New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Getting a bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a bike

Finally getting a bike. Took the MSF course last season, and finally getting a bike. I have a friend selling a 96 Honda Cbr F3 w/27,5000 miles. Starts up great, guy winterizes it and puts carb cleaner in the tank. Started right up and sounded great. Minor scratches but nothing really.He's selling it for $2,000 but KBB say's its worth 1700. Is 2000 fair? and is 27,500 alot of miles for this price range?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum !
If the going purchase price in the market is $1700 - that would be "top dollar" for a well-maintained bike. Mileage is fairly high and it has scratches.
Maybe start from $1500 and give yourself room to maneuver. Take someone along who knows these bikes well and get an opinion before you proceed.
Hope this helps

Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

27k miles is nothing if its been well looked after, after all these cbr 6f's are bulletproof (like most honda bikes ) but beware the dreaded cam chain tensioner issue with these bikes especially at that mileage but my F3 one of two has over 55k on her and just replaced the cam chain and tensioner. Runs a dream with many many miles left in her.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM

it has been maintained well. Started right up,and must I say it sounded great. idk many 96's that don't have a scratch on them..but this one well def well maintained.I tried going down a few hundred and he didn't seem like he wanted to, but if i take cash out and show him, maybe he'll bite. I hear how well these hondas really are..thats why i want this one and MIGHT spend a little extra to get it..plus bikes in my town don't come this cheap and this well looked after.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard Taylor!

Kudos for taking the MSF Course. Many of us recommend the MSF Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Its great for beginners & experienced alike.

Agree w/ Shadow on price & having someone who knows bikes do the inspection. W/ $1700 being book value - that's for excellent condition. So, the seller is asking on the high side at $2k.

IF the bike checks out to be in good operating & maintained condition, CASH TALKS...make an offer.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I you like the bike, what does an extra $300 do? Gears...? Helmet? Tell him to throw in a helmet or Jacket? Because book on says $1700...

Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm glad i took it. learned alot, met new people,and had alot of fun. plus got my endorsement. He is asking a little more then blu book, but i see other f3's going for more then this that aren't in the good condition this one in..Plus kbb isn't always full accurate from what i hear. I tried making offer, but having the cash up front is different then verbally talking about a offer..so hope that works..and no extras really. He wants to upgrade, so he is trying to get rid of this..also NADA shows the value is way different then it really is.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO...when buying used, as long as you love what you see...+/- few hundreds? Is no big deal...I lost that much betting on the Patriots to get the first score of Super Bowl...

What I'm saying is that you rather pay a little more to get what you want, then rather settle for something less just to save a little.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM

I do. it's a nice looking bike..Heres a pic of it from last riding season. My first bike,i don't really want something super nice..being in IL as well it's not like i'm going to get to ride it all season anyways. but thanks for your guys's opinions. I really want this bike though. your right a few hundred dollars isn't a big deal..but 1800 don't sound too bad either. And that was a good game, when the pats went up by one, and got the ball back i wasn't too sure what to expect. brady is hands down one of the best in the game.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM