New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hello all

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all

So I'm new to this forum but not new to riding. My street bike was an '89 CBR600. The original Hurricane. Loved that bike. Learned lots on it and got into some trouble with speed. Anyway I sold it for personal and financial reasons.

I had been wanting another bike for years. Finally talked my better half into letting me get another bike. At the time I was totally into the cafe racer style and it was right when it was getting big again or at least in my mind it was. Wasn't huge yet anyway. So I was able to get a '73 Yamaha TX500 for $450, probably paid a little too much for it considering it hadn't ran for many many years. Proof was that it still had the original tires and only ~4300 miles on her. Engine was frozen up but I was able to get it all working after way too long. But it runs pretty good now, just still trying to figure out the jetting perfect since I had to get new carbs on it.

My latest project and newest bike is a '92 CBR600F2. Picked it up for $500. Again, not running but that's the fun part. I think. It had F3 fairings on it and all zip tied on. Those are gone now as 1)they were all broken and 2)I was planning on getting new ones anyway.

On to the help if possible. Anyone know what size compression testing tip I need to test the compression. I tried the 10mm but it just doesn't want to thread in for some reason. I was told it needed a new head gasket but want to double check since I have read sometimes the oil cooler o-rings going bad will also put coolant into the oil. Tons of coolant in oil. Doesn't start at the moment either but one thing at a time.

Thanks for any help and I will get some pictures up soon.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
It would be best to post your coolant question in the 600F2 section. I am not familiar with the F2 engine but, I wouldn't think an o-ring would be the problem.
A compression test only tells you if the cylinder is leaking. You could have an oil to coolant leak in the head gasket and still have good compression.
My guess is taking it apart is the only way to tell. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:16 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

Good luck with your project.