New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello from Central Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Central Florida!

I just picked up a sweet 2006 F4i last week as my first bike. Taking the MSF course next week and already bought my gear (perforated leather pants/jacket, RF1100 helmet, Long gloves, boots) after extensive research. It's a college town here and I'm wary of the idiots driving around. Any advice for people just starting out? (Read the stickies already).

Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah avoid the idiots , seriously , welcome to the Forum. Seems you have a good
handle and priorities relative to gear and taking the MSF. Ride safe man and enjoy the
forum.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello & welcome to CBRF!
Lots & lots of F4i riders here so visit the F4i forum if you have a question on anything
Be sure to post some pics of your sweet F4i as it is damn near mandatory for new members
Ride mega safe and enjoy the forum!

....and avoid the idiots out there!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM

As requested and thanks!!! Still reading..especially the discussion on front/rear brake useage...

Attached Thumbnails Hello from Central Florida!-new-toy-4.jpg   Hello from Central Florida!-new-toy-5.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dammit! Another new member with one of those sharp lookin' blue ones!!!!
I swear that the creator of the universe is just messin' with me....LOL..
Man, those things are sweet....

Welcome to the CBRF, man.

As far as tips for a new rider, here are a few:

1. Don't stare (fixate) on objects as it makes it dam near impossible to avoid hitting them. Always look for the escape route. If you don't believe me, try this little experiment:
Ride up on a manhole cover (even slowly) and watch it. While watching it, try to avoid it.
2. As far as you're concerned, everyone is trying to kill you. Scan constantly. You need to see as much as you can.... all the time. The buick pulling out of the alley, the kid riding his bike towards the crosswalk, the old lady trying to make a left turn in front of you while looking into the sun, etc.
3. Read as much as you can about braking. Look at your brakes as a rheostat, not an "on/off" switch. Be smooth. Practice braking in a straight line in a safe area to see the limits of your brakes. Your front is about 75% of your braking power, and many accidents actually result from UNDER use of the front brake because people think the front is gonna wash on them. If they had discovered the limits of their brakes beforehand they would have known better about how far to push them.
However, pushing them in a turn can be very bad. Traction is taken up by your lean, which only leaves so much traction left over for braking. Best idea is to lean more. It will seem scary the first few times, but you'll get better.
4. When sitting at stop signs and lights, ALWAYS give yourself an escape route and watch your mirrors. Bikes are much harder for cagers to see, and they may want to rear-end you. I also like to flash my brake lights if it looks like someone is coming up too fast.
5. Don't be ashamed of being safe, and don't try to impress anyone. It's your ***, man.
6. Don't forget your kickstand.
7. Never settle for the ugly chick. Honda riders don't roll like that.

Also, you'll learn a lot in the MSF. It's a great program.
I would also recommend this book: Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track
It's a really good book.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Oh yeah - these riders here will try and kill you - take your pick - you have the ghetto deuches with their dropped civics or samson and son pickups - you have the damn tourists - the old people migrating down from the villages - college punks on their phones and brainless girls doing their makeup before class - welcome to central florida. I'm right by the OIA and have a bunch of buddies who ride around here. Feel free to find me/email me and we'll go take off somewhere fun and try to get as much scenery as you can get around here.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue seems to be the new black! Another blue 06 F4i! Nice bike!

Howdy hey! Everyone's been hitting you with all the good stuff on tips. Something sometimes overlooked tho is something I posted a while back: Need to Ride vs Good Sense. If its not right, don't get on the bike.
  • Your bike has to be in good mechanical shape.
  • You must be in good physical shape
  • Your paperwork must be in order

The first 2 can cost you your life. All 3 can cost you your bike.

Rubber side down, both wheels. Especially in Florida

Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanks all for the excellent response and the welcomes!!! Is Blue not that popular or becoming rare?

Kur-> I actually READ that when I was first started looking around for bikes. Excellent post.

Kil -> Thanks for the pointers. Totally sums up what I need to keep in mind. The braking is more muscle memory and a cool head from not panicking. I'm going to have to get that book as well. I'm counting down the days until MSF and hitting the DMV to register and insure the bike. I'm also checking newenough.com and kneedraggers every day to see if my order shipped. Sigh. I hate waiting for fun stuff....or a paycheck. LOL.. Funny about the kick stand. I was dumb enough to sit there for 10 minutes wondering why my bike wouldn't start after trying to jump start it. Well, not dumb just a noob.

Freak-> I'm 2 hours north of you in Gainesville. I drive by Orlando at least once a month to S. Florida when I need a break from these people up here or when work beckons. Any good suggestions for stores down there or around here? I'm about ready to "mod" my bike: a cowl for the back seat and a HID conversion (the angel eyes look cool) with LEDs under the bike so that people can see me during dusk. I'd like to make it so it's not "Ghetto" and more "tasteful." Around here it's gotta be the motto "All the gear All the time."

Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 AM

The only places I go to on any sort of regular basis is Seminole Power Sports in Sanford FL, and Cycle Gear on Colonial near downtown orlando. Doesn't really mean any blows me away -- although the guys at Cycle Gear are generally more helpful than anywhere else.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey and welcome!! :-)

There is a full F4i review here if you fancy a read...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/honda-cbr600f-fs-f4i-super-review-106580/

I always ride like I am invisible and those that can see me are out to kill me
seriously it becomes second nature after a short while and also,
only ride within the limits you feel happy ... don't try and prove anything as
there's nothing to prove...

Take care and enjoy the forums!! :-)

Jules

Quick Reply: Hello from Central Florida!