking into a banana seat conversion. Then again with a different subframe, I'm guessing different rear fairing, requiring new paint, and... I dont mind either way myself, but I foresee my wife having issues with the split seat/no grab bar. I'm hoping its something she'll grow into, as we do alot of 2-up sport touring. She's spoiled by this, I think-

Attachment 35533
Compared to the F4i, the ZX6E is like floating around in a big ass Caddy.:)

74demon 11-13-2012 06:57 PM

Has your wife considered getting off the back and getting her own bike?

gotcbr 11-13-2012 07:04 PM

IF you wanted to do a banana seat conversion, you'll need the following; '99-00 or '04-06 F4i subframe, battery tray, tail light, tail plastic, rear pegs, & banana seat. Reuse the hardware.

You can refer to my split-seat tutorial (see my sig-line) & just imagine it in reverse. ;-)

Its really easy to swap these assemblies. They are basically bolt up.

singram 11-13-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1202262)
Has your wife considered getting off the back and getting her own bike?

Yep. 3yrs ago she took the MSF(twice) and got her endorsement. We then got her a Buell Blast to learn on. 1 month and a half dozen low speed drops later we decided it would be best to sell the bike. She never even made it onto any major roads. Just an absolute ball of nerves. Suffice it to say that not everyone is made to ride, and unfortunately I think she's one of 'em.

I do feel bad for her,(I could imagine how it must feel to have to sell your bike), and every now and then ask her if she'll ever try again. But I'm very careful with that. I couldn't talking her into something and she end up getting hurt or worse. She's content as a passenger for now.

singram 11-13-2012 07:44 PM

Wow, your right. Thinking more on this I did a quick Google search-

http://image.superstreetbike.com/f/f...er_slip_on.jpg

Now I just need to find a Yoshimura badge:D

Turbulenz 11-13-2012 08:36 PM

Banana seat FTW! LOL!

You could easily sell your split seat setup but there are quite a few parts needed to swap it..love the silver and red too.. Welcome!

singram 11-13-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz (Post 1202277)
Banana seat FTW! LOL!

You could easily sell your split seat setup but there are quite a few parts needed to swap it..love the silver and red too.. Welcome!

Thanks. Thinking more on this, I suppose I could just find someone with a red/black 2nd gen. F4i who wants a split seat and swap subframe, plastics, seat and hardware in one shot. I could see red plastics for my rear.

rcncbr 11-13-2012 10:54 PM

If only yours was yellow or black, I would have did the full switch with you.