New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

height an issue???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default height an issue???

Well, I have had an interest in bikes for about 2 years now and not really anyone I know really knew about it. So recently I got my permit and in mid april I'm taking the class. So I finally decided to tell my older cousin about all this stuff and he tells me, 'you can't hold up a bike, you're too short, you're gonna crash' and he told me a story about one of the girls he knows that lowered her bike, got her permit and took the class and crashed the first day she got on her bike...so will me being short be an issue? I'm about 5'2 120lbs, any opnions on this? Thanks for readin...

Old 03-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Default RE: height an issue???

hmm... im 5'6 130lbs and i have a little tiny trouble sometimes.

you know what they say you are probably NOT to tall/fat/skinny/short to ride.

my suggestion to you is to take the class and see how that goes, they have some really low bikes there that you will be able to flat foot. from there you can decide what you want to do

for a sport bike the seat height is about 31-34 inches, where say the honda rebelt used in the class is like 28inchs or so. but also the actually seat makes a difference. like my f4i and my co workers gsx-r is the same seat height but i can get more feet on the ground on his bike because of his narow seat

in terms of what you can do you can always shave your seat or lower your bike

so yea just take the class and dont worry to much

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Height isnt an issue, the bike holds itself up as long as you're going fast enough. Best thing to do is go ride one and see if you feel comfortable with it.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM

^^ yea but most bike drops are when you aren't moving or going very slow, in which it helps to be able to get both feet on the ground.

but ti all depends on your skills i have a co worker who is like a midget and his bike is taller than mines but he has no problems

Old 03-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really don't need to flat foot or even have both feet touching to balance a bike.
i can flat foot but i'm lazy so i usually just use the tip of my boot...or both tips and just kind of hang there.

abadfish is like 4' tall and he has no issues whatsoever.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM

I suppose it could be come an issue when cornering if you cant get your shoulders far enough over, but you only really need to do that when cornering at speed. But that's more of a weight issue...probably come hand in hand really!?

Old 03-30-2007, 04:10 PM

As a beginner its good to have at least both feet down.More experienced ridersit doesn't matter. I would go to a dealership and sit on a Ninja 250 and see if You can put both feet down flat. As for 600 bikes You can lower them down to about a stock 250 without too many issues. My wife is 5'5"and with riding boots she can sit flat footedon Her CBR.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:29 PM

I'm 5'6. Not much trouble here. Height can be an issue if you let it be.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the help guys...I guess he's just trying to scare me...I heard about lowering the bike and one of my friends can do it so we'll see how it goes

Old 03-31-2007, 01:08 AM

Dani Pedrosa, the Spanish MotoGP rider of team Repsol Honda, is 5'2" and weighs only 110 lbs.!

Quick Reply: height an issue???