New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Gear shifting ? from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shifting ? from a newbie

Hey everybody,

I'm new to the forum and new to motorcycling. I recently purchased a new CBR600F4i... I know, I know, a lot of bike for a new rider. I took my MSF class and I'm taking it easy as I build my skills and confidence. Anyway, I was wondering at what speed or RPM people typically shift gears at. I know what the owner's manual says, but that seems pretty low. I also know it depends on what kind of riding you're doing. If anyone could give me some pointers, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/10004/2D56713465CE4C03BA64D384C44BBF7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Gear shifting ? from a newbie

hmm some people to take it slow and to "break in" your bike.
Others say to just RIP IT! I ussally shift at 5 or 6000 rpms if im on the street.
And if im in the mood i just go ahead to 15000 rpms.
Really though i think i made a thread about something like this.
https://cbrforum.com/m_131202/mpage_.../tm.htm#131202
Nice bike and i hope you enjoy every moment of it
[8D]

Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 AM

Welcome! I have been around manual cars all my life and can hear a shift for any type of driving. I do the same thing for the cycle. I can just hear it. Might want to follow the link and see what others say, but that's what I do. Have fun and be safe!

Old 08-05-2006, 12:26 PM

First I'd like to say nice choice of bike we could be twins! I took it pretty easy for the first 600-800 miles and believe me it's not long until you hit that I think it was less than a month before I hit 800 I've got 1800 on my bike now and I like to run it 6000-8000 it's kind of loud but it just seems to love running in that range it's so dang smooth.

Mike

Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

Try not to look at the tachometer instead of the road. The road is very important, the motor has a rev limiter so it'll take care of itself.

After a while of beating on your bike, you'll either hear it or you'll hit the rev limiter (a little scary the first time), either way it doesn't matter, just make sure you look down the road, by the time you hit redline in first, you are probably going too fast for the street you are on anyway and if you are looking at the tach instead of the road, very bad things can happen.

If you run to redline in first or second don't not shift. Shift into the next gear and then slow, it'll save you from hearing alot of ugly noises from your transmission. If you forget to shift, then let the bike slow on its own then accelerate a little then shift.

Enjoy and be safe.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:01 PM

if that bike is *New* with zero miles on it, I would drive it VERY VERY VERY easy for the first 800 miles, the manufacture recommends this to allow valve seatting, ect. Not letting the bike go above 4000 or 5000 rpms would be a VERY good idea. But, also allow the bike to move up and down between 1000 and 4000 RPM's often, and dont just keep it at say 4000 rpms all the time. If you ride the bike normal or hard for those first 800 miles parts most likey will fail before their life normal life expentency. Properly break-in of the engine is very important if you want your bike to last a long time. I sometimes ride with a really good honda mechanic, and this is all stuff we have talked about before. Also I would change the oil after 800 miles, during the engine break-in very small metal fragments may collect in the oil, you'll notice when you change your oil and it has kind of a glisten to it in the sun, this is very noticable on lawn mower engines when they are breaking in, lol, I know thats a little off topic isnt it.
Have fun, and welcome

Once your bike is broken-in just shift when it feels right, If I am getting on it, I shift at redline, if I am riding normal, it completely varies, I usualy shift to keep my cruize'n speed at around 5500 rpms, you will soon get used to the sound of the bike and be able to tell what RPM's you are at without looking.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any bike is like a baby......when it's ready to be changed, it will scream out loud. Take this to heart!

Old 08-06-2006, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: HondaKidF1

Welcome! I have been around manual cars all my life and can hear a shift for any type of driving. I do the same thing for the cycle. I can just hear it. Might want to follow the link and see what others say, but that's what I do. Have fun and be safe!
+1

you'll be fine, you can ride it hard n' be chill with it. BUT its still better to just go easy on it for a few hundred miles on it.... even tho its damn hard to not go fast try your best.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

If you drive stick, you'll know. You can just hear it. But you don't necessarily have to shift at a certain RPM all the time. It's good to go through your gears and your RPMs at different times. But don't start getting into higher speeds until the bike has been broken in with at least 500 miles. Also be careful taking turns b/c of the grease that comes on the tires. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM

Thanks everybody! I'm at about 530 miles as of yesterday. I've been taking it pretty easy, keeping it around 4000-5000 rpms (and yes, I've been keeping my eyes on the road... just taking quick looks). When I do run it a little higher, it does seem to like the 6000-7000 range but I haven't been that high very much. Hopefully I'll put enough miles on it this week to start the real fun before too long.

Quick Reply: Gear shifting ? from a newbie